Adam Robinson - Two observations

He is not one of the best in the Big 10. Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn St and Michigan have better backs.

Please provide evidence to support this assertion. You can have Clay and Royster, but I think there will be scant evidence to prove that any back at Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, or Illinois is better.

Please provide evidence to support this assertion. You can have Clay and Royster, but I think there will be scant evidence to prove that any back at Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, or Illinois is better.

Darius Willis is not too far away from breaking out. He could be a star. I'm not sure I would take any one of MSU's backs over A-Rob, but the trio is EXTREMELY effective. Who does Michigan have? Robinson is the real source of their running game. Saine and Herron have not lived up to their hype, ever.

I'll give you Clay, Royster, and LeShoure (he could very well be the most underrated player in the Big Ten). But top 4 still counts as one of the best.

I don't know why it is sacrilege to admit that A-rob is a physically limited RB. He is not explosive. He doesn't accelerate very well, he doesn't sprint very well, he doesn't jump very high. There is a reason nobody wanted him out of high school, it is because physically he is limited.

That said he has one huge physical asset, balance. A-rob has great balance. If you don't hit him square he will bounce off of you. He also has many of the intangibles you desire a RB. But A-rob will never be an explosive RB, or have explosive cutting ability. A-rob barely lifts his feet off the ground when he runs for Pete's sake.

If fastest back = best back, then Paul Chaney would be our starting RB.

So who is a better back, the guy with the fastest 100 or the guy with the fastest 40......maybe neither because it is only one part of the total RB package.

A. Robinson has been a godsend to this team considering all that has happened in the backfield in the last 2 years. He just keeps getting it done and his attitude may be his biggest strength.

If fastest back = best back, then Paul Chaney would be our starting RB.

So who is a better back, the guy with the fastest 100 or the guy with the fastest 40......maybe neither because it is only one part of the total RB package.

A. Robinson has been a godsend to this team considering all that has happened in the backfield in the last 2 years. He just keeps getting it done and his attitude may be his biggest strength.

I'll agree. He has been a godsend. Plays hard, runs hard. A true team player. I love Robinson. I just don't think he's one of the best backs in the Big 10.

I'll agree. He has been a godsend. Plays hard, runs hard. A true team player. I love Robinson. I just don't think he's one of the best backs in the Big 10.

By all means, he shouldn't be. But the Big 10 isn't as stacked at running back as it used to be, and there are backs in the league who are more talented and just not getting it done (see: Saine and Herron at OSU). A-Rob is, I admit, far from the most TALENTED back. But there's more than just talent that goes into being one of the best backs. A-Rob is less talented than quite a few backs in the Big 10, but there is only a small handful that get the job done as well or better than he does.

By all means, he shouldn't be. But the Big 10 isn't as stacked at running back as it used to be, and there are backs in the league who are more talented and just not getting it done (see: Saine and Herron at OSU). A-Rob is, I admit, far from the most TALENTED back. But there's more than just talent that goes into being one of the best backs. A-Rob is less talented than quite a few backs in the Big 10, but there is only a small handful that get the job done as well or better than he does.

Well said.

The story about JB's recruiting is bunkum. JB was a signee before AR was even offered the "gray shirt" deal.

Whoever extolled AR's balance is right. But what seems to get lost in the fans' obsession w/ his lack of home run speed is his quickness in close quarters. If you'd ever seen him play PG in hoops, you'd understand how freaking quick the kid is w/ his first step and changing direction, if only barely, and blowing by a stationary or closing defender.

I do worry sometimes that he takes too many hits at the end of runs. It's great for fans to see a guy driving for every inch, but sometimes you hafta get on the ground.

You don't have to be fast and play in Iowa's offense. Smart, yes.....but not fast. At RB as long as our line does it's job, Robinson just has to know where to go and then get there. It truly is the beauty of what Iowa does. I can't think of any other college program that has an offense and defense that can compete with just about any other team without elite talent.

Latest posts