Aaron Greving

I understand what most of you are talking about in terms of sacrifice,burn out and everything, but for myself personally: the competition, the camaradie of your teammates, the adrenaline rush of game day would far outweigh the other stuff.

I have only participated in intramural sports and pick-up games, so my viewpoint may be skewed this way. In retrospect maybe I don't understand what athletes go through at the collegiate level.

I agree that those things would outweigh the other stuff, but when you suffer an injury, especially major, it is very different. I know in my situation, I went to college, went through camp and got close to some of my teamates, then got injured. After that the only person I got close to was the trainer. You don't get to go to the away games, you aren't involved in the daily grind of practice and stuff either. It pretty much isolates you from the team, which makes it much, much more difficult.

you can smell the field turf??

Grevings played on natural grass as did the Hawks from 1989 - 2008. The turf was just installed with last season being the first played on it.

So yes, I dreamed of smelling the grass of the field just like I actually did every Friday night in HS.

Last edited:
I've got a friend who plays college baseball, and he's said multiple times that it's nothing like high school. It stops being something that's "fun", and becomes much more of a job, given the kind of time and effort it takes to play the game at that level. I mean I busted my *** to improve at baseball in high school (I'd spend hours in the gym hitting off a tee and working on defensive footwork), but the guys who play in college get up at 5 am every day to seemingly run a marathon, then hit the weights, run some more, and THEN hit the diamond. For as much time and hard work as I put in, it was nothing compared to the college game. I envy the opportunity that these guys get on fall Saturdays, but I don't envy the other 6 days of the week that they gut out.

I played college baseball and you are correct - it is a full time job year 'round. I played for a year and a half and quit because it wasn't fun anymore and was burnt out. In Iowa the high schools play summer ball so I played ball for almost two years straight without a break. I have looked back plenty of times and wished I could do it over again because I wouldn't have quit. Coach always said if I kept at it that I had a chance to get drafted. I guess I'll never know, unfortunately. (I was a left handed pitcher)...I know, I know I'm a dummy. :D

I understand what most of you are talking about in terms of sacrifice,burn out and everything, but for myself personally: the competition, the camaradie of your teammates, the adrenaline rush of game day would far outweigh the other stuff.

I have only participated in intramural sports and pick-up games, so my viewpoint may be skewed this way. In retrospect maybe I don't understand what athletes go through at the collegiate level.

Intramural sports are only the fun side of it.

I started my college football career at a Div I school on shcolarship. I quickly realized several things: this is an all-consuming job, it was unlikely I would make it to the NFL, and it was no longer fun for me.
Therefore, after the football season ended, I had shoulder surgery due to injury, transferred to a Div III school, and gave up football to focus on studies and college life. To this day, I do not regret the decision....although, I still get that fire in the belly when the season is just starting and think, 'what if...'

Ironically, after having some time away from the game, I ended up playing football at the Div III school (along with several other Div I transfers) and enjoyed the experience, as football was not the main focus of our college life. I also was able to play rugby in the Spring, which was fantastic!

Sometimes, players/people need some time away to reorient themselves and reestablish their priorities.

One thing to remember with Wegher: he was thrust into BIG TIME situations right out of the gate without the adjustment period that many first year players get - that is a lot of pressure (compounded with injuries) to take when you are 18 and newly away from home.

I hope he is able to refocus his life on whatever he deems most important and choose what's best for his future, whether football is a part of it or not.

Just my two cents - I know Aaron, and he has been both a great friend and near enemy over the years. All of the nice things people have said about him in this thread are, all things considered, true. He was maybe the best athlete in Central Iowa sports history - strength, speed, ability, and all of it. At one time he was the best track athlete, best football player, and by far the best baseball player. And sure he had high expectations - but to consider him - a disappointment - is short sided. Its football and these things happen - and his injuries did happen. He was a good football player who turned into a great citizen. Hawk fans should be proud of the moments he gave them, and more importantly the trouble he stayed out of.

I played division 1 volleyball, and I thought it was a blast. I don't know what you guys were doing to hate playing sports in college, but you were doing it wrong. It is a grind, but it shouldn't be miserable. Try as I may, I can't think back ruefully on it. When I went to graduate school, being a "regular student" was worse than being an athlete.

I played division 1 volleyball, and I thought it was a blast. I don't know what you guys were doing to hate playing sports in college, but you were doing it wrong. It is a grind, but it shouldn't be miserable. Try as I may, I can't think back ruefully on it. When I went to graduate school, being a "regular student" was worse than being an athlete.

You're still around here? Considering the fact you are not even a female we're actually supposed to believe this?

Latest posts