A transfer that Hoiberg actually can't get and Iowa desperately needs.

TheIowaHawkGuy

@rivalskeenan #WVU has announce that sophomore guard Eron Harris will transfer. Averaged 17.2 points per game this season.

This is the kid that also got into it with ISU's Monte Morris. Not only can this guy score, he is also physical. BOTH needs for Iowa. Fran needs to get with it and go get him!

Sign me up for some of this.

But why can't Hoiberg get him? Because it's within the Big XII? I'm not sure how that works though, because Uthoff transferred to Iowa from Wisconsin.

Sign me up for some of this.

But why can't Hoiberg get him? Because it's within the Big XII? I'm not sure how that works though, because Uthoff transferred to Iowa from Wisconsin.

I think he might have been referring to whatever altercation/etc. that the kid got into with Morris. I don't remember it, but I'm imagining a situation like Fran bringing in Trice on a transfer to play with McCabe.

I say Hoiberg can't (likely) get him because of Big 12 inter-conference rule. I know Uthoff did at Iowa but Uthoff also was from Iowa to begin with and Fran never contacted him regarding interest. Uthoff made that decision and had to pay his own way plus lose a year of eligibility.

Unless Harris is a huge Iowa State fan, I don't see him going through the same process as Uthoff. Most likely ends up at Indiana actually. They lost 1/3 of their roster today with Vonleh draft and 3 transfers plus Harris is from Indy. He would literally replace all 4 with his production. That's why seasoned transfers are such a big deal and why Fran needs to get one.

so hes saying that because Morris had a littler scuffle with him that Hoiberg can't get him? Seems highly unlikely that would stop him

Wait...this would be a transfer. That is not the right way is it? (I would strongly consider him).

Actually, he is a real good Division 1 player with two years eligibility. A better bet than a JUCO in my opinion.

Unfortunately not, I guess.

"We don't do that at Iowa"? :confused:

I used to think it was a big risk to take on Hoiberg's strategy, but it's clearly worked for him and he's phased more traditional recruiting into his plan once he got things off the ground. He wasn't wrong; it was legal, it was effective, and there hasn't been any trouble regarding the guys who transferred in since he took over. I would gladly take a do-over to see Fran employ similar tactics, if it meant getting to the Sweet 16 (or beyond) this year.

Big difference between taking normal transfers vs. guys kicked off their previous team.

If they aren't getting in trouble after the transfer, I don't see the big deal. I thought this would blow up in Hoiberg's face a long time ago, but it hasn't.

I used to think it was a big risk to take on Hoiberg's strategy, but it's clearly worked for him and he's phased more traditional recruiting into his plan once he got things off the ground. He wasn't wrong; it was legal, it was effective, and there hasn't been any trouble regarding the guys who transferred in since he took over. I would gladly take a do-over to see Fran employ similar tactics, if it meant getting to the Sweet 16 (or beyond) this year.

I agree wholeheartedly. The only thing I would change in what you wrote above: "I would gladly take a do-over to see Fran employ similar tactics, ESPECIALLY if it meant getting to the Sweet 16 (or beyond) this year."

Not that I think we are that far away as it is, but I feel Hoiberg's strategy produced far quicker results. 3 NCAA tournaments already to our 1 (since play in games count). I'd take that, "right way" be damned. I don't have forever to wait around for a great Hawkeye team.. Human life expectancy is only 78 years or so.

People act like we're Duke or Kentucky and can be choosy in our recruits. I don't believe that's the case, not if we want to compete at a high level, anyway. I think Hoiberg knew this and acted accordingly to get some talent injected into the program. He wasn't going to go up against the blue bloods for sure thing recruits.. He had to roll the dice a little bit. The alternative is playing it safe, losing out on 4-5* recruits to better programs, and settling for the leftovers.

Last edited:
We're not transfer U. Fran visiting area high schools to see that they have to replace McCabe and Marble.
Yet your always p*ssing and moaning that Iowa doesn't have the talent to win. So if you're going to wait for high schoolers, grab and pinch yourself for a couple more years.

Latest posts