A little concerned about Fran's ability to draw a play

battleofthebow

I wonder if that's why he never calls timeouts. I just don't understand it. How many end of half/game situations are blown (2 in this game alone) because he doesn't call a timeout and coach? I joked about it a month ago (half time play against Purdue) Mike with the ball in his hands and doesn't even get a shot off.

I love his loyalty and confidence in his players, but come on. I love these seniors and feel bad for how things are going for them. I really like Fran, too. I just wonder what the players think when their coaches don't put them in to position to win.

I usually defend Coach Fran -
However:

Neutral - Dayton up 4, 2:25 left, opponent makes 3ptr to cut game to 1, miss tying 3ptr w/ 4 seconds left
Neutral - N. Dame down 15, 12 min left, get w/in 3:57 left!, opponent makes 3ptr, never closer than 6
@ Ia St - everyone knows .... but up 6 w/ the ball 1:06 left
@ Maryland - down 6 at half, fight, lead, back down 5, down 2 and miss 1 & 1 w/ 1:46 left
@ Indiana - down 16 1st half, take 4pt lead w/ 6:20 left, 4 empty possessions & 4 missed fT's after
@ Penn St. down by 2 w/ 4:13 left, PSU scores pts on 11/13 final possessions
Home - Wis up 6, Baer misses transition 3ptr (would have been huge moment, 9:00 left though),
down 1, 2:43 left, Uthoff / Clemons miss 3tprs and FT's to either take lead or bring to 1 possession game
@ Ohio St. up 6, 6:26 left, we know the rest

Only 1 of these at home .... puts Iowa in company rest of Top 25

close/good finish wins:
Home Fla. St (OT) - trailed almost all 2nd half
Neutral (sort of) Drake
@ Purdue
Home v. Minn - had 2 clutch possessions down the stretch

Fla. St. looked OK at that time, best win of the year = @ Purdue

Iowa still hasn't been in a game where opportunity to win moment didn't exist.... not sure you can fins another team that boast that. Wonder how 'end of game' situations go in practice??

Fran is actually pretty good at drawing up plays... he just leaves it in the players hand at the end and it doesn't work.

The zone defense at the end was the problem... three 3's in a row and that's a lose.

I've just never understood it. He's done it from the day one.

The other thing he tends to like is having his PG with ball dribbling late and created his own shots with games on the line. Remember the 2 seasons with Marble. Marble would go from Shooting Guard to PG in close games with under 3 or 4 mins to play.

And while we're talking about Fran, how about not sitting players with fouls at the wrong time. I think Gesell should have stayed in the first half when he was hot. He was playing with passion, had 2 dunks and was confident. Did he end up fouling the rest of the game?

I've just never understood it. He's done it from the day one.

The other thing he tends to like is having his PG with ball dribbling late and created his own shots with games on the line. Remember the 2 seasons with Marble. Marble would go from Shooting Guard to PG in close games with under 3 or 4 mins to play.

Why do you think he prefers this?

Hint. Related to the title of the thread.

Nice write up. I know it's just my passion for the Hawks that makes me feel like it happens to us, and us only, and to us all the time. We have to be way at the top as far as teams losing close games (in the last 5-6 years). I also watch my fair share of Badger games because I'm from Wisconsin and my friends are all Badger fans...talk about clutch. I have watched them cheer through many buzzer beaters and clutch moments.

I usually defend Coach Fran -
However:

Neutral - Dayton up 4, 2:25 left, opponent makes 3ptr to cut game to 1, miss tying 3ptr w/ 4 seconds left
Neutral - N. Dame down 15, 12 min left, get w/in 3:57 left!, opponent makes 3ptr, never closer than 6
@ Ia St - everyone knows .... but up 6 w/ the ball 1:06 left
@ Maryland - down 6 at half, fight, lead, back down 5, down 2 and miss 1 & 1 w/ 1:46 left
@ Indiana - down 16 1st half, take 4pt lead w/ 6:20 left, 4 empty possessions & 4 missed fT's after
@ Penn St. down by 2 w/ 4:13 left, PSU scores pts on 11/13 final possessions
Home - Wis up 6, Baer misses transition 3ptr (would have been huge moment, 9:00 left though),
down 1, 2:43 left, Uthoff / Clemons miss 3tprs and FT's to either take lead or bring to 1 possession game
@ Ohio St. up 6, 6:26 left, we know the rest

Only 1 of these at home .... puts Iowa in company rest of Top 25

close/good finish wins:
Home Fla. St (OT) - trailed almost all 2nd half
Neutral (sort of) Drake
@ Purdue
Home v. Minn - had 2 clutch possessions down the stretch

Fla. St. looked OK at that time, best win of the year = @ Purdue

Iowa still hasn't been in a game where opportunity to win moment didn't exist.... not sure you can fins another team that boast that. Wonder how 'end of game' situations go in practice??

Latest posts