ACC Blowing Up?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big 10 go to 24 teams, and have the Great Lakes conference and the Atlantic Coast Conference. It will be just like the NFL, with a multi round playoff.

I suspect that as a conference that is still an academic conference that Delaney is not amused by the lack of academics going on in SEC Athletics. Which is why I think you are going to see winning a B1G Championship become harder and more significant. Also - I think that as the tea leaves fall, Notre Dame will be forced to join.

I also think you are going to see the non conference games go down to 1 game for protected rivalries such as Iowa State.
I agree with much of this. When I said in a previous thread that Big Jim is going to pull rank over the NCAA, this is what I meant. When the B1G is at 20 or 24 teams, who needs the NCAA at that point? Not us, no need for out-of conference games, no need for the NCAA. We can set our own rules. In the interim, I think we go to 10 conference games in football in the very near future.

Interesting post and I would not be surprised if Delany has a vision similar to this. I think he would try to pull something like this off if he had a dance partner in the Pac12. That would make the annual Rose Bowl the national championship game or at least a semi final game every year. This would lock out the mid majors have the Big 12 and the SEC could meet in the Sugar/Fiesta Bowl and the winners play each other.
it seems most of this has already occurred. I see no reason to involve the ACC in this already settled matter. Just invite their most valuable schools to join our party.

Absolutely amazes me that the ACC is not strong and possible going away. From an academic perspective, it is second to none with Duke, UNC, UVA, etc. It has football powerhouses (albeit, they've been down lately). It has been arguably (or not) the best basketball conference in the past 20ish years. Growing up in BIG country, its all BIG for me, but looking at this objectively, I just don't get it.

Unrelated, but where is the PAC 12 in all this? Can they sit idle and do nothing? To me, the P12 doing nothing, puts them in the same position as they were as 10 team conference.

Unrelated, but where is the PAC 12 in all this? Can they sit idle and do nothing? To me, the P12 doing nothing, puts them in the same position as they were as 10 team conference.

They really do not need to do anything. The Pac12 really has no competition in the west, they have the pick of whoever they want. It would not make any sense for them to go after schools on the east coast.

They really do not need to do anything. The Pac12 really has no competition in the west, they have the pick of whoever they want. It would not make any sense for them to go after schools on the east coast.

Also, there's not really a need for any of this expansion business.

Surprising really, I always thought if one of the major conferences was going to explode it would be the Big 12. But I will believe it when I see it, hard to tell if this story is legit.

It looked that way right up until Bowlsby took the commish job. Right then you saw the Delaney, Scott, Bowlsby, Fox alliance and the ACC's days were numbered.

Latest posts