Alford Era Players

I still remember the game Recker first came back from an injury to score like 30 and lead us in overtime against Indiana, or our win against KU, to just name a few. We did win two Big Ten Tournament championships in that time. The first was so unexpected and the second such barn burners. I fondly remember that era, and for some reason it gets slighted.

Mr. Davis beat KU in Lawrence and at Carver Hawkeye in a home and home. When did Alford beat KU?

Hmm, what a surprise, a guy who took 8 years to graduate from Iowa (clearly without an advanced degree based on his writing style and syntax) is anti-Alford. Color me surprised.

Yeah, because doctors (actual practicioners, not people with doctorates in English) are well-reknowned for their writing abilities? Clearly you were educated in Missouri, given the fact that your opinions are so blatantly stupid and ignorant.

Alford was Mr. March? Give me a break. Northwestern State had no business beating us, and we flat out choked it away. That was Alford's best chance to cement a legacy here, and he blew it. Instead, he walks away as a guy who gave full support to a rapist just because said rapist could help us win basketball games.

I have some great memories from the first few years, being in school at Iowa then was pretty neat. Luke Recker will go down as one of my favorites, that season will of course always be what if after he got hurt. That Indiana game at Carver in 00-01 was the loudest I have ever heard it.

I said "games" which is the plural of game. He lost one big game in March to a very talented NWState team that was destined for an upset that day. One game, pal. If you consider NIT games big, then I fear for the future of our fanbase. We never considered NIT games big until our own fans turned inward on Alford and the team and pushed us down the pecking order in the Big Ten. Hawks love to attack their own for no reason other than they all think we should win a national title every single year in every single sport. See, e.g., Jake Christensen, Ron Christensen, Ken O'Keefe, Steve Alford, Sam Alford, Tonya Alford, Pierre Pierce, John Lickliter and Todd Lickliter. The aforementioned people are a million times better Hawks than all of you (to steal a phrase from Ghost) keyboard commandos ever will be. End o' rant!

So, your defense lies with Pierre Pierce? Nice angle!!!

Alford truly was Mr. March. He was nearly unbeatable in November and December, he had a few bad games in January and February, but he never lost big games in March and he never lost to a team Iowa shouldn't lose to.

Love the players from the Alford era but...

Surely you jest???

Might I remind you that we won one, count it, one NCAA game the entire time he was in Iowa City. And have the distinction of being one of the few 3 seeds to lose in the first round. Or were you refering to the one NIT game won during his era.

He was hired to take Iowa Basketball "to the next level". While two Big Ten tournament titles are nice, he most certainly did not take us to that level and in my opinion his time at Iowa began the slide that we are all hoping Coach McCaffery can bring us out of.

Now that we have a new leader for Iowa Basketball can we once and forever put the Alford coaching behind us and move on? Let's get behind Coach McCaffery and the Hawkeyes and cheer them on to the next level we so much desire.

Hmm, what a surprise, a guy who took 8 years to graduate from Iowa (clearly without an advanced degree based on his writing style and syntax) is anti-Alford. Color me surprised.

Hater! Look in the mirror and fix the problem, stop worrying about everyone else.

I said "games" which is the plural of game. He lost one big game in March to a very talented NWState team that was destined for an upset that day. One game, pal. If you consider NIT games big, then I fear for the future of our fanbase. We never considered NIT games big until our own fans turned inward on Alford and the team and pushed us down the pecking order in the Big Ten. Hawks love to attack their own for no reason other than they all think we should win a national title every single year in every single sport. See, e.g., Jake Christensen, Ron Christensen, Ken O'Keefe, Steve Alford, Sam Alford, Tonya Alford, Pierre Pierce, John Lickliter and Todd Lickliter. The aforementioned people are a million times better Hawks than all of you (to steal a phrase from Ghost) keyboard commandos ever will be. End o' rant!

So all I would have to do is get paid by or play for the UofIA and I am a better Hawk then anyone on this board?

Pierre Pierce what a great Hawk, that's how I think of him....

No disrespect to the players of the Alford Era, but Steve alienated a lot of Hawkeye basketball fans through his arrogance, attitude, and mound of frustrating losses. Coach Lickliter came in and just inherited a situation he potentially wasn't prepared for and was unable to energize the fan base.

As a diehard Hawkeye fan for 25 years, I am ready to move on and am excited about the Coach Fran hire. I think he is the perfect fit for us and we need to get behind him as he takes on this challenge. I am looking forward to the 2010-2011 season!

Mr. Davis beat KU in Lawrence and at Carver Hawkeye in a home and home. When did Alford beat KU?

I think it might have been his first year. I stormed the court and then went to Chauncey's for dime draws. Nothing like throwing a 20 dollar bill out for 200 draws.

I think it might have been his first year. I stormed the court and then went to Chauncey's for dime draws. Nothing like throwing a 20 dollar bill out for 200 draws.

I don't think Alford ever beat Kansas. I remember Mr. Davis ending their long home winning streak. Alford did beat #1 UConn at MSG on ESPN in his first game as coach, and it all went downhill from there... I still have that game in VHS tape somewhere!

I also thoroughly enjoyed the beatdown that we put on Missouri in Columbia when they were ranked #3 in the nation!

No disrespect to the players of the Alford Era, but Steve alienated a lot of Hawkeye basketball fans through his arrogance, attitude, and mound of frustrating losses. Coach Lickliter came in and just inherited a situation he potentially wasn't prepared for and was unable to energize the fan base.

As a diehard Hawkeye fan for 25 years, I am ready to move on and am excited about the Coach Fran hire. I think he is the perfect fit for us and we need to get behind him as he takes on this challenge. I am looking forward to the 2010-2011 season!

My thoughts exactly. I'm waiting to hear from the people that wanted uptempo basketball next year and we continue to struggle. Not that uptempo is wrong, but people love to pick apart everything. If we played uptempo with our bench this year the same people would have tried to commit Lick to an insane asylum. Hopefully the recruiting class will help with depth this year.

I don't think Alford ever beat Kansas. I remember Mr. Davis ending their long home winning streak. Alford did beat #1 UConn at MSG on ESPN in his first game as coach, and it all went downhill from there... I still have that game in VHS tape somewhere!

I also thoroughly enjoyed the beatdown that we put on Missouri in Columbia when they were ranked #3 in the nation!

Iowa beat Kansas at home during Alford's 1st year. It was one of those wierd non-conference games in the middle of conference season (I think.)

Steve Alford represents everything that is wrong in the world today.....

Since talking about Steve Alford, how about writing the frist word that comes to mind when you here the name?.?.? here is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the name....

douchelord

He lost one big game in March to a very talented NWState team that was destined for an upset that day.

do you honestly believe what you type? That game was one of the biggest choke jobs in Iowa history and you claim that NW State team was "very talented" and was destined for an upset that day :confused: Iowa BLEW a couple of 18 point leads in that game, both in the 2nd half. 8 years, one tourney win..........'nuff said about the alford era.

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut
Date: 1550

1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

Latest posts