A pattern of mental weakness

Bigtenchamp

Seems like I've seen this for awhile now...

First of all it starts with just dumb/lack of perception of simple things.

You could see that Trice was starting to get hot... yet our players seem to HAVE NO CLUE t

One example was he cuts on the baseline.. the guy has just mad 2-3 3's in a row... and no one stays with him and leaves him wide open.

It's just infuriating how dumb we play... then after we play dumb we collapse mentally start choking, missing free throws.

Wow hawkeyes just wow

North Florida coach was spot on. As soon as MSU took the lead in the second half, our guys folded, you could see it in all their body language.

I thought the pattern you were refering to was...

The team starts to miss shots, now it's been 2 strait years of noone on the team can shoot.

The team starts losing close games. This one has gotten a little better but it still looks like we freak out and try to lose.

The team starts bad in the second half. What started out as a small trend has turned into a foregone conclusion.

Either Fran is somehow doing something to destroy confidence or he is just incredibly unlucky to get a team full of this many head cases.

article-2303251-015C652B0000044D-241_634x307.jpg

Have the same problem as Tyson.......only without the bully part, championship part, and biting. But it is all good until someone starts punching back....then forget about it.

They shoot awesome on the playstation or something and they're going to the tournament and they beat OSU and and..

Why doesn't Fran start a few different guys in the 2nd half? We continue to collapse in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half, so mix it up a little. Izzo came out with a different lineup in the 2nd. Look what happened.

The good news is it is mental, should be fixable.

The bad news is that has been happening for quite some time now, everyone aware, and between coaches and players, they have not figured out a way to counter it.

Will they figure it out?

Do we need to hire a professional (psychiatrist/psychologist) to work with coaches and players?

The good news is it is mental, should be fixable.

The bad news is that has been happening for quite some time now, everyone aware, and between coaches and players, they have not figured out a way to counter it.

Will they figure it out?

Do we need to hire a professional (psychiatrist/psychologist) to work with coaches and players?
Hate to say it, but Izzo is a magnificent psychologist, with the officiating crew, but more importantly with his team. He is able to get in their heads when they are down and spark them to play like men, be more resistant to adversity. And it is consistent for the most part year in and year out. Fran's consistency is very good pre-game preparation, we usually have a great game plan and execution against good teams in the first half. When the opposing teams make adjustments, advsersity sets in, and the wheels fall off- consistently we fall apart in the second half. That, my friend, is inferior coaching.

On the flip side. What about Izzo. He must not only be a good coach. But he seems like a GREAT leader

On the flip side. What about Izzo. He must not only be a good coach. But he seems like a GREAT leader

No doubt he's an incredible coach and leader, but he didn't go 7/8 from 3. Iowa laid an egg in the second half, but MSU won't shoot like that again this year....until we play them in the B1G Tournament.

How a team can look like they did the first half and fold like like that is just the most schizo thing I can remember having seen. It wasn't a fluke that Iowa wasplaying as well as they did the first half. I guess you can kind of say Price's game was flukey and their 3 pt shooting percentage being what it was. But for crying out loud all but a couple of em were just wide wide open looks. That's the thing. I thought Clemmons was a lock down defender but he sure let Price get away from him alot... Iowa needs to get out of that damn zone so much.

How a team can look like they did the first half and fold like like that is just the most schizo thing I can remember having seen. It wasn't a fluke that Iowa wasplaying as well as they did the first half. I guess you can kind of say Price's game was flukey and their 3 pt shooting percentage being what it was. But for crying out loud all but a couple of em were just wide wide open looks. That's the thing. I thought Clemmons was a lock down defender but he sure let Price get away from him alot... Iowa needs to get out of that damn zone so much.

Better get used to a barrage of 3's against us the rest of the season. We got a taste of it from Iowa State and it is ugly. Iowa not only doesn't defend the 3, but can't hit the 3. It doesn't get much worse than that. It seems that most (many) teams build all or a big part of their offense around the 3-point shot. It's a big weapon, especially with less athletic teams. This team, on a regular basis, just quits playing defense, mainly in the second half. I can easily see this team 7-11 or maybe 8-10 in the B1G, especially if a tailspin similar to last year unfolds.

"Pattern of mental weakness"..... really? You make it sound like we are fully loaded with talent and should have been able to easily get wins against teams like Texas, Syracuse, Iowa State, UNI & now Michigan State. Face it we are a somewhat marginal team right now with a ceiling of perhaps 5th place in the Big Ten. There will be more games like last night before this season is over. It's who we are right now.....

Better get used to a barrage of 3's against us the rest of the season. We got a taste of it from Iowa State and it is ugly. Iowa not only doesn't defend the 3, but can't hit the 3. It doesn't get much worse than that. It seems that most (many) teams build all or a big part of their offense around the 3-point shot. It's a big weapon, especially with less athletic teams. This team, on a regular basis, just quits playing defense, mainly in the second half. I can easily see this team 7-11 or maybe 8-10 in the B1G, especially if a tailspin similar to last year unfolds.

That's what I was saying in another thread in response to the ever popular "live by the 3, die by three" line of thought. It's called modern college basketball and it's the reality for 95% of CBB teams (the other 5% being the Dukes, KU, UK, AZ's of the world) that have the talent year in and year out to do things another way. If anyone thinks that a middling BoneG team like Iowa can make it by not even trying to live by three they are sadly mistaken and will still die by the three one way or another.

That's what I was saying in another thread in response to the ever popular "live by the 3, die by three" line of thought. It's called modern college basketball and it's the reality for 95% of CBB teams (the other 5% being the Dukes, KU, UK, AZ's of the world) that have the talent year in and year out to do things another way. If anyone thinks that a middling BoneG team like Iowa can make it by not even trying to live by three they are sadly mistaken and will still die by the three one way or another.

I hate that saying. Like shooting 3's is some stupid trick and you deserve to lose if you try it. Do people think that the teams that "die by the 3" would never lose if they would just be smart enough to quit shooting them?

Teams like ISU are as good as they are mostly because they are good at shooting 3's. Then they finally lose because they have an off night and people blame it on shooting 3's without even acknowledging the fact that they wouldn't even be very good if they didn't shoot 3's.

"Pattern of mental weakness"..... really? You make it sound like we are fully loaded with talent and should have been able to easily get wins against teams like Texas, Syracuse, Iowa State, UNI & now Michigan State. Face it we are a somewhat marginal team right now with a ceiling of perhaps 5th place in the Big Ten. There will be more games like last night before this season is over. It's who we are right now.....

We are tied for 1st in the loss column. Wisconsin is almost certainly going to win the conference if they stay healthy...already lost 1 game because of injuries. There are 6 or 7 teams battling for 2nd through 8th IMO. So Iowa's ceiling technically is still 1st but realistically is probably 2nd...not 5th. We still have the deepest and collectively most talented front court in the conference IMO.

Latest posts