a few observations on the last play

Bohawk

Watched it again last night...and then watched it again...and maybe one more time after that.

A few things that stuck out:

- Player of the Game was given to MSU WR Blair White before the last play. That should have told us right there that we were going to win. I wonder why they would announce this moments before the biggest play of the game.

- DJK in the huddle during the TO. He looked disappointed like he wasn't real supportive of the play call. I'm not saying that's the case, but the look on his face seemed a little distraught.

- What a call by KOK, and could the MSU defense have played into his hands anymore than they did? They show blitz and then Moeaki takes the guy in motion that is the only thing standing between the slant and McNutt. If they drop back from the blitz, I'm not sure what happens, but it's certainly not gonna be that easy. As Stanzi watches the defender follow our motion guy, he has to be thinking, "I can't flippin believe this!"

What a moment in Hawkeye history. Thanks KF and team!

It was a great play call, and equally great execution! I thought the whole team executed very well that whole drive. The OL blocked well, the receivers found soft spots in the zone and caught the ball, the RB picked up the blitzes, and Stanzi threw the ball where it had to be! Kudos to the WHOLE TEAM, and a sign all the way around of a well coached team!

- What a call by KOK, and could the MSU defense have played into his hands anymore than they did? They show blitz and then Moeaki takes the guy in motion that is the only thing standing between the slant and McNutt. If they drop back from the blitz, I'm not sure what happens, but it's certainly not gonna be that easy. As Stanzi watches the defender follow our motion guy, he has to be thinking, "I can't flippin believe this!"

This just hit me...but I think we may have scored a TD vs. Iowa State on the same play, except in that game instead of looking backside, Stanzi hit Reisner on the flat route and the 2 ISU DB's ran into each other, didn't they? I might have to check the tape, but I think it was almost the same formation, same play.

Not to complain as we did scored and win on the play but Stross was wide open stanting in from the right side.

Was Blair White the player of the game or was that Hook and Latter the Play of the Game? As the play of the game makes sense cause there wasn't anything like that up to that point.

I watched again and looked like Stross got the inside cut and was open too.

This just hit me...but I think we may have scored a TD vs. Iowa State on the same play, except in that game instead of looking backside, Stanzi hit Reisner on the flat route and the 2 ISU DB's ran into each other, didn't they? I might have to check the tape, but I think it was almost the same formation, same play.

Ok, so the playside call was the same, but instead of having a WR by himself to the weak side, we kept a TE in tight to help block the edge.

See the below video of the Iowa State play at 0:42...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVWV6aMkH6o&feature=related"]YouTube - Highlights: Iowa - Iowa St.[/ame]

Was Blair White the player of the game or was that Hook and Latter the Play of the Game? As the play of the game makes sense cause there wasn't anything like that up to that point.

I watched again and looked like Stross got the inside cut and was open too.

Blair White was named the player of the game. He was announced with 3 catches for 70/80-something(?) yards and 1 TD.

I think a 3rd option could have been a QB draw, Stross was open, McNutt was open and the middle of the field was wide open. McNutt was very vocal about the play being called, I kept on yelling to put DJK in the slot instead of Stross but it all worked out.

- DJK in the huddle during the TO. He looked disappointed like he wasn't real supportive of the play call. I'm not saying that's the case, but the look on his face seemed a little distraught.

If you watch DJK and read his lips......he was one of the first to get to the huddle on the sidelines, was tapped on the butt by KF, and then said to his teammates, "One more F-ing play!"

He didn't look like he was dis-sapointed, he looked like a leader firing up the troops for one last battle in the war!

If you watch DJK and read his lips......he was one of the first to get to the huddle on the sidelines, was tapped on the butt by KF, and then said to his teammates, "One more F-ing play!"

He didn't look like he was dis-sapointed, he looked like a leader firing up the troops for one last battle in the war!

I like your take better. Plus I saw on Iowa Football w/ Kirk Ferentz when McNutt came in the locker room and hugged Ricky, DJK was right there hugging people too and messing with Moeaki.

I like your take better. Plus I saw on Iowa Football w/ Kirk Ferentz when McNutt came in the locker room and hugged Ricky, DJK was right there hugging people too and messing with Moeaki.

DJK was just firing up the troops...no time for smiles..just game facing it.
That was a nice clip of Marvin and Ricky hugging in the locker room...as qbs they probably spent a lot of time together in marvins first two years...before he flipped to WR. Could not be happier for both guys.

Ken O'Keefe can be frustrating with his predictability in play calling in general, but I will definitely admit that he has made several brilliant calls throughout his time at Iowa. Top three for me are:

1) 2009 Stanzi to McNutt slant pass versus MSU
2) 2002 Banks to Clark "drag" pass versus Purdue
3) 2002 Banks to Clark versus Wisconsin after faking the bubble screen

Ken O'Keefe can be frustrating with his predictability in play calling in general, but I will definitely admit that he has made several brilliant calls throughout his time at Iowa. Top three for me are:

1) 2009 Stanzi to McNutt slant pass versus MSU
2) 2002 Banks to Clark "drag" pass versus Purdue
3) 2002 Banks to Clark versus Wisconsin after faking the bubble screen

I agree that KOK can be very frustrating. One play that absolutely blew my mind was the roll-out LEFT and pass to DJK to set up the 31 yard field goal last year against PSU. I expected him to run it up the gut and put it in the middle of field.

I did notice that DJK was distraught -- but as soon as McNutt made the catch DJK was almost the first one to jump on the pile and congratulate McNutt.

DJK was just firing up the troops...no time for smiles..just game facing it.
That was a nice clip of Marvin and Ricky hugging in the locker room...as qbs they probably spent a lot of time together in marvins first two years...before he flipped to WR. Could not be happier for both guys.

djk was firing up the troops by having a pity party for himself?

So, Bohawk.

You played QB. What would have been the right thing for the D to do in that case? Is it a case of they might do what would have been the right thing and then Stanzi is forced into one of these options: goes a different way with the play called as is, tries to force it or makes an audible?

Let's think of it a different way. If Iowa were on D, what would have been the right thing for us to do to MSU?

If it's me, I'm not bringing a wholesale blitz, leaving each of my CB's in single coverage. I might bring one extra guy, since my safeties don't have to drop back near as far as they would if the Hawks had the ball on the 27 instead of the 7. Or what I discussed in another thread is that I might show blitz, bring a couple OLB's off each edge, but drop both DE's back to replace the blitzing LB's (zone blitz). In hindsight, that would have been a great call.

That play doesn't happen that way if MSU makes it clear that they are NOT going to blitz.

I think the blitz was a good play call for them. They were causing Stanzi all sorts of problems all night by bringing the pressure, plus we just got done driving the field on them while they were laying back in coverage. Lets face it, if they cover on the play they win, if our receiver beat em, we win. We all know what happened.

Latest posts