All the panic can stop

sportstalent

The coaching staff has proven that they can close the deal. All the stuff about how Fran and staff can't close can be labled as nonsese as it was when the statements were initially made.
It was amazing the gloom and doom when a recruit went elsewhere. The 2012 class was going to be the class that this staff made headlines, if any. Now they have, so lets see how all this plays out. What is amazing is to look at what Iowa will return when this class hits the floor.
Hopefully, the class isn't done and Iowa can add another quality player to go with the four that are already coming.

What the 2012 class really signifies is that Iowa on the recruting trail is back in the hunt for players that fall between 40-100 on a regular basis, with the potential to get a Top 25 guy. It is doubtful that Elijah Macon comes to Iowa, but still being mentioned is a good thing. The exposure Iowa gets by signing players like Woodbury/Gesell creates more excitement and hope that more Midwest kids will take a serious look at Iowa (hint: Perry Ellis, he has eliminated Iowa long ago, but has serious ties to Iowa...maybe an opporutity with the players signed, Iowa comes back into the picture? Just a thought...no info).
Also, going back to missing out on some of the players Iowa did was not all bad. Cezar at Iowa was a positive by having stories published about what the atmosphere in Carver was like that day. The new facilities are a huge bonus. The fact that Fran is Iowa's coach and the belief that the players have in him is the biggest reason Iowa is going to continue to sign quality players year in and year out. Fran has brought a few things to the Iowa sideline: Tirades, Technicals, Great Facial Expressions, ability to make adjustments in a game, up tempo basketball, but most of all Credibility. What you see with Fran is what you get, he is a firery individual who believes in his players and wants to win. The passion that he coaches with is that same passion he has in recruiting.
Fran is here, Iowa is on the comeback, lets not look back at the last few years of Iowa basketball, lets simply focus on the future of Iowa basketball because with Fran there is a future.

Fran is defenitly showing he can recruit, with a top 50 on scout and #57 on rivals ESPN only shows the top 60 , sf out of Michigan Ziegler, 3 4* pg 2 from Mich and 1 from Wisc as well as top 100 in Jok on rivals, plus a few others i still main tain banking 2 and go for 3 4* players next fall

Well it sure helps me feel better having a couple of 4* recruits commit. Looks like Fran will be able to get the job done here, and I had to figure his hard work would start to pay dividends at some point. Looks like we're seeing it.

Funny how when Cezar turned us down, it was all gloom and doom. But if you think about it, had we gotten Cezar we might not have gotten Gesell which means we might not have gotten Woodbury.
Who knows for sure but it's interesting to consider.

Funny how when Cezar turned us down, it was all gloom and doom. But if you think about it, had we gotten Cezar we might not have gotten Gesell which means we might not have gotten Woodbury.

I think Gessell would be at Iowa even if Cezar was there too.

O, and there is a 0% chance of Ellis coming to Iowa.
I don't disagree, he was just the first player I could think of and I know he hasn't said he is going anywhere yet.
It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple players Iowa is willing to take shots on...kinda like they did with Cezar this year, come Winter/Spring time. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't get Macon and didn't pursue anyone else.

I don't disagree, he was just the first player I could think of and I know he hasn't said he is going anywhere yet.
It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple players Iowa is willing to take shots on...kinda like they did with Cezar this year, come Winter/Spring time. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't get Macon and didn't pursue anyone else.

They HAVE to get another point guard in this class. He is playing with fire by only having one this season.

They HAVE to get another point guard in this class. He is playing with fire by only having one this season.

I don't know that HAVE to is the answer, but it does need to be a priority. Still, I will not feel like Iowa is that bad off, looking at the roster, Iowa will have ball handlers if Gesell were to get hurt his first year. The problem is, if that happens and it is long term, who plays there?
There are players there, but who does that staff hold back to play there?

I don't know that HAVE to is the answer, but it does need to be a priority. Still, I will not feel like Iowa is that bad off, looking at the roster, Iowa will have ball handlers if Gesell were to get hurt his first year. The problem is, if that happens and it is long term, who plays there?
There are players there, but who does that staff hold back to play there?

Who do you see playing point guard that will be on the roster next year? Marble is unproven there and it takes him away from his natural position. It is like walking a tight rope all season and that is not how you rebuild a program. One injury to Cartwright or Gessell could derail the entire season.

Who do you see playing point guard that will be on the roster next year? Marble is unproven there and it takes him away from his natural position. It is like walking a tight rope all season and that is not how you rebuild a program. One injury to Cartwright or Gessell could derail the entire season.

I don't see it being one person...when I look at the roster there are going to be some good ball handlers on the floor at all times. This season, I worry about more than the next, but a major injury to Cartwright or Gesell would be damaging no matter who the back-up is.
Long term this is not the solution, but I also think that the staff would be going out their way to sign someone if they were extremely concerned. If Iowa can't secure a player like Macon, but can get a solid JUCO or a unfound talent to go with this recruiting class then so be it.

I don't see it being one person...when I look at the roster there are going to be some good ball handlers on the floor at all times. This season, I worry about more than the next, but a major injury to Cartwright or Gesell would be damaging no matter who the back-up is.
Long term this is not the solution, but I also think that the staff would be going out their way to sign someone if they were extremely concerned. If Iowa can't secure a player like Macon, but can get a solid JUCO or a unfound talent to go with this recruiting class then so be it.

That doesn't answer the question at all still. Who would bring the ball up the court? Who would be the guy who can get in the paint to make things happen if Gesell goes down?

Do you really feel comfortable with Marble or Ogelsby bringing the ball up against pressure in the Big Ten for an extended period of time?

That doesn't answer the question at all still. Who would bring the ball up the court? Who would be the guy who can get in the paint to make things happen if Gesell goes down?

Do you really feel comfortable with Marble or Ogelsby bringing the ball up against pressure in the Big Ten for an extended period of time?

Marble yes, Oglesby I have not seen play. Either situation is not ideal, but I still would be surprised if there are three scholarships open for the 2013 class. If they don't fill another scholly, I think Iowa has enough players at the 2/3 positions, so it would not surprise me to see Ingram be a combo guard his first season or two.

who exactly is the OP addressing?

The multitude of people who seemingly would not let it go that the staff hadn't brought in a "top flight" recruit since they had been here. Missing on players like Cezar, Gaines, Niang, Carter, Burke, Harris, Katenda, Uthoff, Fant...etc.
If you aren't one that hasn't questioned the recruiting for Iowa, then it isn't you.

Two traits that every player Fran recruits has - they can handle the ball, and they can run.

It wouldn't be ideal losing a pg, but we would survive. No panic.

Ingram might be able to play the point. He has great dribbling skills, he can penetrate and can pass the ball. I still see coach picking up one more point/combo guard. That and a 6'6ish swing player of high rating to McCaffery. If not he banks that last scholly.

The multitude of people who seemingly would not let it go that the staff hadn't brought in a "top flight" recruit since they had been here. Missing on players like Cezar, Gaines, Niang, Carter, Burke, Harris, Katenda, Uthoff, Fant...etc.
If you aren't one that hasn't questioned the recruiting for Iowa, then it isn't you.

I don't think there were a "multitude of people" who were concerned about Fran's recruiting. He brought in 2 top players his first year. Most people are smart enough to realize that you can't turn around a Lick trainwreck in one or two years.

Wouldn't you say the question is answered now?

This

Latest posts