Aaron White is pure class

Honestly, I was never enamored with White. I hated that he would always go for a steal and not play solid defense and that he would act like he was being murdered instead of actually trying to make a shot. White's first three years he couldn't create much on his own. I'm impressed and proud of what he's done this year and I will miss him.

Honestly at times I sorta felt that way too. Yet a player can't accidentally have the career numbers he has either. He still isn't the greatest at creating. But then I came to the realization so what? He does the one thing that we wish players with 3 times the talent he has would do and that's play hard and be a good teammate. There's a reason he wasn't highly recruited to start with. He wasn't very skilled. Very raw. But you gotta tip your cap to a kid that works as hard as he did for 4 years. He's gotten to enjoy the fruits of his labor the last couple weeks and senior day was the cherry on top. And I'm sure going to miss him as well. Not to mention the program. It'll be a much different team next yr. Much like this one was from last yr.

White wasn't a big time recruit but he's done things the right way and is now one of the best players in the country. Great career for him.

My top 5 favorites has to be Woolridge, Oliver, Brunner, Settles and White.

I'll go with John Johnson, (former Seattle SuperSonic)

Andre Woolridge

Reggie Evans

Jeff Horner and

Aaron White

With commendations or Honors to Ryan Bowen, Acie Earl, Freddy Brown, Kevin Kunnert, Bobby Hansen, Greg Stokes and
Ronnie Lester................wow, too many GreatHawkeyes..........B.J. Ed Horton, Steve Waite, Vince Brookins, Brunner, .............

Andre Woolridge

Reggie Evans

Jeff Horner and

Aaron White

With commendations or Honors to Ryan Bowen, Acie Earl, Freddy Brown, Kevin Kunnert, Bobby Hansen, Greg Stokes and
Ronnie Lester................wow, too many GreatHawkeyes..........B.J. Ed Horton, Steve Waite, Vince Brookins, Brunner, .............

Finally, someone over 30... :p

Although not a top 5 player, one of my top 5 favorite PLAYS was Kevin Boyle pausing on the wing, then suddenly driving baseline for a MONSTER dunk at the Fieldhouse. This was after he'd been hurt for awhile, struggled coming back and there'd been some chirping from fans and media how he'd lost his game. Message delivered, message received, the crowd went nuts.

My top 5 is:

1. Roy Marble.
2. BJ Armstrong.
3. AW.
4. Woolridge.
5. Street.
6. Sixth Man: Uthoff.
7. 2nd off the bench: Kevin Gamble.

Guards - Freddie Brown & Ronnie Lester

Forwards - Sam Williams & John Johnson

Center - Kevin Kunnert

6th man - Glenn Vidnovic

Let's pick winners. Except for Kunnert, everyone has a Big Ten Ring. Vidnovic has two.

You have to be nearing sixty to know winning Iowa basketball. I mean conference championships & Final Four appearances.

I don't completely agree with the notion that White can't/couldn't create his own shot. He's not a great ballhandler but he's shown a quick first step and an ability to blow by a post player on the perimeter.

There are some morons on the clone board that claim that White would be their 9th man at best. Delusional creeps think Ames is the center of the basketball universe and Fred invented the game.

Yeah, Iowa State has always taken winning with such grace. I would be embarrassed if it took that collection of thugs to be competitive. "Transfer U" for sure. Some of those dudes look like guys from one of those old Bill Musselman Minnesota teams of the 1970s.

Born in '77, so the 1986-87 team was the first season that I remember with much clarity.. For me, it all started with BJ, Roy & Ed.. Those three were the face of Iowa hoops for me and remain three of my favorites.

After that, some players I enjoyed watching most are:

Andre Woolridge
Jess Settles
Chris Kingsbury
Chris Street
Acie Earl
Reggie Evans
Greg Brunner
Aaron White (new addition)

Too bad I'm too young to remember Ronnie Lester.. It sounds like he was something else.

I'll eat crow now. White put together one hell of a senior season. I was one of those that wasn't sold on his ability to be the "go to guy" and felt he succeeded as a second option, albeit a great one. I'd commented in the offseason and early season that I wasn't convinced he could step up and be that go to guy that takes over a game or create his own opportunities. Always willing to admit when I'm wrong and glad I was wrong. Hell of a career and far exceeded any expectations I had for him.

Andre Woolridge

Reggie Evans

Jeff Horner and

Aaron White

Ronnie Lester was 2nd team All-American as a junior. He led the Hawks to the Final Four on one leg. Magic Johnson said he was the best player he played against in college.

After the '68 & '70 teams, the '80 team before Ronnie hurt his knee was the third best Hawk team I've ever seen. I was in Dayton that fateful night. Horner, REALLY!

I am a fan of "hustle" players. How can you not like Ryan Bowen? When he was a freshman, opposing teams would give him 5 feet of room and beg him to shoot! he had NO range beyond the free throw line.

He earned playing time with pure hustle. By the end of his career he had built himself into a passable shooter (at least they couldn't sag off on him) but he always got EVERY loose ball. Always. He helped us win a lot of games on pure hustle. 2nd chance points, offensive rebounds, loose balls on the court - didn't matter. That was his ball.

