A look at the Kansas City Law Firm Investigating Iowa Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another in a series of good reporting, fact-based articles by Rob.

He notes this fact: "Husch Blackwell had 166 equity partners who were white and one who was black." I will editorialize on it for him. This is pretty rampant in huge firms. Last week, I posted a story about various organizations who will make various certifications about the diversity in a firm in exchange for money and give you a gold star or whatever, regardless of whether you actually achieve diversity. Here it is:

https://www.omelvenymyersethics.org...g-recruitment-rooney-rule-mansfield-rule.html

This stuff is just lip service and these certifications are borderline bunco. However, in defense of the firms, diversity is front and center in recruiting, which I have been heavily involved in, and it is extremely tough.

Though Rob has already classified me as a "piece of shit" based on who I am likely vote for in November, I ranted on here years ago about the horrible disparity of education, particularly in cities long before this latest shitstorm, because as an American, I find it appalling and unacceptable (see, e.g. https://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum...uve-heard-this-year.84412/page-6#post-1750689 and this thread where I tried to describe its impact on football https://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum...on-based-on-poverty-level.87257/#post-1851570). This Mansfield Rule the law firms have created is the same issue I had with the original Rooney Rule. There is just not much in the pipeline. If you look at the percentage of black males in law school, it is insanely low. Like super crazy low. So the pipeline issue has to be fixed (both in football coaching and law).

Second, law firms compete very heavily with companies for experienced lawyers. The companies have their own diversity initiatives and end up siphoning a lot of the most talented POC coming through the law firm pipeline. I don't know anything about that particular firm, but I would suspect they have had a fair number of partner candidates leave for corporate jobs that can offer equity comp packages, better hours and no business development requirements.

I'm not saying there should be perfectly statistical matching or anything, but 166:1 is simply an unacceptable ratio. Like other issues, there is a lot of complexity at play here, but to my eye, a lot of starts pretty early on in a lot of peoples' lives.

Thanks, Rob. I believe this process is an excellent move by the University. I am very much in favor of the report going directly to the President.

I know this law firm well. I have many friends who have worked there over the years. It is a large and reputable firm and the lawyers assigned sound more than qualified. As for the demographic statics, I dare say they are no worse than most Top 250 law firms in the country. Law has made some strides in diversity during my time, but the rainmakers and managers at most large firm remain quite white and quite male. Change is happening....very slowly.

I can't help but snicker at the irony that the University went out and hired a firm with the name "Husch" assoicated with it. With a 166:1 ratio it sounds like the University may be trying to quietly sweep this under the rug and move forward with as little noise as possible.

I can't help but snicker at the irony that the University went out and hired a firm with the name "Husch" assoicated with it. With a 166:1 ratio it sounds like the University may be trying to quietly sweep this under the rug and move forward with as little noise as possible.
People hire lawyers, not law firms, and the University seems to have a good team on the matter.

I know this law firm well. I have many friends who have worked there over the years. It is a large and reputable firm and the lawyers assigned sound more than qualified. As for the demographic statics, I dare say they are no worse than most Top 250 law firms in the country. Law has made some strides in diversity during my time, but the rainmakers and managers at most large firm remain quite white and quite male. Change is happening....very slowly.
Are you saying they will hire a deaf lawyer? to help balance things out?
Honey, whar's that phone, Imma gonna call that firm and ask for an applicati
giphy.gif
on!

I hope this is really an independent investigation. I have my doubts, too much money involved, too much cronyism involved, too much old boy politics involved to make me feel it will lead to anything.

Hopefully, KF is sincere in changing the culture.

I hope this is really an independent investigation. I have my doubts, too much money involved, too much cronyism involved, too much old boy politics involved to make me feel it will lead to anything.

Hopefully, KF is sincere in changing the culture.
No chance it’s unbiased as long as the U is choosing the firm and paying the bill at the same time. Should have been chosen by the BOR and reported to the BOR, not Harreld.

God. I am so glad to read this on Fry’s comment...”You are ignoring content by this member.”

No chance it’s unbiased as long as the U is choosing the firm and paying the bill at the same time. Should have been chosen by the BOR and reported to the BOR, not Harreld.

Agree, if U of I is paying the bill there will be some bias involved. That said from all the stuff going on around the country and the climate of not only football but the world I think KF is genuine when he said changes will be made. Will they be enough to quell any dissent or hard feelings we will see.

From the way it sounds the change to remove Doyle has already been a popular change and I would guess behind closed doors there are discussions regarding anymore behavior that may be considered "Racist" or "Bullying" the coaches are going to have a tight leash going forward, which they should.

As each day goes by though my hopes of actually having a season are slipping away especially with all the cases coming out of the Texas program and ISU athletics recently.

Agree, if U of I is paying the bill there will be some bias involved. That said from all the stuff going on around the country and the climate of not only football but the world I think KF is genuine when he said changes will be made. Will they be enough to quell any dissent or hard feelings we will see.

From the way it sounds the change to remove Doyle has already been a popular change and I would guess behind closed doors there are discussions regarding anymore behavior that may be considered "Racist" or "Bullying" the coaches are going to have a tight leash going forward, which they should.

As each day goes by though my hopes of actually having a season are slipping away especially with all the cases coming out of the Texas program and ISU athletics recently.

If he was sincere this would have been stopped long ago. Excuses.

Fry...I finally agree with you on something. This has the look of impropriety. You can't say you are having an independent investigation when you are hiring and paying the fees. It's not independent. It raises bias questions...and let's face it...with the SEC and ACC, the result of these types of investigations is known before it's initiated.

Take a look at the independent investigation the University of North Carolina tried to do on their grade scandal. It was later replaced by one commissioned by the governor of North Carolina because they were floating the no big deal result. No one trusted an organization that for 18 years had a shadow curriculum for athletes. The saddest part is that after the fake classes were discovered, the first year the athletes were required to take real classes, the football team had a cumulative grade point average of 2.11. The fact that it only cost them a one year post season ban and 15 schollies for one year...is mind numbing. They cheated...for almost two decades.

The real issue with the Iowa racism investigation is that Iowa has already lost regardless of the outcome...which I believe may result in one additional dismissal. Losing coaches hurts...but the effect on recruiting is already evident and should be. This is a serious blow and will no doubt hurt with certain recruits in the 2021 and 2022 cycles. I'm not saying we are in danger of losing to Nebraska....it's not that damaging :)...it just sucks as we had some momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts