After 4 games, there's not many areas of concern..........

Remember when the thumbsuckers were whining about the
Hawkeye offensive line ??

Thanks and Congrats to Brian Ferentz and the Hawkeyes for silencing the
thumbsuckers.

#goHawks

Don't let it get to your heads fans. First 4 were cream puffs. Prove me wrong

Cream puffs is a bit strong. I think Pitt will end up being a bowl team and ISU isn't going to be good but it's a rivalry game. But overall not a hard 4 games with regards to strength of schedule.

That said I think today showed we have some issues along both offensive and defensive lines. There are signs they could be good, but also some times when they looked a bit rough. That is my main concern but it isn't a huge concern yet. The B1G schedule and our first game in it will give me a better idea as to where we're at at this point in the season.

Exactly! Beat Wisconsin up there and we can feel good about this team, lose and we are 0-1 in conference and these first 4 wins mean nothing. We haven't played a decent team yet. Not even average.

In the next game, Wisconsin has the better offensive line and the better defensive line. Iowa is going to have to be tricky to win. Passes on first down. BLITZES. Stack the box. Innovative play calling. Go Hawks and go coaches. Prepare for this game.

Exactly! Beat Wisconsin up there and we can feel good about this team, lose and we are 0-1 in conference and these first 4 wins mean nothing. We haven't played a decent team yet. Not even average.

So you believe Pitt isn't going to a bowl game or going to be decent the rest of the year? You could be right but I think they will be good enough for 7-8 wins this year. That would qualify, in my book, as a decent team.

It was a pretty easy September slate for sure but creampuffs might be a little harsh. Pitt looks like they have a pretty physical team and their QB this year looks quite a bit better than who they had last year which makes a world of difference. Probably going to end up in the bottom half of the ACC but they have the look of a team that won't back down. They remind me a bit of Dantanio's MSU teams prior to 2010. Very physical but not ready for prime time.

North Texas and ISU outside of their WRs are a joke. Ill St is tough to gauge because of their level of competition.

Bottom line, Iowa did what decent teams should do. Go 4-0.

As for the OP, Iowa's skill position skill position speed is still a major area of concern. A lot of those quick sideline routes to 89, 83, & 4 that worked moderately the last month will get snuffed out pretty easily.

So you believe Pitt isn't going to a bowl game or going to be decent the rest of the year? You could be right but I think they will be good enough for 7-8 wins this year. That would qualify, in my book, as a decent team.

Iowa went to a bowl game last year.

Pitt is ok but we squeaked by them at home. Wisconsin will be a much better team on the road

And at the same time, I've seen Iowa teams, play pretty much the same sched. and look F L A T.

SO GOOD !

The O-line looks quite good. Most of them are have very little experience and are showing they can step up. Even guys like Daniels who are second string have shown they can mix things up. This should be fun the next three years. The line will get a little better each game.

I'd say after 4 games there's improvement at nearly every position...and with many individual players. The guys on this team clearly put in a lot of work in the off-season, it wasn't just talk. Damn proud of 'em. Somebody or something finally got through to Kirk, and he has made some changes as well.

How much improvement...we'll know in another month. Pitt was a solid opponent, but Ill St, ISU and North Texas aren't exactly murderer's row.

We do know this...
- CJ is what we all thought he could be (well, most of us)
-Canzeri is a great back now that he's healthy
-Drew Ott is a monster
-Desmond King is All Conference

Let's reconvene this thread after a month of Big Ten play.

In the next game, Wisconsin has the better offensive line and the better defensive line. Iowa is going to have to be tricky to win. Passes on first down. BLITZES. Stack the box. Innovative play calling. Go Hawks and go coaches. Prepare for this game.

No offense, but I think you're wrong on both. Wisky's Oline is banged up pretty good in addition to replacing 3 starters. This is not the Wisky Oline of old. And I'd say that Ott and Johnson are both Top 5 in the conference at their positions. Just my $.02 worth...

Iowa went to a bowl game last year.

Yup. So what is your definition of a "decent" team? I guess mine is a team that has a winning record and has won games in a power 5 conference. I'm not saying Iowa was good last year, but when somebody says decent, I guess I need more context. I consider us decent last year, but not good.

There are not many areas of concern? I disagree, and I tend to be very positive about IOwa football as a general rule. Again this week, there will be quite a lot to go over in game film.