This current team could use a guy like that.

Still, Ronnie Lester was the MAN.

If I had to put a team together, starting with Lute Olsen's era:
1) Ronnie Lester (BJ Armstrong off of the bench)
2) Bobby Hanson (Roy Marble off of the bench)
3) Ryan Bowen (Kevin Gamble off of the bench)
4) Matt Bullard (Ed Horton off of the bench)
5) Greg Stokes (Acie Earl off of the bench)
Then, to fill out the other 4 scholarships, Lohaus at C; Dean Oliver at PG; Ricky Davis at SG/SF; Vince Brookins from Downtown.

Now if you had today's offenses (a la Hoiberg) You could have Lester at the 1 (incredible assist machine and could create his own shot at will), Hansen at the 2; Marble at the 3 (and 2nd option for creating his own shot); Bullard at the 4 and Lohaus at the 5. Space everyone around the 3 point arc and have Ronnie and/or Roy take people to the hole. Score and get fouled or dish for an easy 3-pointer.

Born in '77, so the 1986-87 team was the first season that I remember with much clarity.. For me, it all started with BJ, Roy & Ed.. Those three were the face of Iowa hoops for me and remain three of my favorites.

After that, some players I enjoyed watching most are:

Andre Woolridge
Jess Settles
Chris Kingsbury
Chris Street
Acie Earl
Reggie Evans
Greg Brunner
Aaron White (new addition)

Too bad I'm too young to remember Ronnie Lester.. It sounds like he was something else.

<<Too bad I'm too young to remember Ronnie Lester.. It sounds like he was something else.>>

And then some. When Magic Johnson says he was the best he ever faced, you can pretty much gather he was, indeed, something else.

What we saw early in the Louisville game was a Ronnie Lester that had ALREADY been injured that season.

Think Andre Woolridge skills with quickness resembling Percy Harvin. Seriously.

I am a fan of "hustle" players. How can you not like Ryan Bowen? When he was a freshman, opposing teams would give him 5 feet of room and beg him to shoot! he had NO range beyond the free throw line.

He earned playing time with pure hustle. By the end of his career he had built himself into a passable shooter (at least they couldn't sag off on him) but he always got EVERY loose ball. Always. He helped us win a lot of games on pure hustle. 2nd chance points, offensive rebounds, loose balls on the court - didn't matter. That was his ball.

This current team could use a guy like that.

Still, Ronnie Lester was the MAN.

If I had to put a team together, starting with Lute Olsen's era:
1) Ronnie Lester (BJ Armstrong off of the bench)
2) Bobby Hanson (Roy Marble off of the bench)
3) Ryan Bowen (Kevin Gamble off of the bench)
4) Matt Bullard (Ed Horton off of the bench)
5) Greg Stokes (Acie Earl off of the bench)
Then, to fill out the other 4 scholarships, Lohaus at C; Dean Oliver at PG; Ricky Davis at SG/SF; Vince Brookins from Downtown.

Now if you had today's offenses (a la Hoiberg) You could have Lester at the 1 (incredible assist machine and could create his own shot at will), Hansen at the 2; Marble at the 3 (and 2nd option for creating his own shot); Bullard at the 4 and Lohaus at the 5. Space everyone around the 3 point arc and have Ronnie and/or Roy take people to the hole. Score and get fouled or dish for an easy 3-pointer.

BJ was a fine player, but give me Woolridge. If he had the supporting cast of BJ...heaven.

Lead conference in scoring and assists. On a couple pretty average teams.

BJ was a fine player, but give me Woolridge. If he had the supporting cast of BJ...heaven.

Lead conference in scoring and assists. On a couple pretty average teams.

Andre W. was Big10 MVP his final season. Never mind that cheat Bobby Jackson stole it from him. Screw MN... Andre could control a game.

Guards - Freddie Brown & Ronnie Lester

Forwards - Sam Williams & John Johnson

Center - Kevin Kunnert

6th man - Glenn Vidnovic

Let's pick winners. Except for Kunnert, everyone has a Big Ten Ring. Vidnovic has two.

You have to be nearing sixty to know winning Iowa basketball. I mean conference championships & Final Four appearances.

Thank you for this Columbus. I feel for the "kids" who never witnessed these players.

Outstanding basketball talent indeed.

Ronnie Lester was 2nd team All-American as a junior. He led the Hawks to the Final Four on one leg. Magic Johnson said he was the best player he played against in college.

After the '68 & '70 teams, the '80 team before Ronnie hurt his knee was the third best Hawk team I've ever seen. I was in Dayton that fateful night. Horner, REALLY!

Ronnie was matching Darrell Griffith, aka Dr. Dunkenstein, point for point in that Final Four game until he reinjured his knee in the first half.

We had a legitimate shot at a National Title that year youngsters.

Horner?! Really?!!!! ☺

Ronnie was matching Darrell Griffith, aka Dr. Dunkenstein, point for point in that Final Four game until he reinjured his knee in the first half.

We had a legitimate shot at a National Title that year youngsters.

Horner?! Really?!!!! ☺

For the youngsters that never saw Lester play. After watching just think what he was like before the knee injury. He was just pure fun to watch!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1PLmiDhQ1Po