A thread NOT calling for KFs job

ssckelley

I am not going to open all those stupid meltdown threads. Hopefully this thread can be for rational discussion on what took place today.

Here is the performance of our Groza semi finalist:

M. Meyer missed a 24-yard field goal

M. Meyer missed a 43-yard field goal

He makes either of these field goals and it is an entirely different ball game.

I thought the play calling was good, the only question I have is not running the ball at least once when we had the ball with 2:36 left. There was plenty of time on the clock at that point. But I think the players are just as much to blame on this loss as the coaches. Vandenburg needs to learn how to win on the road he did not look composed on that last drive at all.

This loss hurts no doubt about it but calling for the coaches job after each loss is getting old. Be careful what you wish for.

Uh, we lost to Minnesota.....AGAIN! Sure, we can say our players didn't execute at times, and we can probably say our coaches failed to execute at times. These things happen, however North Dakota State and New Mexico State both got the job done at Minny, I'm sure they failed to execute at times as well but still prevailed over the Gophers.

As awful as today was, it would not surprise me to see us beat Michigan and Michigan State at home in the next two weeks, and then get beat at Purdue. That's just how we roll.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you thought the play calling was good then you are a f**cking idiot.

Iowa ran the ball down their throats into the red zone then decided to get cute again and start throwing it. Why?

lol is all I can say for that attempt to defend him.

You are forgetting about the onside kick which really was the game

Special teams and offensive red zone execution killed us. Our defense became tired in that 4th quarter. those 2 fg's and we win. Recover the onside, we win.

Uh, we lost to Minnesota.....AGAIN! Sure, we can say our players didn't execute at times, and we can probably say our coaches failed to execute at times. These things happen, however North Dakota State and New Mexico State both got the job done at Minny, I'm sure they failed to execute at times as well but still prevailed over the Gophers.

As awful as today was, it would not surprise me to see us beat Michigan and Michigan State at home in the next two weeks, and then get beat at Purdue. That's just how we roll.

ostrich

Ummm...be careful what you wish for? Did you wish for losses to crappy teams each year to remain mediocre? Announcers make jibes about how slow and boring this team is. Do you enjoy that?
You must be one of these people who believes that just about good enough is enough. Sorry. Don't accept that. Go make love to your Ferentz poster...I will be advocating for a complete house cleaning. Ferentz, et al are done!!!

I think the reason why people are calling for a shake up in the coaching staff is because we are tired of getting out coached. Even with the 2 missed FGs we were ahead by 2 scores with a little more 8 mins left in the game.

Weather you focus on being oblivious to the onside kick or not at least trying to run the ball for a play or two during our last possession or for not taking a shot at the end zone during our first two trips to the red zone, Iowa fans are tired of losing to inferior opponents that we should be hanging 40 or 50 points on.

And someone needs to answer for that. That is why he gets paid the big bucks.

Yeah we were bad, we're young and all...but Minnesota is very very very bad. There is really no way to spin this game.

I definitely don't want Ferentz fired. Nor do I want him to hang it up on his own accord. But I think it's time people stop thinking of him as being one of the top coaches in the country. He's not.

The players didn't execute, the playcalling in the second half was horrendous. Vandy locks onto McNutt way too much. I know the guy is a stud, but when he's blanketed, SOMEONE ELSE IS OPEN. We don't need to force it to him on every other pass attempt.

Our clock management still sucks. And why is it that Iowa is the only team in the country that never seems to know when an onside kick is coming? Seriously, Minny has NOTHING to lose, there's not a lot of time left. Just line up for it and take the field position disadvantage if they kick it deep.

all of the above +1. Poor, embarrassing lackluster preparation to get your team motivated and prepared. How many semi-everyday "trick" plays are you going to be unprepared for. We get out coached often.

I am not going to open all those stupid meltdown threads. Hopefully this thread can be for rational discussion on what took place today.

Here is the performance of our Groza semi finalist:

M. Meyer missed a 24-yard field goal

M. Meyer missed a 43-yard field goal

He makes either of these field goals and it is an entirely different ball game.

I thought the play calling was good, the only question I have is not running the ball at least once when we had the ball with 2:36 left. There was plenty of time on the clock at that point. But I think the players are just as much to blame on this loss as the coaches. Vandenburg needs to learn how to win on the road he did not look composed on that last drive at all.

This loss hurts no doubt about it but calling for the coaches job after each loss is getting old. Be careful what you wish for.

Special teams and offensive red zone execution killed us. Our defense became tired in that 4th quarter. those 2 fg's and we win. Recover the onside, we win.

I definitely don't want Ferentz fired. Nor do I want him to hang it up on his own accord. But I think it's time people stop thinking of him as being one of the top coaches in the country. He's not.

The players didn't execute, the playcalling in the second half was horrendous. Vandy locks onto McNutt way too much. I know the guy is a stud, but when he's blanketed, SOMEONE ELSE IS OPEN. We don't need to force it to him on every other pass attempt.

Our clock management still sucks. And why is it that Iowa is the only team in the country that never seems to know when an onside kick is coming? Seriously, Minny has NOTHING to lose, there's not a lot of time left. Just line up for it and take the field position disadvantage if they kick it deep.

These are correct

Minnesota was giving up 36 points a game.

Fr all everybody loves to make excuses for only scoring 3 against PSU, Iowa was scoring 34 a game.

Blaming 2 missed field goals - which would have only put us at 27 points - is a pathetic excuse for a pathetically coached game.

The play calling was terrible on Iowa's last offensive series.

Norm's scheme doesn't fit this defense and Iowa had 5 yard of total offense in the 4th quarter.

I'm sorry but the staff were a bunch of Fat Cats today.

Iowa State and Minnesota. 2 terrible losses and those were on the staff. No excuse for that.

wow, the daggers are out tonight. This thread is for rational discussion go do your ranting and melt down on the 10+ other threads that are rolling.

BTW, I am still a Hawk fan! I cannot wait for next Saturday, I hope they come out and destroy Michigan.

I am a die hard Hawkeye fan living in Lafayette, Louisiana. Iowa's image, and the Big Ten as a whole has looked awful the past two years. Ferentz gets paid 3.5 million per year and he has consistently been out coached the past two years to teams with far less talent.
We consistently look dead when we go on the road and against teams we should beat without issue. This philosophy comes from a coach who is too laid back and doesn't get enough fire into his team.
Kirk is great at teaching players and making something out of nothing when it comes to nfl players, but the coaching staff is too laid back. A good solution would be to bring in a guy like Mike Stoops who is high energy to coach the defense and to open Kirk's eyes to some new defensive philosophies, I'm not saying Kirk had to go, but if he doesn't change his philosophy, we will continue to lose to lesser talented teams. And until the Big Ten starts putting out quality championship teams, we will always be less superior to the SEC, and I hate that with a passion! LSU and Alabama don't lose to bad teams, sometimes its close but they always come out on top. Looking forward to your replies! Go hawks!

maybe we could try a different type of offense to mix things up. Or threaten to put in a different QB to light some fires of those that are not prepared to make audibles.
But someone needs to step up and make some hard decisions when this happens.

Latest posts