A Few Thoughts on Tonight's Game

RobHowe

Administrator
Didn't get to write a normal preview. Wasn't sore of the opponent until late last night and getting ready to leave for Chicago this morning.

Some thoughts:

-Iowa is favored by 3.5 points. It has not covered its last eight games.

-Watching Illinois run its weave offense last night, creating switches and mismatches, the Hawkeyes would be best served to play zone tonight. The thought of them chases Frazier and company in man is a death sentence. Plus, the Illini doesn't shoot it that well from the outside (provided Iowa closes out on threes).

-Take it to Giorgi. Iowa had fouls to give inside and he's Illinois' lone effective big man. He's also emotional, so few quick fouls could get him off his game.

-Take away Ayo's drive, which should be easier to do in the zone. His outside shot is shaky.

-Let Moss play.

-Pick your spots with press. If Illinois gets comfortable against it, it has the personnel to carve it up.

LazyThatAmethystgemclam-max-1mb.gif

Well, it is another great opportunity for redemption, when the lights are shining (though dimly).

Time for Fran to demonstrate his coaching ability and leadership skills.

With the players off of twitter perhaps they will have more time to practice their defensive fundamentals and get a bit tougher emotionally. Playing as wounded victims hasn't served them well.

Who will win, who might be kicked out, who might be suspended? Those are the Big Three questions for Hawkeye basketball this season.

Didn't get to write a normal preview. Wasn't sore of the opponent until late last night and getting ready to leave for Chicago this morning.

Some thoughts:

-Watching Illinois run its weave offense last night, creating switches and mismatches, the Hawkeyes would be best served to play zone tonight. The thought of them chases Frazier and company in man is a death sentence. Plus, the Illini doesn't shoot it that well from the outside (provided Iowa closes out on threes).

-Take it to Giorgi. Iowa had fouls to give inside and he's Illinois' lone effective big man. He's also emotional, so few quick fouls could get him off his game.

-Take away Ayo's drive, which should be easier to do in the zone. His outside shot is shaky.

-Let Moss play.

-Pick your spots with press. If Illinois gets comfortable against it, it has the personnel to carve it up.

Yeah more zone less man to man has always been something we should do. I think their prone to TOs as well when we press. If we continue to give up offensive rebounds (and if we are in zone a lot that's going to continue happening) then we need to make up for some of those extra possessions somehow and winning the turnover margin would be the best way.

if iowa plays like they did in NYC, they make the final. if they don't, meh, they could get beat by 20 by Ill. which team shows up? talk is cheap. don't tell me you're playing to reverse the way the season ended. show me.

All I have to say is Cook needs to be a beast on D, and on the boards.....if we have to play catch up, it could be a bad night. We're capable, of course, but the kids will have BTT flasbacks

I can’t recall the last time Iowa came out hot with some energy. I’d like to see us not get down by more than a bucket in the 1st and maybe even get a lead.

Pound the post and play inside/out. It worked early in the year. Garza and Cook need to get some baskets early. Teams start sucking in and the open 3's start happening. Get their big in foul trouble.

The zone is needed. We can't keep up with their guards at all in terms of foot speed.

None of us should need to mention defense, but we NEED DEFENSE EFFORT THE FULL GAME!

Really hoping for a W tonight. I haven't jumped ship, but I'm hanging onto the edge of the boat with my fingertips.

Feliz is playing more now than when Illinois visited Carver in January. He's a tough matchup for Iowa.

Again, mix up zones against Illini.

It is a certainty we come out in man,

and then i just get the feeling like we

Fall behind by 10

switch to zone but Illinois is confident so they go up by 18

With 3:36 left in the 1st half Fran uses a timeout to press zone. Iowa knocks it down to 12 by half after a last second three by Illinois.

It is a certainty we come out in man,

and then i just get the feeling like we

Fall behind by 10

switch to zone but Illinois is confident so they go up by 18

With 3:36 left in the 1st half Fran uses a timeout to press zone. Iowa knocks it down to 12 by half after a last second three by Illinois.
Sounds like you had feelings of indigestion, heartburn and a bad headache.

Some thoughts:

-Let Moss play.

Is this footage of our assistants a few games back?

Some thoughts:

-Let Moss play.

Great analysis Rob, I concur. Go after their B1G guy and get him in foul trouble. They will be lost without him.

Of course we can expect some player who has averaged four point a game all season to go off for twenty-one points tonight for Illinois. Why? Just because.

That Dennis Hopper expression looked like the expression on our assistant coaches' faces when they had to fill in those two games.

Hopper??? I was thinking Larry and Curley with Moe in the hallway bitch slapping the officials and throwing out eff bombs.

Oh, a wise guy eh. :p

Well, it is another great opportunity for redemption, when the lights are shining (though dimly).

Time for Fran to demonstrate his coaching ability and leadership skills.

With the players off of twitter perhaps they will have more time to practice their defensive fundamentals and get a bit tougher emotionally. Playing as wounded victims hasn't served them well.

Who will win, who might be kicked out, who might be suspended? Those are the Big Three questions for Hawkeye basketball this season.

Glad to see them off of Twitter. Now tonight if they can just get off the shitter. :rolleyes:

I'd abandon the press and play zone. Teams are starting to attack the basket after breaking the press. Which is what every team should have been doing all season. I'm surprised more teams haven't seen the holes in it until late in the season. Get back on D quickly and sit in that zone. I'm not sure Illinois can shoot over it.

Latest posts