After all that…

Interesting nuggets on Iowa being ranked in the final poll via Matt Brown STORY in The Athletic

Iowa finished 132nd out of 133 FBS teams in scoring at 15.4 points per game. With so many teams at the bottom of the poll losing their bowl games (eight of the last 10 spots), the Hawkeyes clung to a No. 24 final ranking despite being shut out by Michigan and Tennessee in consecutive games to end the season. I was one of 25 voters who did not rank the Hawkeyes, given how historically inept the offense proved to be.

Iowa is the lowest-scoring team to finish ranked since 1964, when LSU averaged 11.6 points per game but finished 8-2-1 with a No. 7 ranking and Oregon State averaged 13.5 points per game but finished No. 8 with an 8-3 record. Iowa is only the fourth team since poll expansion to 25 teams in 1989 to average fewer than 20 points per game and finish ranked, joining 2015Northwestern, 1994 Washington State and 1993 Clemson.

And by scoring zero points against Penn State, Michigan and Tennessee, Iowa became the first team to suffer multiple shutout losses and finish ranked since 1999 Texas A&M — and the first team to finish ranked with three shutout losses since 1949 LSU.
No one backs into victories quite like our Hawkeyes under KF!!

Can you imagine what this board will be like when Iowa starts churning out a decade of football like Nebraska or Iowa State has? The expectations at Iowa are right where they should be because we all know it can be better.... but at the same time, like keep some prospective. Iowa just won 10 games for what 11th time in school history? Despite the offense, this was argueably one of the best 15 teams the schools has ever fielded? That's where we are as a program. Expecations are good. Our program is in pretty good shape.

Can you imagine what this board will be like when Iowa starts churning out a decade of football like Nebraska or Iowa State has?
This is exactly what's going to happen when Ferentz leaves. I hate it, but it's the future.

I truly believe Woods was the guy we should've promoted to OC a while ago and groomed for HC. Iowa guy with family roots and a history in the program, wants to be there, best recruiter Iowa has ever seen...

Kurt hiring Brian and taking the proverbial ship down with him after refusing to ditch his son will be what everyone sees as the turning point in 10 years looking back. Just like nebraska firing Solich for going 58-19 and winning the conference 3 years in a row, there are some blunders in history that are just blindingly stupid in retrospect.

This is exactly what's going to happen when Ferentz leaves. I hate it, but it's the future.

I truly believe Woods was the guy we should've promoted to OC a while ago and groomed for HC. Iowa guy with family roots and a history in the program, wants to be there, best recruiter Iowa has ever seen...

Kurt hiring Brian and taking the proverbial ship down with him after refusing to ditch his son will be what everyone sees as the turning point in 10 years looking back. Just like nebraska firing Solich for going 58-19 and winning the conference 3 years in a row, there are some blunders in history that are just blindingly stupid in retrospect.
Hope you're wrong but the odds of nailing the next hire is pretty low. It just is. Woods would keep the train on the tracks. All the HS coaches and recruiting relationships would be maintained. Minimal changes amongst the staff. There's a lot of reasons why Woods would be the perfect guy. But it doesn't seem likely he'll get it.

You do make yourself a convenient target.
Makes no sense. I made the joke so a target for what and you talk about anger and are serious about some college football. If you don't get a chuckle about being second to last in offense and getting shut out 3 times and getting a top 25 finish then I just don't know.

Just curious but why do you think this way? Ferentz doesn’t walk on water. The last time Iowa football was truly irrelevant was in the 1970s which by rough math was 50 years ago.

You know ranked teams have recruiting advantages, kind of like ten-win seasons. Again, if you're not excited by Iowa finishing ranked you are no longer a fan or are very disconnected from reality. Guessing both in most cases. What deviation of mentality would cause an actual Iowa fan to disparage a team in the final top 25?

HEAR HEAR HEAR on Make a GIF

Hear Hear

Makes no sense. I made the joke so a target for what and you talk about anger and are serious about some college football. If you don't get a chuckle about being second to last in offense and getting shut out 3 times and getting a top 25 finish then I just don't know.
You are a waste of my time. Go find another team to bash. Bye.

Help us Obi-Woods Kenobi, you're our only hope....

(eye roll)

Coaches Poll: Iowa is #22. Pissed yet, guffus? Pissed yet, ajd87?
Of all the schools with legitimate resources, in the right conference, etc…in the new p5 fbs, that’s literally middle of the pack. Safe. No risky recruiting, no flamboyant or risky coaches, no head coach dancing around with other schools, no ncaa infractions, no embarrassing sideline antics (sorry fran), recruits iowa boys, huge walk on program and nakes sure the “feel good” stories live on.

Soft early schedule to ensure momentum into conference and make a bowl game nearly a cinch. Win at least three conference games.

Ribse/repeat and stay off the radar of the big boys because they “cheat”, lose their coach and have heavy turnover amongst players and coaches.

And geez…we could end up being illinois, nebraska or Minnesota for gosh sakes and we certainly can’t risk that happening because we wouldn’t be guaranteed the outback bowl any longer

All of that makes sense. Maybe Woods is under consideration. Have you heard otherwise? Totally agree that we would be in a better situation had he reassigned Brian (being kind here) and put Woods in the OC position. It’s obvious that things wouldn’t be worse……….. oh and hire a QB coach who was actually a QB.

Just curious but why do you think this way? Ferentz doesn’t walk on water. The last time Iowa football was truly irrelevant was in the 1970s which by rough math was 50 years ago.

Funny how the woes me people were out when Hayden retired. You had to go back to the early fifties when Iowa was relevant before Hayden came in. Many were very sceptical about hiring Hayden. Also hand clinging on how we let Stoops slip away.

Scratching my head on the all is well folks. Almost dead last in offense is not all is well. If left up to Kirk Brian would still be coaching next year after all we won ten games.

We are all going out on a limb assuming Kirk hires a competent offensive coordinator. How many years ago was it that we had one of those. What if we get another Brian hire? Someone from a geriatric ward?

Latest posts