All the Verbal Fellatio for Forbes...

Re: You don't think those two have been successful?

Good grief, each guy has been in the Final Four (Hewitt to the title game). Barnes has had Texas in the NCAA tourney each of his 12 years, with 3 conference titles and a Final Four, along with two other Sweet 16 and two Elite Eight appearances. He might not be a great X and O guy, but to say he hasn't been successful (or Hewitt) is silly.

One fluke tourny run doesn't mean you're a good coach. Hewitt hasn't had a winning conference record since 2003-04. He has a lottery pick and two other possible first rounders on this team and he can't figure out how to get them the ball. He went 2-14 in the ACC last season. Barnes went from No. 1 in the country to unranked and out in the first round, he couldn't even get to the sweet 16 with Durant, the most dominating college player in the past decade. With all the talent Barnes and Hewitt have had, both greatly underachieved.

Didn't they both make the tourney this season? Along with Donovan...who would also quallify under this.

Ya...who would want that.

If you're bringing in top 10 recruiting classes, you probably should have higher standards than the first round. But that's just me, maybe you'd be good with just settling for that.

Hewitt isn't successful IMO. Have you ever looked as his overall record or ACC Record?? Sorry but he is way overrated.

If you're bringing in top 10 recruiting classes, you probably should have higher standards than the first round. But that's just me, maybe you'd be good with just settling for that.
Id be happy to settle for a first round appearance right now. I actually wouldnt mind a BTT win either.

I would much rather have Brownell at Wright St. At least he has proven he can win at each stop he's been at. But how about thinking big. For Christ's sake this program is on life support. You honestly and truly believe Steve Forbes will bring us back from the abyss any time within the next 5 years?

For one, Chris Doyle is not fat. He's strong as a bull. Secondly, that doesn't matter. He's not the one out there giving interviews to the media. He's not the face of the program. Ferentz is. Believe me, I'm not saying it's fair, but that is part of these days. Forbes might be a good assistant, but he's not a guy that's going to play to the masses as the face of the program

Do you think anyone knew who Brownell was before this job opened up? At least some of the older fans will say hey that Forbes coach is from Lone Tree.

Look, Forbes is acknowledged as one of the best recruiters in the business.
If he can sell the recruits, the rest will fall into place.
Clearly, a good looking coach does not squat during the game.
So,what does that leave? The fan base? Forbes looks like a lot of Iowa fans.
The media? Who cares? Are they going to go public with a bias based on looks? Right...in this politically correct society, they would be scorned.

The only thing that really matters is if his appearance drives recruits away...and that is clearly not the case.

I have one standard for Iowa basketball. Make the tournament on a consistent basis. Anything that happens beyond that is just gravy. I don't expect final fours or championships. I just want to be a part of the March situation again. It's been like losing a family member not having that in my life anymore. And that truly is not an exageration.

If others expect more than that, that's their choice. But it's also the attitude that got Iowa basketball in the shape that it's in.

I have one standard for Iowa basketball. Make the tournament on a consistent basis. Anything that happens beyond that is just gravy. I don't expect final fours or championships. I just want to be a part of the March situation again. It's been like losing a family member not having that in my life anymore. And that truly is not an exageration.

If others expect more than that, that's their choice. But it's also the attitude that got Iowa basketball in the shape that it's in.
Agree, how many final fours have we been to? 3? We have no national championships so we cant expect them to come our way.

This is what drives me mad about some Iowa fans. You want this guy because he is from Lone Tree, wherever the F that is.

That shouldn't matter!!!!!!!!!!

Thing bigger for Christ's sake. This type of small-time attitude and expectations hold the program back.

Someone please provide a link to "College Basketball's Hunkiest Head Coaches" so Rod can really get some good candidates.

Like I said, what a joke.

First of all, either you have never lost a family member or you are way too into Iowa basketball. But I wasn't talking about my expectations for Iowa, yes at this point in time I'd be more than happy to just make the tournament. I was referring to the lack of success for coaches like Barnes and Hewitt, guys who bring in top 10 recruiting classes on a regular basis. If you have that kind of talent on your team just making the tournament does not make a season a success.

Do you think someone like Marshall or Grogory should be the face of the program when they don't have anything to sell the fanbase ? I think most Iowa fans want someone who can recruit talent and win games. Not just a poster child for the media.

This is what drives me mad about some Iowa fans. You want this guy because he is from Lone Tree, wherever the F that is.

Thing bigger for Christ's sake. This type of small-time attitude and expectations hold the program back.

What are you talking about? We have listed multiple reasons why Forbes should be considered. Great recruiting, midwest ties, will bring in an up tempo system, learned under some great head coaches, had Juco head coaching experience, maintains great relationships with players,

You've provided info that he isn't camera friendly and he has no head coaching experience. While your guy hasn't had any experience at a high level program.

And we have the small time attitude?

Lets go after Rex Ryan then, he is really good with the media. His playbook consists of 11 x's and 11 o's on each play though so he might have to work on that.

First of all, either you have never lost a family member or you are way too into Iowa basketball. But I wasn't talking about my expectations for Iowa, yes at this point in time I'd be more than happy to just make the tournament. I was referring to the lack of success for coaches like Barnes and Hewitt, guys who bring in top 10 recruiting classes on a regular basis. If you have that kind of talent on your team just making the tournament does not make a season a success.

And I'm saying at Iowa we would love to see that. But obviously I won't be able to convince you of this so I will stop trying. I will only say that I would have no problem having the results that Barnes has had at Texas.

I would much rather have Brownell at Wright St. At least he has proven he can win at each stop he's been at. But how about thinking big. For Christ's sake this program is on life support. You honestly and truly believe Steve Forbes will bring us back from the abyss any time within the next 5 years?

For one, Chris Doyle is not fat. He's strong as a bull. Secondly, that doesn't matter. He's not the one out there giving interviews to the media. He's not the face of the program. Ferentz is. Believe me, I'm not saying it's fair, but that is part of these days. Forbes might be a good assistant, but he's not a guy that's going to play to the masses as the face of the program

Think big?
Have you looked at Brownell's recruiting classes at Wright?
I have....not a single recruit the last four years that had an offer from a power conference school!
You think that is thinking big?

Forbes lured the #4 recruit in the nation to Tenn...and possibly willing to follow him to Iowa....and you want a lick-clone who has never even competed with power conference schools for a recruit,let alone actually sign one? That is thinking big? No, that is thinking a lick redux....

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome....Brownell is lick...same small conference, same small recruits...same old same old.

I do not give a crap where our next coach hails from...just that he can get talent to come to Iowa City...Brownell has not proven he can do that...forbes has....all that matters.

Latest posts