Adrian Clayborn

What's with all the Clayborn dissing on here, he was an amazing Hawkeye and WAS double and triple teamed all year. His very first play of his senior year he was illegally chop blocked from behind by an E Illinois player, not to mention double teamed on the play as well...I was about 20 yds from the play and I about lost it when I saw him come up limping....yet he kept playing.

In case you forgot we all rejoiced when he told the idiot fox reporter he "loved Iowa, and was coming back next season" at the conclusion of the Orange Bowl MVP award ceremony. Adrian was the best DE Iowa has ever had, period. 2010 was a big disappointment, get over it. He is an outstanding citizen and represents the Iowa brand very well as do so many other former players.

the whole "he was double-teamed" argument is and was a myth. For whatever reason he was not the same player as a senior he was as a junior. He took A LOT of plays off.

FALSE on both accounts. He was double and triple teamed on nearly every passing play last season. While he may have looked like he was taking plays off it was late in games and he was just gassed. I watched every snap of last season's games miltiple times and to say he wasn't schemed against is just ignorant.

I think he is slimmer this season and looks like his junior year. I do think he bulked up too much last season and it cost him some explosion. he is playing the run well this season and is a team player. If he doesn't make the tackle he is often involved in the play.

The other issue was the scheme held him back personally a bit. He didn't have AJ and Angerer at LB as a senior to clean up messes. With our inexperience at LB his senior year he was forced into a contain roll often

This 1000%!

The fact that some on this board couldn't tell that was the case from watching games is hilarious. Watch games the DL especially the DE were in contain roles a huge number of snaps last year. In Tampa's scheme he is much more free to just rush the passer.

Triple teamed. Lol.

You are crazy if you think he played with high motor often last year and even crazier if you dont think he took lots of plays off.

Oh jeez... You are right.. he was definitely never triple teamed... :rolleyes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcgNB6TXAEY"]Denard and the Michigan Wolverines get ready to meet Mr ... - YouTube[/ame]

...And now you look like an idiot. Good job.

Last edited:
You either didn't actually watch the games last season or were too drunk to now remember correctly.

Ironic. I'm starting to doubt you watched. I'm guessing you sat on the message boards and read some posts of people complaining and decided Clayborn didn't try.

Either that or you lack the knowledge/observation skills necessary to see what other posters have pointed out. Clayborn had to contain often and he was seeing different blocking schemes that were in place FOR HIM, which included double teams, chop blocks, and triple teams (see above video.) Which takes a toll on someone throughout the course of the season. Clayborn was a great hawk and he played with heart, whether you want to believe it or not.

You gotta take anything John Lynch says with a grain of salt (Buc homer).
Clayborn is just another guy in the NFL.

Oh jeez... You are right.. he was definitely never triple teamed... :rolleyes:

Denard and the Michigan Wolverines get ready to meet Mr ... - YouTube

...And now you look like an idiot. Good job.

Seriously dude good job. You picked one play out of how many to find one example?

I dare you to go back and watch how many times he was blocked one on one. How many plays he gave up on in the run game and didn't even bother to chase.

You would be surprised what opposing coaches had to say about him on the clinic circuit and what some of his own coaches in house had to say after the year.

Seriously please go back and watch the season in its entirety and tell me what percentage of doubles and triples he saw.

Ironic. I'm starting to doubt you watched. I'm guessing you sat on the message boards and read some posts of people complaining and decided Clayborn didn't try.

Either that or you lack the knowledge/observation skills necessary to see what other posters have pointed out. Clayborn had to contain often and he was seeing different blocking schemes that were in place FOR HIM, which included double teams, chop blocks, and triple teams (see above video.) Which takes a toll on someone throughout the course of the season. Clayborn was a great hawk and he played with heart, whether you want to believe it or not.

Yes. Also a few other things people forget/are not smart enough to realize:

- Coaches had him put on extra weight last year. This year he is slimmed down and it shows.
- Weak DL depth meant little subbing on the DL. Just look at the DL this year to see why the coaches didn't sub last year. I don't care how in shape a DE is, he's going to wear down eventually when asked to be Superman every game by the coaches.
- Poor LB play allowed opponents to extend drives with the short passing game, which effectively removes the DL from the game.

Seriously dude good job. You picked one play out of how many to find one example?

I dare you to go back and watch how many times he was blocked one on one. How many plays he gave up on in the run game and didn't even bother to chase.

You would be surprised what opposing coaches had to say about him on the clinic circuit and what some of his own coaches in house had to say after the year.

Seriously please go back and watch the season in its entirety and tell me what percentage of doubles and triples he saw.

The general consensus is that he was frequently double-teamed/had a back ready for chip blocks. You're the one challenging that assertion.

I'd say the burden of proof is on you.

Dude, give it up. You just got owned about as bad an anyone's ever been owned on this board. Your best bet is just to cut your losses and re-register under a different username.

Even Carimi had a back to chip on Clayborn. The assertion that he wasn't doubled is assine.

No.

Gabe Carimi vs. Adrian Clayborn - YouTube

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=zin3JvllXm0[/ame]

Not a single double or triple in the entire video with the exception of a zone combo with the TE and tackle on the goal line.

Last edited:

Maybe we would. Why don't you share and we'll see?

To summarize, are you saying injuries weren't a factor last year, he regularly took plays off not because he was hurt or gassed but because he's lazy, and now all of a sudden has rediscovered a work ethic that has made him successful at the next level?

Possible, but seems implausible.

I am convinced that there are some people on here that are literally incapable of being happy.

AC is tearing it up, and is one of a few bright spots on that Bucs team. I have watched a couple games and he is playing hard and flying to the ball. When other teams run a stretch right, he doesn't just give up and I have seen him multiple times be in on a tackle on the opposite sideline.

AC is going to be really good in the NFL, and he was one of the best Hawkeyes ever. why can't some of you just accept that and be happy rather than trying to tear everyone down?

The video apparently consisting of 15 plays proves:

1. He was NOT double-teamed for these 15 plays

AND

2. He did NOT take these 15 plays off. Quite the contrary.

I subscribe to the theory that his biggest problem last year was lack of substitution on the Defensive Line and teams scheming differently for him.

And yes we also failed miserably this year to rotate in a backup tailback to spell Coker and challenge the defense with a speedier back.

Not to mention running AROB into the ground last year and into a concussion that quite possibly started a chain of events that led to the premature end of his Hawkeye career.

I digress. Only slightly.:mad:

That video shows 15 plays. Wisconsin ran 64 offensive plays against Iowa last year. I think that video is inconclusive on the subject of Clayborn being double teamed against Wisconsin last year.

He was getting handled by one person on that video. That's evidence that he wasn't "constantly being double or triple teamed" and was still rendered ineffective. Anyone who objectively watches plays from last year can recognize how many times he was simply over powered even without blockers receiving help. Nobody said he never got double teamed. The point is that there are plenty of times where he was getting killed one-on-one, so you can't just simplify his ineffectiveness to "he was always double or triple teamed".

He didn't have a very good year last year, you can admit that, right? No reason to be sensitive.

edit: I don't mean he had a bad year, it just wasn't as dominant as the year before.

Last edited:

Latest posts