A transfer that Hoiberg actually can't get and Iowa desperately needs.

Lol, when has there ever been any suggestion that Hoiberg is cheating to get these guys? He's not Calipari or Huggins. Hell, his guys actually get degrees (for whatever they're worth).
Go toot your Cyclone horn on Cyfan. Please post some facts in regards to the degrees your players are putting out.

Nice sig on Cyfan by the way. Truth.
“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan.
nah.gif
â€￾ -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

I used to think it was a big risk to take on Hoiberg's strategy, but it's clearly worked for him and he's phased more traditional recruiting into his plan once he got things off the ground. He wasn't wrong; it was legal, it was effective, and there hasn't been any trouble regarding the guys who transferred in since he took over. I would gladly take a do-over to see Fran employ similar tactics, if it meant getting to the Sweet 16 (or beyond) this year.
It has worked for Freddy, no doubt. Doesn't mean it would work at Iowa. I'm fine with how Fran has chosen to build his team

Do you think Hoiberg is getting these players because of his boyish charm? How in the world is he getting them to Ames? It is no mystery.

First off, when you start winning NCAA games it helps a whole hell of allot.

Second, who is he getting that is all that impressive? Deandre Kane came from Marshall, George Niang was down to Iowa or ISU. IIRC Monte Morris didn't even have offers from UM or MSU in his home state.

The only high profile guys he got were Royce White and the two MSU transfers, all three of whom were kicked out. The majority of other major programs didn't wan't these guys because usually those types don't work and or they don't wan't to waste a scholly on a guy with one year left who also has to sit out a year.

Now he has developed the reputation as the place to go for transfers because of the success they've had.

First off, when you start winning NCAA games it helps a whole hell of allot.

Second, who is he getting that is all that impressive? Deandre Kane came from Marshall, George Niang was down to Iowa or ISU. IIRC Monte Morris didn't even have offers from UM or MSU in his home state.

The only high profile guys he got were Royce White and the two MSU transfers, all three of whom were kicked out. The majority of other major programs didn't wan't these guys because usually those types don't work and or they don't wan't to waste a scholly on a guy with one year left who also has to sit out a year.

Now he has developed the reputation as the place to go for transfers because of the success they've had.

Well, he was right about one thing. It's definitely not a mystery.

Go toot your Cyclone horn on Cyfan. Please post some facts in regards to the degrees your players are putting out.

Nice sig on Cyfan by the way. Truth.
“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan.
nah.gif
” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

If being objective and not blindly hating Iowa State means I'm not an Iowa fan, I guess I'm good with that. It's not going to stop me from wanting to see Iowa have more success than ISU.

We would probably take any transfer than we think would help the team. Anthony Hubbard is an example of someone with a less than desirable past that Fran and Barta went to bat for. I'm sure it will happen again.

And sometimes, the four year guys backfire too (Pierre Pierce)...but not on Frans watch so far.

It has worked for Freddy, no doubt. Doesn't mean it would work at Iowa. I'm fine with how Fran has chosen to build his team

Give me one good reason why it couldn't. Both teams are from the state of Iowa, with the same recruiting grounds. It would work at ISU but not at Iowa?

Give me one good reason why it couldn't. Both teams are from the state of Iowa, with the same recruiting grounds. It would work at ISU but not at Iowa?

He didn't say it couldn't work at Iowa; he is saying it is a risk, and just because it hasn't blown up elsewhere, doesn't mean it wouldn't here. We aren't dealing with a large sample-size.

Except all of these guys keep their noses clean in Ames. Besides, the majority of the guys who have transferred in didn't come with baggage. If memory serves, only White, Allen and Lucious were kicked off their previous teams. Babb, Clyburn, McGee, Kane and Hogue are/were all either JUCO guys or players who transferred for the usual reasons (PT, closer to home, etc.). Argue that he took risks early on all you want, but none of the guys he has now have baggage, and neither does Lee.

Allen, Lucious, White and Kane were all kicked off of their old teams. (I think White was kicked out, maybe he just left after getting in trouble, I really don't remember). Babb, and Cyburn were normal transfers. I don't consider JUCO guys as transfers, they are a different story.

Allen, Lucious, White and Kane were all kicked off of their old teams. (I think White was kicked out, maybe he just left after getting in trouble, I really don't remember). Babb, and Cyburn were normal transfers. I don't consider JUCO guys as transfers, they are a different story.

Kane was a graduate, not kicked out. White was kicked out.

No, Kane was not kicked off of any team. He graduated from Marshall with a degree in business management and is now working on a master's degree in higher education at Iowa State.

Nothing is wrong with a second chance, but that chance should be earned. Fred is basically waving them into Ames immediately after being kicked off of their previous team. It's not so much as a second chance as it is straight win at all costs. If anyone but Hoiberg did this, you'd see it the same way.

And if the Hawkeyes did this, you'd see it a very different way.

Latest posts