A Few Thoughts on Tonight's Game

How apropos for the late season collapse ...
Garza pumping set shots and Cook watching / shagging balls. At least he stayed within 3-6 feet of the basket - which is where he should ALWAYS BE, rather than setting those stupid screens at the top of the key!o_O

I get it if it was a designed pick/roll toward the basket but he always rolled OUT and was then stuck with the ball 20' away, trying to figure out how to make a drive. POST the Fv@& UP and dunk / get to the line! That's your skill set so do what you do best!:mad:

Then again, not like the guards did a whole lot to work it inside. When they did, it was often a bobble or fade away hook or flat out clunk.

Almost like, once JoBo got a taste of the outside heriocs (which he certainly had that 3-game stretch) they figured THAT's the way to win the whole game, completely forgetting the success that had come with a noticeably more INSIDE-out game throughout the season. Everything got sloppy and discombobulated - on both ends - from there.:confused::(:eek::mad:

Sounds like you had feelings of indigestion, heartburn and a bad headache.
Yeah, things haven’t been good lately.
I know. I know. Get over myself.

I’ll be cheering as loud tonight as any other game.

Something that just hit me today is I wonder if our guys are having any fun. Do you think Fran's intense personality wears on his teams over the course of the season and his team stops having fun?

Something that just hit me today is I wonder if our guys are having any fun. Do you think Fran's intense personality wears on his teams over the course of the season and his team stops having fun?

Naaa ... they love how he "has their back" with his fiery personality and volcanic temperament.

What wears on them is negative tweets from Hawk fans.

Quickness is our enemy. That's what concerns me the most about IL. I think our "in the paint" performance tonight dictates a W or an L.

I would assume it's laid back because they don't need an injury at this point. lets face it by this time of the season you should know what to do for the most part.

I can’t recall the last time Iowa came out hot with some energy. I’d like to see us not get down by more than a bucket in the 1st and maybe even get a lead.
Well we started 15-8 on Sunday at Nebraska.

Then Roby got hot.
And it didn't end well. But at least it started well.

I don't think an athlete can have fun getting the crap beat out of them consistently at the end of the year. At some point, you would think they would tire of it and work towards change, AD, coaches, and players.

Don't sit around waiting for that to happen.

How apropos for the late season collapse ...
Garza pumping set shots and Cook watching / shagging balls. At least he stayed within 3-6 feet of the basket - which is where he should ALWAYS BE, rather than setting those stupid screens at the top of the key!o_O

I get it if it was a designed pick/roll toward the basket but he always rolled OUT and was then stuck with the ball 20' away, trying to figure out how to make a drive. POST the Fv@& UP and dunk / get to the line! That's your skill set so do what you do best!:mad:

Then again, not like the guards did a whole lot to work it inside. When they did, it was often a bobble or fade away hook or flat out clunk.

Almost like, once JoBo got a taste of the outside heriocs (which he certainly had that 3-game stretch) they figured THAT's the way to win the whole game, completely forgetting the success that had come with a noticeably more INSIDE-out game throughout the season. Everything got sloppy and discombobulated - on both ends - from there.:confused::(:eek::mad:
Hope they worked on boxing out, pick and roll fundamentals.

Quickness is our enemy. That's what concerns me the most about IL. I think our "in the paint" performance tonight dictates a W or an L.
Tough to beat a fundamentally sound, mentally tough, team when your own team is young. I am sure Illinois is very excited about the game.

Didn't get to write a normal preview. Wasn't sore of the opponent until late last night and getting ready to leave for Chicago this morning.

Some thoughts:

-Iowa is favored by 3.5 points. It has not covered its last eight games.

-Watching Illinois run its weave offense last night, creating switches and mismatches, the Hawkeyes would be best served to play zone tonight. The thought of them chases Frazier and company in man is a death sentence. Plus, the Illini doesn't shoot it that well from the outside (provided Iowa closes out on threes).

-Take it to Giorgi. Iowa had fouls to give inside and he's Illinois' lone effective big man. He's also emotional, so few quick fouls could get him off his game.

-Take away Ayo's drive, which should be easier to do in the zone. His outside shot is shaky.

-Let Moss play.

-Pick your spots with press. If Illinois gets comfortable against it, it has the personnel to carve it up.

LazyThatAmethystgemclam-max-1mb.gif

Fire Fran, hire Rob

Latest posts