A Few Conference Only Stats I Find Interesting

NYCHawkeye74

1 - A lot has been made about the Hawk's lights out shooting the past two games and for good reason. As Iowa fans we have become accustomed to terrible shooting in recent years. But despite some horrible shooting performances early in the year, Iowa is #2 in FG % at 48%. Its refreshing.

2 - Our 3 point shooting isn't that bad. We are a middle of the road 35%. In recent years Fran would have given his right testicle for that, probably. It is good for 7th in the conference. While it isn't lights out, at least it isn't hurting us anymore. It should be noted, however, that we have the fewest attempts of any team.

3 - Our A:T Ratio is pretty good! At 1.2 it is good for 4th in the conference. I'll take it. Wisky is at 2.0 which is crazy, especially given they were missing their PG!

4 - Mike Gessel is shooting 51%...with a bad shoulder. He has been one of the biggest disappointments in terms of shooting in his first couple of years (IMHO). But I guess I have to give credit. 51% for a guard is VERY GOOD.

I think our resurgence can be see in these numbers. Now can we be consistent? We don't need to shoot 60% each game, but having our bad games in the low 40's would be nice!

Iowa's offensive execution has been excellent the last couple games - just getting much better looks instead of lots of threes and contested jumpers. That's how you shoot 60%! Just get good shots. Not that I expect THAT type of shooting to continue, but I agree, shoot 45-50% overall pretty consistently and the team will be in good shape, as long as the defensive intensity continues.

It seems Iowa is doing a much better job of picking its spots on the 3's lately, too. Instead of jacking up 20-25 threes, they've been 4-11 and 5-11 the last two games, respectively, and we generally seem to be having the right guys taking those shots when they are there - Uthoff & Jok. "Efficient" is the word I would use.

I will take 48% overall and 35% (maybe 37%?) f/3, consistently in every remaining game.

As long as there are no prolonged droughts to make them hang their heads and mail it in defensively, they will win their next 10 games if they could just shoot those numbers.

Certain Iowa players are becoming more physical which leaves other shooters alone and Gesell is pushing the ball more in the lane with occasional assists .. Enough said about Iowa's turnaround.

Last edited:
Iowa's offensive execution has been excellent the last couple games - just getting much better looks instead of lots of threes and contested jumpers.
That's how you shoot 60%! Not that I expect THAT type of shooting to continue, but I agree, shoot 45-50% pretty consistently and the team will be in good shape, as long as the defensive intensity continues.

It seems Iowa is doing a much better job of picking its spots on the 3's lately, too. Instead of jacking up 20-25 threes, they've been 4-11 and 5-11 the last two games, respectively, and we generally seem to be having the right guys taking those shots when they are there - Uthoff & Jok. "Efficient" is the word I would use.

Precisely! They've spent the meltdown last season and much of the first 20 games this season before figuring out their offense needs to run inside-out. They not only have a significant size but also a length advantage that they've just failed to exploit in way too many games. Adding a legitimate 3-point shooter, who's actually willing to shoot - Jok - has helped, too.

The 20-25 threes were 'fall-back' threes (shot clock running out) or one-touch threes. In either case, not much of an offensive set used.

The side to side ball movement has been light and day better the past few games. They are finally using the whole court during offensive possessions and are realizing that helps break down defenses which leads to higher percentage looks.

The side to side ball movement has been light and day better the past few games. They are finally using the whole court during offensive possessions and are realizing that helps break down defenses which leads to higher percentage looks.

I noticed the improved ball movement, as well. It certainly stresses a defense a lot more, especially in the paint, which, interestingly, we scored a ton more points than the opposition...

Latest posts