Aaron White's Pro Potential?

iowalaw

Banned
Now that the season is on the books, I have heard virtually nothing about the U of Iowa's 2nd all time leading scorer/3rd all time leading rebounder's pro prospects. Does anyone thing this first team all big ten selection has a shot? Bruner and Halaska were first team all conference and got a shot. Marble was first team all big ten and got a shot. White is tall, athletic, and has developed a nice 3 point shot. Can he catch on with a team? Will he be playing in Europe?

The way he started stroking the 3 ball towards the end of the season this year made me think he could potentially catch on as a sub, but I'm not really sure. He'll definitely get a look...unsure if he'll get drafted or not.

I'm not sure if its a fair comparison, but Robbie Hummel is similar in size and is still in the league playing limited minutes but contributing when healthy. I think he broke his hand though. Hummel was a late second round pick similar to what I assume White would be if he gets taken. That's all I'd really see Aaron White doing...change of pace off the bench.

Absolute best case scenario is he really develops the 3 ball and churns out a Mike Miller type career. They're both similar in size, but Miller was obviously the far better player coming out of college. I do not see this happening but I will certainly be rooting for it.

Sorry for comparing a white player to other white players but that's just how my head works...Plus his name is white so pun intended

Drafted in 2nd round but can't stick and will either go over seas or play in the d league.

Just my prediction.

If he had a jumper then 10-year pro. Most likely Euro player

He's already got the Euro-step move to the bucket down. He'll get a shot at the NBA, and as Lloyd Christmas so eloquently said, "So you're telling me there's a chance"

The important thing is that he gets a chance. You never now how they're going to perform once they get to the NBA and exposed to a whole different level of play. Hopefully he'll get that chance and be able to step his game up and have a long pro career.

I don't think he's a good enough shooter to make it in the NBA, but ya never. I don't watch much NBA anymore.

But like ssckelley said above, his game is tailer-made for European style. Time will tell.

I don't think he's a good enough shooter to make it in the NBA, but ya never. I don't watch much NBA anymore.

But like ssckelley said above, his game is tailer-made for European style. Time will tell.

If you can make time for it in your life, you should really give it another chance. The quality of play is through the roof right now. Tremendous ball movement, great skill level at all positions, and a bucket load of top-tier talent.

I have also been wondering about his pro-potential. You need to be able to do at least one of the following at an elite level to make it the NBA: shoot 3's, score at the basket (from the post or drive), or defend at the basket. There are a couple of people hanging around only because of elite perimeter defensive skills (e.g., Tony Allen), but they are rare exceptions. White is not big enough to defend the rim in the NBA. I don't think he has the combination of bulk/power to excel in the post, and as athletic as he is, he certainly is not athletic enough to thrive on the wing in the NBA. That means it pretty much all comes down to his ability to develop an NBA three-point shot. There is a strong market for power forwards who can shoot 3's; if he can become proficient at that skill (>35%), his all-around strength in other areas (defense, transition, cutting) should allow him to hang on and contribute somewhere.

All comes down to him hitting jumpers. He's got the size and athleticism to play, he's got a great free throw stroke and the last month or so he showed a nice outside shot. If he can become a consistent 3-point shooter, huge if there, he's got a shot.

I think White will play in the NBA. When you're a 2nd round pick you're expected to compete for a role player and for the most part shooting is not what they're asking you to do. He might stick around for defense, energy, ability to fill the lane for running teams and a willingness to do whatever the team needs him to do. He'll probably be like the 10th man and get 8 minutes a game. Play for two or three different teams for 6-8 years.

If he sticks on a NBA roster it will be similar to Ryan Bowen a hustle/energy guy comes in to spell guys or those in foul trouble.

If he lands with the right team he might have to sacrifice his game to do grunt work like Nick Colison.

Will be interesting if he wants to play overseas given he is about to start a family.

2 months ago, I wouldve said not a chance in hell. The last month that jump shot and 3 ball became consistent and he turned into a force and and a first team all Big Ten kid in about 3 weeks. Hes got a shot.

I would have said not much of one at the start of the season. But he's athletic enough and look at how much bigger and stronger he's gotten. Even just from the last year he's noticeably bigger in the shoulders and arms. If you watch an NBA game there are plenty of guys that have carved out nitches and they can't shoot worth a lick. So a 6'9 230ish athletic players like him with the reseme he has will get a shot for sure. Will he stick and for how long is anyones guess. But he'll certainly get a shot.

2 months ago, I wouldve said not a chance in hell. The last month that jump shot and 3 ball became consistent and he turned into a force and and a first team all Big Ten kid in about 3 weeks. Hes got a shot.

White was 12/22 from 3 to end the year. Not a huge sample size obviously but also not just one hot game. I wish he would have been looking for his shot earlier in the year.