A revealing stat

longtimer

Iowa is dead last in the Big Ten with 48 tackles for loss. that from a team that prides itself on offensive line play Is our offensive line that bad? are our RBs that bad ? or is our offensive schemes that bad?

Kallenberger stepping away from football was a huge blow. Not throwing shade on the young man, he wanted to move on with his life and I 1000% get that. Strictly talking on the field Richman and Dejong are going through growing pains, other than going to more 12 personnel looks there isn't much more you can do to help those guys out. More Potterbaum? Don't have answers for that.

Positive note: OSU and Purdue are the only bad matchups. Everyone else you can play the chess match and win more times than not.

Kallenberger stepping away from football was a huge blow. Not throwing shade on the young man, he wanted to move on with his life and I 1000% get that. Strictly talking on the field Richman and Dejong are going through growing pains, other than going to more 12 personnel looks there isn't much more you can do to help those guys out. More Potterbaum? Don't have answers for that.

Positive note: OSU and Purdue are the only bad matchups. Everyone else you can play the chess match and win more times than not.
This. Answers are tough to come by, for sure. Kallenberger would have helped tremendously. Then we'd be covering up one side instead of trying to cover up two.

Last edited:
Iowa is dead last in the Big Ten with 48 tackles for loss. that from a team that prides itself on offensive line play Is our offensive line that bad? are our RBs that bad ? or is our offensive schemes that bad?
Goodson is a great back and can really catch the ball and hit the big home run plays. But way too many times when the blocking is not there he turns a 1 yard loss into a 4 yard loss. I know he is trying to make a play but his vision has to tell him he sees 4 other colored jerseys all around him so I think if he just ducked his pads and plowed forward to loose only 1 yard or maybe no gain it would be better. This offense has a very hard time recovering from 2nd and more than 10.

Kallenberger loss showing. Good point.
Schott & DeJong are great tough players, but started as walk-ons.
Ince just can't get healthy, he brought some experience & versatility.
And a All-American center.

Also new OLine coach. Wonder if KF is getting in and getting his hands dirty in there.

Just an odd combinaton/collection of circumstances.
Still believe they'll figure it out.

I think the verdict is officially in: O line is simply not good.

I realize that's counter to HN consensus, as the only disagreement here is who to tar and feather first - Petras or BF. But I'll name you two jobs that are really difficult with a poor OL: QB and OC. It's not that those guys are beyond criticism, it's just that I think it's very hard to assess either of them right now with what is going on (or not going on) with our line.

I had been holding out hope that we had turned the corner and it'd all come together, but it's Linderbaum plus a cast of supporting characters winging it. I've seen a handful of drives this year where we've gotten a really good surge in the run game and, indeed, I think the run blocking is ahead of the pass blocking right now...but the overall picture is not a good one.

If you look at the program history, you can bet the farm with a pretty high degree of confidence that at least one of these (non-Linderbaum) guys will be an NFL draft pick eventually, but that does us no good in 2021.

I do think we can still win the West, but that position group is going to need to show major development. It could happen, but the clock's ticking and the road is looking steep right now.

Do you think the line is 100+ ranked in college football? If you do these posts make sense. If you think the line is at least average or even slightly below average, it still points the blame on the prodigal son and his dad.

With the issues the offensive line was already having at tackle, I wonder how badly having Latchey and Ince out compounded the pass blocking issues. If you have both LaPorta and Latchey out there, you have more flexibility on who stays in for pass blocking while the other runs his passing route. Having Ince out at guard doesn't help either.

I'm hoping they will get Latchey and Ince back after the bye week and the others rested up.

Something to note, Minnesota used seven on the offensive line almost all of the Purdue & Nebraska games. They had an extra lineman and a TE in on most plays.

Yup way way too many of our possessions start off with a negative play. Being 2nd and 13 and 3rd and 8 are going to result in punts 75% of the time it seems like. We are generating little push with the zone running plays and Goodson can hardly get back to the LOS alot of the time on the predictable 1st and 10 plays.

We are at our best this season when we throw on early downs and can setup the run off that (easier said then done due to our pass protection) The couple games we've been noticeably good that's been the case anyway.

Yup way way too many of our possessions start off with a negative play. Being 2nd and 13 and 3rd and 8 are going to result in punts 75% of the time it seems like. We are generating little push with the zone running plays and Goodson can hardly get back to the LOS alot of the time on the predictable 1st and 10 plays.

We are at our best this season when we throw on early downs and can setup the run off that (easier said then done due to our pass protection) The couple games we've been noticeably good that's been the case anyway.
Wish they would use that Penn St sideline screen play they were using against us on first down.

* OL is young and that youth will hinder us in all likelihood the rest of the season

* Goodson should have at least 20 touches a game and Johnson & Tracy need more as well. There simply not getting it. Best players should be getting more touches

* The turnovers to date clouded the vision of many in judging this team. Last game brought that to light. Can't count on that t/o rate going forward.

* No, don't see changing the QB at this stage. The OL simply making it tough for him

* First quarter production needs major attention. The script for initial plays needs change...........thought I remember 34% completion rate in first qtr. among other things

* There are no easy games remaining on the schedule for this team

* Youth is also a factor on the DL...........no Epenesa this year.

That's my take in listening to Chuck Long assess some things after Sat. Not doom and gloom but certainly work to be done in this two week period.