Ahron Ulis

For what it's worth, 247 crystal ball shows 100% Iowa. Although they may have sacrificed a chicken to divine that information. It would be a very nice get!

This would be a nice.... yet I am guessing that if he does commit to Iowa, Rob will put up a post about it and one of the first responses will be "yeah, well it'd be great if Fran could get a PG"

This would be a nice.... yet I am guessing that if he does commit to Iowa, Rob will put up a post about it and one of the first responses will be "yeah, well it'd be great if Fran could get a PG"
Well in the interest of fairness I would say this. This Ulis looks more like a combo guard than a true PG actually if you watch the tape. He mentioned that the Iowa coaches said he would likely play both guard spots.

I think it would be good to get the first commit on board in the 2020 class, and I like Ulis’s potential. He might be coming into a roster with Bohannon, Toussaint, Connor, CJF, and hopefully Wieskamp, so it’s not like he’s going to be asked to contribute a ton as a freshman. With that said his next best offer is DePaul so it’s not like this would be a major recruiting win either.

(I’m with you though that the we need a PG argument is so overplayed and tiring)

Well in the interest of fairness I would say this. This Ulis looks more like a combo guard than a true PG actually if you watch the tape. He mentioned that the Iowa coaches said he would likely play both guard spots.

I think it would be good to get the first commit on board in the 2020 class, and I like Ulis’s potential. He might be coming into a roster with Bohannon, Toussaint, Connor, CJF, and hopefully Wieskamp, so it’s not like he’s going to be asked to contribute a ton as a freshman. With that said his next best offer is DePaul so it’s not like this would be a major recruiting win either.

(I’m with you though that the we need a PG argument is so overplayed and tiring)

I get that, I just get a chuckle about that hill so many want to die on. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Iowa sign a 3 star kid out of NY who later in the process was closer to a 4 star kid that's on the roster NOW. Albeit we have not seen him play yet, but it's like it literally didn't matter. Fran can recruit, land and have a PG on the roster and one in the pipeline but "he can't recruit a PG guy" will still remain. I personally think Mike G was a serviceable PG, I think Jordan is one of the best scoring PG's to ever play here (whether he's a 1 or a 2 doesn't really matter to me if he plays the 1). IMO, it's just lazy troll....and another moving target that fans can use. That's JUST my opinion tho. I am sure it's not every ones.

I get that, I just get a chuckle about that hill so many want to die on. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Iowa sign a 3 star kid out of NY who later in the process was closer to a 4 star kid that's on the roster NOW. Albeit we have not seen him play yet, but it's like it literally didn't matter. Fran can recruit, land and have a PG on the roster and one in the pipeline but "he can't recruit a PG guy" will still remain. I personally think Mike G was a serviceable PG, I think Jordan is one of the best scoring PG's to ever play here (whether he's a 1 or a 2 doesn't really matter to me if he plays the 1). IMO, it's just lazy troll....and another moving target that fans can use. That's JUST my opinion tho. I am sure it's not every ones.
I’m with you... it’s a tired and lazy take.

Hoping Touissaint is the real deal and puts an end to it, although I’m sure those posters will just latch onto something new.

We need a PG commit that has a lot of great offers, to stop the narrative that Fran can't recruit a PG. You didn't know about that unwritten rule?

Until JT proves he’s better than his offer list and ranking, the “Fran hasn’t gotten a PG” narrative will continue to exist. Need to have a PG produce unexpectedly like Morris did for ISU and Halliburton is doing. Neither were hugely recruited but have played beyond their expectations. Maybe it’s their system and Iowa’s will never live up to their ranking or exceed it. Until they do though, expect narrative to continue.

There’s a reason why guys like Ken Miller, Jon Miller, Condon, TK, Howe, and Doc don’t expect much from Joe T, he’s not a nationally ranked PG or an impact guy. All we have to go on is rankings right now and that ranking shows he will be a role player. Fans are putting way too much on this kid because we have been waiting for a playmaker PG under Fran and this one has been played up to be different. Fran plays up a lot of guys and sets them up for failure because they don’t live up to his hyperbole.

PGs need to be quick, able to get in front of people on defense, need to be able to handle the ball, distribute, be the coach and QB on the court. Many players are labeled as PGs in HS, but are not elite, college PG candidates. That is what Iowa has been lacking. You can have 6 "PGs" on the roster and not have a PG.

Until JT proves he’s better than his offer list and ranking, the “Fran hasn’t gotten a PG” narrative will continue to exist. Need to have a PG produce unexpectedly like Morris did for ISU and Halliburton is doing. Neither were hugely recruited but have played beyond their expectations. Maybe it’s their system and Iowa’s will never live up to their ranking or exceed it. Until they do though, expect narrative to continue.

There’s a reason why guys like Ken Miller, Jon Miller, Condon, TK, Howe, and Doc don’t expect much from Joe T, he’s not a nationally ranked PG or an impact guy. All we have to go on is rankings right now and that ranking shows he will be a role player. Fans are putting way too much on this kid because we have been waiting for a playmaker PG under Fran and this one has been played up to be different. Fran plays up a lot of guys and sets them up for failure because they don’t live up to his hyperbole.

I'm not putting anything on the kid. I expect he's a freshman and at least this season, WILL only be a role player. That'd be great IMO, if he can just contribute something to the team this season. I think we'll all be waiting a long time for an Iowa coach to start nabbing up 4 and 5 star PG's, I really do and it doesn't matter what his last name is. So, technically I think you could just say "Iowa coach can't land a PG"... cause history tells us, coach be damned, that's not a position Iowa typically has strong play at.

PGs need to be quick, able to get in front of people on defense, need to be able to handle the ball, distribute, be the coach and QB on the court. Many players are labeled as PGs in HS, but are not elite, college PG candidates. That is what Iowa has been lacking. You can have 6 "PGs" on the roster and not have a PG.

You can have the most prolific shooter in school history play PG and not have a PG. I get it.

You can have the most prolific shooter in school history play PG and not have a PG. I get it.
You can win a lot of games without an elite PG and have a decent to average season, but such teams are most often exposed when they are up against teams with elite talent at the PG position, like the tournament, etc. Then, such teams with less PG talent are rendered helpless and fall back on the solace of a great 22 game season and go home. Just how it works most often.

What’s the “real deal” mean? He had no other P5 offers.
Devyn Marble didn’t have many offers, but ended as a 1st Team All B1G player. Andrew Fleming had several good offers and ended as a role player for Lipscomb.

The point being this isn’t a perfect science. I don’t know if Toussaint will be the real deal or not, but as an Iowa fan I’m hopeful he will be.

Doesn't every recruit everywhere have some level of hyperbole attached to him? Of course a coach is going to talk up his recruits. Are they supposed to say "You know, we took this kid, but we're not sure he's that great."?

Devyn Marble didn’t have many offers, but ended as a 1st Team All B1G player. Andrew Fleming had several good offers and ended as a role player for Lipscomb.

The point being this isn’t a perfect science. I don’t know if Toussaint will be the real deal or not, but as an Iowa fan I’m hopeful he will be.

I think there's a better than average chance that Toussaint and Ulis will be good. Fleming never looked quite right out there, too mechanical forcing the game. Toussaint can play at a completely different speed than most guys and does it under control with his head up completely naturally. You can't teach that. Ulis has the pedigree and training and looks explosive in the lane. Heck at 6'1 he has a highlight on his feed of him absolutely stuffing some dude as well as throwing down some dunks. I'm excited to see what both of these guys can bring.

Latest posts