A Little Late to the Party

ShadasRevenge

Had to get some homework done before I watched or commented on anything, so I've probably missed most of the discussion to this point.

Anyhow, I think the Big 10 got this right. From the beginning, I thought Penn State would be in the West and that Michigan and TUOS would be together. That being said, I can totally understand the rationale behind splitting them up. While I may not agree with keeping that game at the end of the year, until Michigan gets their **** together it really isn't going to matter.

Losing Wisconsin? Meh; while the two teams have always been a good barometer for each other, sometimes you have to make sacrifices in the name of progress. Not having them around on a yearly basis just makes winning that game this year that much more important.

Iowa v. Nebraska - once again, the Big 10 got it right. Putting this game at the end of the year makes a lot of sense, even though I wish the first game was in Iowa City. Depending on if Michigan ever gets back to where they're Michigan again, Iowa/Nebraska could end up being the rivalry that actually means something in regards to who plays in the CCG. Yeah, I said it.

The schedule: Not a big fan of the bye week before a conference game next year, hopefully that's the only time that happens.

Overall, not a whole lot of complaints, and the issues that I do have are very minor.

Good points all around.
I would say that i'm glad we have Big Red HERE the second year... mostly because i'd rather play them here when Vandy is a senior than when he's a junior first year starter.

Pretty much right with you on this. Not a whole lot to be dissapointed about if you're an Iowa fan.

I'll drop Wisconsin for Nebraska in a heartbeat.

Pretty much right with you on this. Not a whole lot to be dissapointed about if you're an Iowa fan.

I'll drop Wisconsin for Nebraska in a heartbeat.

Agree.

While I don't like Purdue being our "protected" game and splitting Michigan-Ohio State will permanently dilute "The Game"....having Nebraska to finish the season makes up for it. This is gonna be a great rivalry.

We still get two rivalry games in Minny and Nebby and we got the best gift of all in a "protected rival" game with Purdue that we should win 4 out of 5 years.

Agree.

While I don't like Purdue being our "protected" game and splitting Michigan-Ohio State will permanently dilute "The Game"....having Nebraska to finish the season makes up for it. This is gonna be a great rivalry.

Bingo. It's not hard to see Iowa/Nebraska becoming bigger than Michigan/OSU.

Think about it.

Has anyone checked out the other boards? Penn state fans seem sort of indifferent. Nebraska fans seem pretty happy. Wisconsin fans are mad but think things may get better when the ninth game is added. OSU fans are irate - I guess they are mad that their side is not easy enough. What a bunch of babies. Got news for you OSU fans - this is the big ten and you are not Texas.

The OSU premium board isn't irate by any means. Everyone is happy there. Not sure what you are looking at but I haven't seen any complaining....

If anyone got jammed in all of this, it was Wisconsin.

And, personally, that's just fine with me.

In full agreement that this alignment worked out well for Iowa. Actually, I think Delany, the Presidents, and the AD's knocked it outta the park. Collectively they did a great job in looking out for the entire league and keeping as many rivalry games as possible while still creating balanced divisions, both competitively and geographically. Not perfect for all, but pretty d@mn good considering the challenges they faced.

Keep in mind, Iowa-Nebraska is the last game in 2011 and 2012. Not guaranteed to be the last game going forward.

If I am shocked about one thing, I thought for sure minn would have gone over with Wisconsin...but no go. In the end, I agree we got the better slot than wisconsin, however I don't think they are in that bad of shape. Outside of PSU and OSU Wisconsin doesn't have to fear anyone else. They are in okay position to compete to get to the title game, because as I've seen others note, their history with tOSU is not as dismal as ours...especially recently. I think the reality of the situation is in the current state of the big ten, nobody really wants to be forced to beat OSU just to get to the title game...that is where we win...I am much happier facing them in the B10 Title game, where you can let the chips fall and anyone has a shot!

If I am shocked about one thing, I thought for sure minn would have gone over with Wisconsin...but no go. In the end, I agree we got the better slot than wisconsin, however I don't think they are in that bad of shape. Outside of PSU and OSU Wisconsin doesn't have to fear anyone else. They are in okay position to compete to get to the title game, because as I've seen others note, their history with tOSU is not as dismal as ours...especially recently. I think the reality of the situation is in the current state of the big ten, nobody really wants to be forced to beat OSU just to get to the title game...that is where we win...I am much happier facing them in the B10 Title game, where you can let the chips fall and anyone has a shot!

It's not just that, it's that they really didn't get anything they wanted. They had a nice little thing with NW, and that's gone. They wanted to play Nebraska at the end of the year, and they didn't get that either.
The most competitive rivalry in the conference - Iowa/Wisconsin is also going to be a once every few years thing.

Agree.

I don't see how The Game is permanently diluted. They would have matched up 3 times in the BTCG over the past 17 years. That's long enough odds to justify splitting them. My knee-jerk reaction was to keep them in the same division, just because it seemed wrong to split them. But then you look at the consequences of that for the conference as a whole, and it's better to split them.

Latest posts