After watching the film. (Steve Deace observation)

My contention is that we have the best front 4 in the B10 -- perhaps the nation.

Based upon this premise...I am FRUSTRATED that our DL is not being used to impact the game. If allowed to (by changing up to more aggressive coverages, occasionally) our DL could actually impact the game for us. As it stands, they bust their tails trying to get to Chappell & 95% of the time it does -0- good. The ball is gone.

Opposing offensive coordinators (on these dink & dunk teams) KNOW they can't block us. So what do they do? They dink and dunk. They throw to predetermined first reads. That is smart. WE let them dictate to us that they are going to NEGATE our strongest unit.

I'm telling you, for every 1 long TD we might give up in this scenario, we'd have a pick six & Chappel getting blown up by Clayborn from the blindside or planted 3 feet under by Ballard because someone jumped the route on that first read.

I HATE the fact that we have this spectacular front 4 (and arguably the best secondary in the B10) and we let teams scheme away from our strength. I HATE the fact that we let the opponent dictate tempo & spin the clock.

I HATE the fact that when the chips were down Saturday, the defense didn't make the stop.

Hate is a strong word & it doesn't really reflect how I feel about the staff & current state of the program. I see the 'macro' level. I just think with a subtle shift in philosophy, we could really give the Indiana's & NW's of the world fits. Instead, we're having a conversation about what's wrong with our front 4? Nothing is wrong with our front 4...but when you whip your guy on the first 3 plays of a drive & don't even sniff the passer...it's demoralizing (and physically exhausting).

That's why I asked the question of Jared Clauss. I'd be interested to know if he thinks our front 4 is underperforming? Does he think subtle changes in coverage would allow them to be better utilized? I suspect so...

I'm just saying, don't be surprised if we lose Saturday. NW knows how to beat us, they take what we give them.

CJ Bacher has a good article on the NW rivals website, and he points out several great points about NW knowing exactly what to do to beat Iowa.

This is a big game for them.

My contention is that we have the best front 4 in the B10 -- perhaps the nation.

Based upon this premise...I am FRUSTRATED that our DL is not being used to impact the game. If allowed to (by changing up to more aggressive coverages, occasionally) our DL could actually impact the game for us. As it stands, they bust their tails trying to get to Chappell & 95% of the time it does -0- good. The ball is gone.

Opposing offensive coordinators (on these dink & dunk teams) KNOW they can't block us. So what do they do? They dink and dunk. They throw to predetermined first reads. That is smart. WE let them dictate to us that they are going to NEGATE our strongest unit.

I think this is a fair point. I also don't think it's an all or nothing choice (meaning having to choose between either tighter DB coverage or not giving up the big play). If we can reduce the cushion from 5-7 yards down to 3-5 yrds, it may give our DL a few more opportunities to make some big plays without a significant increase in the risk of getting beat deep.

I just don't think that the ball getting out of Chappells hands quickly is a good excuse for a lack of ANY pass rush. Does it make it tougher? Sure, but it shouldn't completely prevent it.

Jon by that logic, we might as well keep the DL on the sidelines. :rolleyes:

You need to get to the QB at all costs.

Latest posts