After 2 games....what say you now?

NCHawker

Do you have the same take on the 2017 hawkeyes that you had before the season started?

Have you seen anything that surprised you so far ?

If you revised your W/L prediction, what would it be now?

Which teams are :

Likely losses?

50/50 ?

Likely wins?

I like what I've been seeing. I like the changes. I don't know if we'll be world beaters but I finally feel like we have a chance to play to or even beyond our talent level. The last 5 years we've been worse than our talent level on offense. The whole was less than the sum of the parts, imo. Ironically, now, more than anything, we just need to get our run blocking and defense going and we should be pretty solid.

Last edited:
Nate Stanley looks very good standing tall in the pocket and playing with poise. The passing game is looking much much better. Wadley and Butler provide a dynamic running game punch. Keep backing up the opponent safeties and corners and linebackers and the running game could be amazing.

The defense had issues the first few games last year into the middle of the season. They need to get the scheme back they had the last few games of last year.

I still think the hawks are going to lose 4-5 games. It is hard to see them beating PSU but they can, OSU will be tough and at MSU and Wisky and Nebby will be tough.

The hawks could be a pretty good team with a 6-6 or 7-5 record.

I say, pretty much as expected....except for the defense getting dinged up in Ames.

Akrum is gold.
Nate will get better every week.
Nick Easley was a great add.
BF is still finding his rhythm, but the play calling is promising.
Lots of young talent...we wondered who would emerge first. It's ISM. Who's next?
Defense is good...after a "go to school week" in Ames...let's see if they can be really good.
Keep an eye on AJ Ep's development...it could be key to the above.
Butler is an explosion waiting to happen.
There will be at least 2 more players emerge by mid October.

If this squad grows as many KFz teams have.... this could be an 8 win team. Predicted losses to Penn St/Ohio St/Wisconsin the rest are all winnable.

Personally, am quite surprised with quality of QB and WR play. Those two positions haven't cost us a game (yet) and have won a game (ISU).

Would like to see more out of Butler. The better he is, the better AW will be.

North Texas game is a throw away (I know, I know, NDSU). Our true barometer comes on Sep 23rd.

Personally, am quite surprised with quality of QB and WR play. Those two positions haven't cost us a game (yet) and have won a game (ISU).

Would like to see more out of Butler. The better he is, the better AW will be.

North Texas game is a throw away (I know, I know, NDSU). Our true barometer comes on Sep 23rd.

NO... North Texas does not = NDSU That should be pretty obvious

The receiving has been a very pleasant surprise. I thought it was supposed to be gloom and doom. With Stanley being pretty much on target ( got to improve on the deep balls ) ISM, Easely, JVB, Hockenson, Fant......It just keeps going on and on. I guess this is what has got me the most stunned. AW and JB will be running rampant before this season is over. I don't like if's but I'll use it anyway. If this dee gets back to form the Hawks will hang with anybody in the B1G. The play calling has progressed nicely and I'm sure will evolve game after game. Pretty excited to watch them improve as the season moves along.

I like what I am seeing on offense. However, the defense needs to change......they are superb against traditional offenses, Michigan for example. But when playing the Floridas, Stanfords, Penn States, our lack of speed at LB is exposed. We got lucky at ISU. I see two losses; Penn State and Wisconsin, PSU because of the above and Wisconsin because it will be a slugfest and could go either way. No longer afraid of OSU at home, they are a mess.....they'll still win 10 games, but they are not a NC team, or even a playoff team in my humble opinion.

QB and WR play has been much better than expected. TEs look very solid. Running game still needs to step up but I'm confident it will as we settle in with the OL and Butler gets used to the offense. Would like to see a 3rd running back get a chance to emerge.

Defensively, about what I expected.

Special teams have been very good and need to be all year.

B1G West, Wisconsin is who we thought they were and they are still the team to beat and schedule is in their favor this year. The only thing that might stop them is the injury bug and they have plenty already. Nebby and especially NW look very beatable and 2nd place in the B1G West is the most likely outcome for us.

Sticking with my 8-4 projection and 5-4 in the B1G but 9-3 and 6-3 is quite possible if we see the defensive secondary play improve.

1. We really don't know where the Hawks are at as both Wyoming and ISU were not complete teams with a lot of depth. Both teams had some of the best skill players the Hawks will face all year, especially ISU. Many of those guys were Rhodes players?

2. In both games the Hawks had stretches where they were just plain bad.

3. The new offensive play calling is for the most part a plus though without being pressed, after a TD or early in the game the play calling was conservative.

4. The inside running game is non existent due in part to stacking the box which is making Stanley look good at times as there are openings.

5. Stanley does well at 1 on 1 coverage when he throws over the D and on throwing to the open guy (oft wide open) on short routes when the D is stacking and/or playing deep. Against the Big, he will mostly play defenses that aren't going to stack as much or allow shorter routes AND will have faster 2ndary. He is a far cry better than some of the painful QB play we've seen since....well a long time except for CJ in 2015.

6. Last year Wadley was in complement to tDaniels. This year they don't really complement each other as much.

7. Need to throw more to Wadley

8. Big teams will get bodies on Wadley more. ISU did do a decent job of coming in low on him to take him down, but in the open field they were awful. That won't happen as much. Probably a result of ISU not being complete on D.

9. A team not on radar that concerns me is NW. They will force Iowa to play face to face. We expect that out of other teams, but NW is oft overlooked. They are like our ISU in the Big in so many ways.

`0. No way to tell yet, but I'm loving it so far. If they lose I don't think it will be a complete sell out to playing not to lose. There will be glimpses for sure but not the general strategy. I'm not blaming David. I think BF being an F has more privilege.

Unfortunately even 10-2 won't win the West this year. I think we are destined for third place behind Wisconsin and Nebraska. 8-4.

Agree of all offense notes so far - I am hoping our pass defense will improve dramatically. After watching the Nebraska game last week, I am not worried about them as much as before. I think we will know a lot more of where we stand after the PSU game. I'm still hoping for 10-2

I had 8-4 and had them at 2-0 to start, so, no... no changes yet... but the Offense has been better then I expected.

Nothing changed in terms of the W/L as i had them at 2-0 and 8 wins.

Definitely surprised to see 8 passing TDs and 1 rushing TD after 2 games. I'm not worried about the running game. I think Daniels is a big difference maker so having him in the lineup and now that the offense has showed we can pass, the Defenses are going to have to start to respect our passing game more and the rushing attack will open up.

At this point, I think the D is the hardest to figure out because there was such a contrast in the quality of play between the 2 games.

Before the season I had them sneaky good at 9 wins, and I still have them there. I think they win one of Penn State/Ohio State/Wisconsin, but they lose one of Nebraska/Northwestern/Minnesota to finish with 3 losses.

Assuming the defense corrects itself this week and in the following weeks, and injuries are avoided, I'm positively positive about the rest of the season.

Good question. So far I'd say they are where I thought they'd be. However how they got here sure isn't. I thought Iowa would be 3-0 or 2-1 going into the PSU game. I thought the ISU game would be tricky as all get out. I figured if Iowa were to win that it'd have been a slug fest of Iowa running the ball all over them. Needless to say that's not quite how it went with Stanley airing it out and playing so well. I don't think we can ask for a whole lot more other than wishing we were healthier. Some of the play be it Oline, QB or safties can be cleaned up and improved on. I don't think we've seen the best running game yet of the year either (by a long shot) so I look forward to that.

Latest posts