Adam Woodbury Update from Dave Telep ESPN

PatrickAdamovicz

This was part of Telep's "Shooting 3's" article. He is reporting from Lebrons Academy. Sounds like Fran is on him good.

1. Woodbury's no one-hit wonder

One of the big questions I had coming into the month was could Adam Woodbury (Sioux City, Iowa/East) replicate his NBPA Top 100 Camp effort? He may not, but he's taken the next step. Woodbury achieved the ultimate camp compliment when teammates -- and this is revolutionary -- actually passed him the basketball in the post!

The single biggest change I've seen is the way Woodbury sees himself. Now that he has the NBPA MVP trophy above his TV at home (true story), he's more confident in his game, himself and his shots.

Recruiting wise, Woodbury fesses up that Iowa has been on him the longest; Hawkeyes coach Fran McCaffery wouldn't let him out of his sights on Thursday. Stanford, Minnesota and Ohio State are big time in the mix as well; each had their head coaches at LeBron James Skills Academy. Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Wisconsin are also looking.

I think Iowa landing a big time PG would REALLY help in his recruitment. Looks like Iowa's to lose. Hopefully he wont Skype Roy on signing day.

I know it's stupid to get so invested in one kid. But if we lose this guy, I'm gonna be sick to my stomach.

This is the sentence that I like the best:

Hawkeyes coach Fran McCaffery wouldn't let him out of his sights on Thursday.

To me it still seems that Adam will be wearing a Hawkeye uniform next year. The Minnesota football recruit OL Jonah Pirsig has the Hawks in his top three with Minnesota and Wisconsin. He is one of the top offensive tackles in the Midwest. This is what he says about the possibility of staying in Minnesota, his home state:

"I really like the traditions at Iowa and Wisconsin, but Minnesota does not have as much of one. I do like that at Minnesota I can be a part of starting the new tradition. Building a new legacy and being one of the players to start a tradition is actually very exciting."

I have a feeling that Adam feels his lifelong loyalty to the Hawks and will commit. He will bring the outstanding tradition back to Iowa.

Fran knows how big a recruit Adam would be for his program and his career at Iowa. I am glad he is focused in on him like a laser. It is the home stretch now,with maybe only 2 more months before he commits....keep the attention flowing,Fran!

This is a funny line, "... Woodbury achieved the ultimate camp compliment when teammates -- and this is revolutionary -- actually passed him the basketball in the post!"

Fran knows how big a recruit Adam would be for his program and his career at Iowa. I am glad he is focused in on him like a laser. It is the home stretch now,with maybe only 2 more months before he commits....keep the attention flowing,Fran!

Or he is spending all his time on a kid who is just keeping Iowa in the mix because of loyalty and in reality isn't considering Iowa at all with all the other higher and much better programs recruiting him. Therefore, Fran will miss on Woodbury and also a lot of other quality "big men" because he's been focused on one. I'm concerned we need an impact "big" because after seeing Olaseni in person in PTL, he isn't going to provide much for a couple of seasons (would be nice to redshirt him). Olaseni is a project for sure and Fran can't afford those right now if he wants to win.

Or he is spending all his time on a kid who is just keeping Iowa in the mix because of loyalty and in reality isn't considering Iowa at all with all the other higher and much better programs recruiting him. Therefore, Fran will miss on Woodbury and also a lot of other quality "big men" because he's been focused on one. I'm concerned we need an impact "big" because after seeing Olaseni in person in PTL, he isn't going to provide much for a couple of seasons (would be nice to redshirt him). Olaseni is a project for sure and Fran can't afford those right now if he wants to win.

Are you actually able to sleep at night? In my experience, people who worry about everything as much as you do have difficulty sleeping.

Ryno, this isn't Coach McCaffery's first rodeo. While he may be hitting Woodbury hard, I am sure he and the staff are keeping other options alive.

If rumblings are true that he and Gessell would like to play together, man, wouldn't it be sweet if they both pulled the trigger here in the next month and join the Hawks?

I'm going to be excited about Iowa basketball either way. But dang, that would be sweet.

Which is absolutely furthest from the truth. In fact, I'm more than sure that Adam has extreme interest in Iowa.

I know it's stupid to get so invested in one kid. But if we lose this guy, I'm gonna be sick to my stomach.

This is how I find myself feeling as well. And I also find it ridiculous to care what a high school kid thinks.

Latest posts