A few nice things

NCHawker

The hawks have gone for it on 4th down more this year than anytime I can recall - esp in redzone.

Seems like Iowa was still trying to score on O late in game.

I agree but some of that is probably a lack of faith in the kickers too. Ellis is the short kick guy and Ferentz doesn't seem to want him to kick.

The hawks have gone for it on 4th down more this year than anytime I can recall - esp in redzone.

Seems like Iowa was still trying to score on O late in game.

Yep, going into the game we were #8 in the nation in 4th down conversions made. Nobody could have guessed that from a KF team.

First time I have disagreed was today. Should have kicked that one to put us up 17. 1) With 2+ minutes left, the smart play is to go up 3 scores, even if Purdue's O was inept and 2) it would have been good to get Koehn one more live game rep at kicking a FG.

First time I have disagreed was today. Should have kicked that one to put us up 17. 1) With 2+ minutes left, the smart play is to go up 3 scores, even if Purdue's O was inept and 2) it would have been good to get Koehn one more live game rep at kicking a FG.

I agree logically with everything you said.

But seeing Ferentz get a little aggressive..I like it no matter what the reason. I'm not happy with many of the things that he has done, but this gives me a shred of hope that he might be willing to evolve and do something different. Who knows? Maybe someday he'll coach his team to defend fake punts.

On the other hand, Purdue had a better chance of scoring off a long return than marching it down the field on Iowa's D. When you think of the chance of a first down, the chance of turning it over and Purdue marching it down the field, the chance that Purdue is able to get a long return on a kickoff after a field goal, and the chance of missing the field goal, I think it's a good, aggressive choice.

On the other hand, Purdue had a better chance of scoring off a long return than marching it down the field on Iowa's D. When you think of the chance of a first down, the chance of turning it over and Purdue marching it down the field, the chance that Purdue is able to get a long return on a kickoff after a field goal, and the chance of missing the field goal, I think it's a good, aggressive choice.

That is how I see it. Good strategic move. If we don't score they are pinned deep around the 5 yard line with a lot of green to go to make two touchdowns with very little time left and, I believe, no timeouts.....

I was invigorating watching the seconds tick off the clock, almost feeling the pain of the fans, team and coaching staff.....

:cool:

That is how I see it. Good strategic move. If we don't score they are pinned deep around the 5 yard line with a lot of green to go to make two touchdowns with very little time left and, I believe, no timeouts.....

I was invigorating watching the seconds tick off the clock, almost feeling the pain of the fans, team and coaching staff.....

:cool:

Yes, kind of nice watching that from the other side for once. ;)

Even when we weren't pulling away, I couldn't see us not being ahead by the end of this thing. Purdue had possibly the worst QB I've ever watched play college football, and the running game was reasonably sound today.

I'm in the camp of people who want to see Beathard starting games until he proves he can't win. He plays with less fear and throws with reasonable accuracy. Without some of the terrible drops he would look even better today.

I agree but some of that is probably a lack of faith in the kickers too. Ellis is the short kick guy and Ferentz doesn't seem to want him to kick.
Does Koehn have a glitch in his form that prevents him from making the short FGs?

Yeah, I'm supposed to say something nice.. You sound like my wifey. Do I hear voices? Maybe I should go to bed...my wife is telling me to. It's late. She's telling me to do better in practice.... if you know what I mean. Goodnight. I feel good about the Hawks.

Last edited:
Like seeing Hawks being aggressive, but would have kicked FG late, on Saturday, just to get another live FG attempt, just for practice, and hopefully some confidence. But I am sure KF saw same thing, I did Purdue was doing nothing against are defense.

I agree logically with everything you said.

But seeing Ferentz get a little aggressive..I like it no matter what the reason. I'm not happy with many of the things that he has done, but this gives me a shred of hope that he might be willing to evolve and do something different. Who knows? Maybe someday he'll coach his team to defend fake punts.

How many successful fake punts have teams ran against the Hawks in KF's tenure?

And the last one attempted was defended perfectly in Lincoln last November.

I would NOT have kicked the one to go up 17. I would have kicked the one to go up 10 after the miscommunication between CJ and Willies.

Same here. I don't understand not taking a 2 possession lead at all. The one toward the end it was better to go for it. You either score, and if you don't, they have to go 90+ yards and score, get an onsides kick and score again.

Looks like 'ol Captain Conservative has taken off his cap!! BooYeah!

jkjk... but in all seriousness, if he kicks a field goal just to get more game reps in for the kicker, couldn't the same logic be applied to getting CJ more game reps on a fourth-down play?

Really though, I assume it was because even if you miss Purdue has to march 95 yards for a score.

Looks like 'ol Captain Conservative has taken off his cap!! BooYeah!

jkjk... but in all seriousness, if he kicks a field goal just to get more game reps in for the kicker, couldn't the same logic be applied to getting CJ more game reps on a fourth-down play?

Really though, I assume it was because even if you miss Purdue has to march 95 yards for a score.

I was happy they went for it, even though they missed. It's not the usual Kirk thing to do.

Latest posts