ACC Blowing Up?

I think if the Big 10 can add Northern Illinois and Western Michigan, we could be set. It keeps all the teams in the same region and both schools are up-and-comers and could be potential power houses in the next few years.

I think if the Big 10 can add Northern Illinois and Western Michigan, we could be set. It keeps all the teams in the same region and both schools are up-and-comers and could be potential power houses in the next few years.

You take Lynch away from NIU and they were a 7-5, 6-6 team at best.

Surprising really, I always thought if one of the major conferences was going to explode it would be the Big 12. But I will believe it when I see it, hard to tell if this story is legit.

I hope we're in a good spot because when all the teams in the conferences are divided up and at 16 teams or whatever the magic number is, the only way to increase revenues will be to trade low revenue teams for high revenue teams. Before you say it can't happen, who would have pictured conference realignment like we're seeing 10 years ago?

I hope we're in a good spot because when all the teams in the conferences are divided up and at 16 teams or whatever the magic number is, the only way to increase revenues will be to trade low revenue teams for high revenue teams. Before you say it can't happen, who would have pictured conference realignment like we're seeing 10 years ago?
Just STFU. Seriously. You're obviously an Iowa State fan.

ACC has lost a lot of their football power. Big 12 will always be good with the Texas Schools and actually made the most per team of any conference this past year. The doom of the Big 12 is over for the most part at this point in time. Big East and ACC are on the outs now. It would be amazing to see the ACC fall, lots of history there.

ACC has lost a lot of their football power. Big 12 will always be good with the Texas Schools and actually made the most per team of any conference this past year. The doom of the Big 12 is over for the most part at this point in time. Big East and ACC are on the outs now. It would be amazing to see the ACC fall, lots of history there.

More disappointing really, the ACC is/was one of the better conferences athletically and academically.

I still do not see the Big 12 as a stable conference, they are more of a landing spot for schools that cannot get into the SEC or B1G. All it takes is for Texas to get greedy and realize they can make more money elsewhere and the conference would crumble. What is keeping the Big 12 together is the fact that Texas likes to be in charge and make their own rules, they give up that power by joining the Pac12 or B1G.

You think this is going to sop at 16 teams?

"Money doesn't talk, it swears." - Bob Dylan

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big 10 go to 24 teams, and have the Great Lakes conference and the Atlantic Coast Conference. It will be just like the NFL, with a multi round playoff.

I suspect that as a conference that is still an academic conference that Delaney is not amused by the lack of academics going on in SEC Athletics. Which is why I think you are going to see winning a B1G Championship become harder and more significant. Also - I think that as the tea leaves fall, Notre Dame will be forced to join.

I also think you are going to see the non conference games go down to 1 game for protected rivalries such as Iowa State.

I'm not suggesting this will go down in the next year, but to me it's clear this is where we're headed.

Certainly possible. If the chips fall like they might as referenced in this article, it breaks down nicely into divisions for the Big 12, with the exception of the teams that need to play those east schools. I hope ISU doesn't get the Missouri treatment and get stuck in the same division/pod/whatever with some of those east/southeast schools.

Just STFU. Seriously. You're obviously an Iowa State fan.

Ma'am, I forgive you. Only a lady on her period would give such an irrational, emotional response. ISU(no, I'm not a fan) would be in worse shape under this scenario. Wait a couple days and reread it when you're hormones aren't so unbalanced.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big 10 go to 24 teams, and have the Great Lakes conference and the Atlantic Coast Conference. It will be just like the NFL, with a multi round playoff.

I suspect that as a conference that is still an academic conference that Delaney is not amused by the lack of academics going on in SEC Athletics. Which is why I think you are going to see winning a B1G Championship become harder and more significant. Also - I think that as the tea leaves fall, Notre Dame will be forced to join.

I also think you are going to see the non conference games go down to 1 game for protected rivalries such as Iowa State.

I'm not suggesting this will go down in the next year, but to me it's clear this is where we're headed.

Interesting post and I would not be surprised if Delany has a vision similar to this. I think he would try to pull something like this off if he had a dance partner in the Pac12. That would make the annual Rose Bowl the national championship game or at least a semi final game every year. This would lock out the mid majors have the Big 12 and the SEC could meet in the Sugar/Fiesta Bowl and the winners play each other.

Interesting post and I would not be surprised if Delany has a vision similar to this. I think he would try to pull something like this off if he had a dance partner in the Pac12. That would make the annual Rose Bowl the national championship game or at least a semi final game every year. This would lock out the mid majors have the Big 12 and the SEC could meet in the Sugar/Fiesta Bowl and the winners play each other.
I was thinking along the same lines. I don't know if it will be 24 teams per, but I don't see how the "Big 4" conferences can be limited to 16 teams, not the way things are going now. I would have to say that at least 80 teams will be included when its all said and done. With UNC and Kansas being considered for expansion, its clear that even though football is calling all the shots, basketball is also a consideration. And I don't know if a conference would kick out along time conference brother like ISU or Minnesota and leave them twisting in the wind.

Speculation that UVA would be our #15 has been around for a long time. This articles mirrors many of my comments and those of others here. But I don't think it will happen as quickly as this article suggests. That said, eventually I think we get UVA and UNC, the SEC picks up VaTech and NC State, and the Big XII grabs FSU, Miami, Clemson, GT, Pitt ... UNLESS the NC schools decide to stick together, then we get GT (I still think Jim calls Swarbrick one last time and warns him of carnage he is about to create before we bring GT in)

Latest posts