All Eyes on Oklahoma

I just don't see the feasibility of these conferences breaking away from the NCAA. While football is certainly driving things, a lot of these schools really do care about the other sports they have.

For example, the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship has been held 64 times, and won 23 times by Big Ten teams: Michigan has won 9 times, the most in NCAA history. Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, MSU 3 times.

Is anybody honestly going to go to those schools and tell them that they can no longer compete in the NCAA Tourney in hockey with that kind of success? Or that the super-conferences - while withholding the biggest dollars in football from everybody else - can convince all of the other smaller schools - the North Dakotas and University of Denvers - to also bolt the NCAA?

How about Iowa being unable to compete in the NCAA National Championships for wrestling? Many if not most wrestling schools are going to fall outside of these super-conferences as well.

Last edited:
Well, we're seeing a lot of crazy talk these days. But then, I think many of us agree that conferences going beyond 12 teams is pretty crazy too, yet it's happening.

Going to more than 12 teams isn't NEARLY as crazy as 'breaking away from the NCAA'. Going to 24 teams isn't even as ridiculous as that.

Going to more than 12 teams isn't NEARLY as crazy as 'breaking away from the NCAA'. Going to 24 teams isn't even as ridiculous as that.

Dan Patrick said today that he, too, thinks there will be 4 super conferences and they will break from the NCAA. People are talking about it - whether it actually happens remains to be seen. Stay tuned.......

I just don't see the feasibility of these conferences breaking away from the NCAA. While football is certainly driving things, a lot of these schools really do care about the other sports they have.

For example, the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship has been held 64 times, and won 23 times by Big Ten teams: Michigan has won 9 times, the most in NCAA history. Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, MSU 3 times.

Is anybody honestly going to go to those schools and tell them that they can no longer compete in the NCAA Tourney in hockey with that kind of success? Or that the super-conferences - while withholding the biggest dollars in football from everybody else - can convince all of the other smaller schools - the North Dakotas and University of Denvers - to also bolt the NCAA?

How about Iowa being unable to compete in the NCAA National Championships for wrestling? Many if not most wrestling schools are going to fall outside of these super-conferences as well.
Dude, there is no need or dependence on the NCAA any more. It served a purpose, and it still will. The revenue schools leave and form a higher level league. No more need to sully ourselves with the NCAA brand. And the smaller schools stay in the NCAA an they can aspire to be champions of that level. NCAA is just the NAIA with a bigger budget. Take the revenue schools out of the equation and the NCAA can go back to what it really wants to be, what it claims to be. An academics-first student-athlete organization. Meanwhile the big boys can determine rules that better fit their model.

This story is not to the confirmation stage yet, but apparently Oklahoma had some power in this.

The Oklahoman reported Tuesday that the University of Oklahoma would only commit to staying in the Big 12 if the conference ousted Beebe as commissioner and added regulations on ESPN's Longhorn Network.

Dan Beebe working to leave job as Big 12 Conference commissioner, report says - ESPN

I just don't see how forcing Beebee out and adding regulations to the Longhorn Network is going to make for a happy ending? So just my opinion, but Oklahoma stays and then then Texas gets ****** and leaves. I just don't see how this would make a win win situation.

Latest posts