Aaron White

He had a mid-range game that has completely disappeared, he could step out and hit a 15-17 footer with enough consistency to keep defenders honest......That is gone now. Not sure how switching from a 3 to a 4 changes that; he still has to get the ball facing up with dudes........He is still not going to be playing with his back to the basket and getting the ball on the block. He really needs to study McDermott and how he developed that little 10-12 ft. fade away. That spin move that he has which isn't pretty, but it creates enough space to get his shot off that is what White needs to concentrate on.

Last edited:
I totally agree about that 15-17 ft shot, totally gone away from it....he wants to drive and slash, but he seems to get going too late at times, and depending on who's in and who's defending him, I would like to see more post ups, I think he's creative because he does tend to finish pretty strong when around the rim....that's just part of being a scorer, I just wish he did that the whole game...jmo....but here again, Fran subs too often and guys never get a good sweat going....dumb

He had a mid-range game that has completely disappeared, he could step out and hit a 15-17 footer with enough consistency to keep defenders honest......That is gone now. Not sure how switching from a 3 to a 4 changes that; he still has to get the ball facing up with dudes........He is still not going to be playing with his back to the basket and getting the ball on the block. He really needs to study McDermott and how he developed that little 10-12 ft. fade away. That spin move that he has which isn't pretty, but it creates enough space to get his shot off that is what White needs to concentrate on.

Agree, I don't get why people think he will dominate at the four. Defenders will still play off him until he shows he can hit a jump shot. He also disappears when someone plays physical with him and there are a lot more physical fours out there than threes.

I'd be curious to see the numbers for the percentage of his points that come from the free throw line. He shoots the free ones at a high percentage and early in the season he got to the line often.

As of late it seems like he hasn't and I think it's because teams have emphasized getting back on D and limited sending offensive players to the glass an forced Iowa to execute in the half court set. Once they do that, they dare White to beat us with his jumper and avoid fouling him on the drive.

I like White and he has some great parts to his game like running the floor and his explosion. He gets to the rim from the floor so quickly. Unfortunately these skills aren't very useful in the half court and teams have him figured out.

Aaron's mid range jumper is gone because he gets the ball at the 3pt line. His defender sags so he can't blow by him and closes out before he can get the chance to shoot the mid range jumper. If he plays the 4 he would see more opportunities at mid range ie like Basabe's had a lot this year. Not to mention he would have a slower defender on him allowing him to use his quick 1st step more often. That said, I was disappointed with Aaron not taking advantage of his smaller defender against Northwestern. He had the ball in the post on the baseline twice and passed it back out both times. He has to be more aggressive in that situation and take advantage of that mismatch. That is something he's done seldom all year long and it's been there all season.

As for his 3pt shooting, he doesn't have the greatest career percentages but he's hit them lately and needs to continue to shoot it when he's wide open. Nobody is saying he should chuck them up when defenders are there just when they sag and leave him open. Hitting a few would cause the defender to guard him closer and give him more opportunities to use his quick first step.

Next year White is going to play the 4...there is no doubt in my mind....he will dominate and most on here will be questioning why he didn't play the 4 this year. Book it.

Agree with this, but I thought he would dominate this year after dropping 25 and getting 17 boards in Ames. Granted other teams have bigger and better bigs compared to ISU but AW could have been better.

This is so stupid. He a 25% career shooter from three, it's better that he doesn't start chucking.

I agree, I'd rather have the rest of the team (6-24 25% vs NW) chuck it up there....

My god, at least white can rebound, score in transition, score at high FG%, draw fouls and get to the line vs the rest of the perimeter chuckers that always seem to shoot it, with out bringing any other positive metrics to the table....

Here is how you fix Aaron White...sit Basabe and start Oglesby/Uthoff...preferably Uthoff.

I actually like this, and not just because of Aaron White. Especially for the NCAA tournament, we just don't have enough quickness.

In our last Final Four season, way back in 1979-'80, Lute Olsen had started a line-up that featured true big guys at both the 4 & 5 positions. Once in the tournament, he had one of them come off the bench in favor of adding a forward by the name of Vince Brookins.

Uthoff/Oglesby combined may not be Brookins, but they offer an offensive skill-set and some quickness, especially against the smaller teams, that we don't now have. That would also mean more minutes for Clemmons and Jok.

Add to the fact that big men seem to find a lot more foul trouble in the tournament, and we may need all the big men we have, even if the new line-up relegates a Zach McCabe to third-team replacement for a quick blow or lots of fouls (it does).

Regardless of what we've done during the year, we HAVE to put a line-up out there that will give us the best chance to win.

^

Better yet, split #4 between Basabe (22 min) and White (18min) and give white another (16 min) in the #3 spot, leaving plenty of mins for Uthoff (22 min) and Mccabre (2 ).

Regardless of what we've done during the year, we HAVE to put a line-up out there that will give us the best chance to win.

GVG44, if you were only the coach.....:)

Latest posts