A dose of reality for Iowa football

theobserver

A rather jarring thought about Iowa football next year ... and conceivably for many years to come:

Will HawkeyeNation support a team that regularly finishes no better than fourth or fifth in the conference and potentially several slots below that? Ponder this for a moment:

- Urban Meyer clearly has brought his championship fairy dust to Columbus. Ohio State just defeated No. 19 Michigan 26-21 to go 12-0 for the season. If not for NCAA sanctions, the Buckeyes could be playing in the BCS title game. The best thing that could have happened to tOSU was getting caught in some player funny business and Tressel to getting fired, opening the door for Meyer to return to college coaching in one of the premier programs in the country. Ohio State will be very hard to beat in the Big Ten, likely for however long Meyer remains coach.

- Nebraska. Say what you will about Bo Pellini (and much can be said), he is a good, aggressive coach and proven winner. Nebraska is still Nebraska, and will be a step ahead of Iowa to compete for the best athletes of the central and upper Midwest, if not extending even to California and to the East. Forget 13-7. In better weather conditions, Martinez goes pass crazy and the Huskers win by two to three touchdowns. Again, this will always be a tough game for Iowa.

- Michigan. Brady Hoke appears to be the real deal and is getting the Wolverines back to the glory days. Listen to the guy in interviews and on television specials and what high school phenom wouldn't want to play for Hoke? Plus, he has the advantage of working with a hands-on AD who wants everything done first-rate. Under Hoke, expect the Wolverines to always be nosing around the top spot in the division, likely challenging Nebraska to play in the conference championship game.

- Penn State. The poor, embarrassed, depleted, near-dead Nittany Lions just happen to be 7-4 overall and 5-2 in the conference, and are giving Wisconsin a heckuva game even as I type this. One of those wins was an embarrassing 38-14 whipping of a listless Iowa team @ KINNICK. Bill O'Brien so far is proving to be one heckuva coach working miracles in a difficult situation. He clearly has used the "us-against-the-world" approach to great advantage. Do not be surprised if O'Brien gets Penn State back to the levels of JoePa's best years.

After those four teams, Iowa still would need to get past Wisconsin and Northwestern to even try to climb out of the middle of the conference and to contend for a division championship, much less making it to the title game in Indianapolis.

Even if Greg Davis remains as Offensive Coordinator, the head coach is Kirk Ferentz, whose conservative approach to the game, unwillingness to take a risk, strong reluctance to bench under-performing upperclassmen and, frankly, frequently questionable game management, make it increasingly unlikely he will be able to field a team that does much better than 6-6 or 7-5.

Just an observation...

I can't disagree with anything that you said. KF's conservative approach has hurt this team without question. Yesterday was also just another example of one of many times where his clock management has been atrocious. I realize I'm not a division 1 coach, but I cannot fathom how you don't give the backup QB a single snap in a season this bad. On top of that nothing changed with the offense all season despite its gross under-performance. There were a lot of things this season that I would label "inexcusable" and those are two of them.

Good, if not depressing, thoughts. Ferentz does not appear to have kept pace with upgrades at several of the other programs in the conference.

I think Hoke is a decent coach. But I haven't seen anything yet to be confident enough to say he's going to bring Michigan back to the glory days. Once he wins something of substance maybe I will change my mind.

Tressel dominated when he was at OSU so the Urban hire doesn't change much. Even though I agree that Meyer is a better coach than Tressel. Still, it's not like OSU traded up that much.

Everyone figured that this was PSU's last chance at something resembling a decent season. Once their recruiting sanctions take over, it will be tough for them to compete.

I do agree that we are screwed. But it has more to do with ourselves than the other schools.

I think Hoke is a decent coach. But I haven't seen anything yet to be confident enough to say he's going to bring Michigan back to the glory days. Once he wins something of substance maybe I will change my mind.

Tressel dominated when he was at OSU so the Urban hire doesn't change much. Even though I agree that Meyer is a better coach than Tressel. Still, it's not like OSU traded up that much.

Everyone figured that this was PSU's last chance at something resembling a decent season. Once their recruiting sanctions take over, it will be tough for them to compete.

I do agree that we are screwed. But it has more to do with ourselves than the other schools.

Exactly what I was thinking. It looks the same going forward as it does right now. Hell, maybe a little better since Bert seems to have dialed things back a bit up in Wisco.

To respond to your initial question; Will Hawkeyenation still support this program if they fail to compete year in and year out...the answer is yes. If you don't get that, then you don't understand Iowa.

veryone figured that this was PSU's last chance at something resembling a decent season. Once their recruiting sanctions take over, it will be tough for them to compete.

I don't know about that. So far O'Brien has kept it together, far better than I would have guessed. Will have to see what happens in the off-season and whether he can still get the players, even with the sanctions. With the support of a fan base and student body PO'd at the NCAA and anyone who would dare besmirch the school or JoePa in the wake of the scandal, he sure seems to be working the "We are Penn State" approach well. At this point I wouldn't bet against him.

I can't disagree with anything that you said. KF's conservative approach has hurt this team without question. Yesterday was also just another example of one of many times where his clock management has been atrocious. I realize I'm not a division 1 coach, but I cannot fathom how you don't give the backup QB a single snap in a season this bad. On top of that nothing changed with the offense all season despite its gross under-performance. There were a lot of things this season that I would label "inexcusable" and those are two of them.

That conservative approach is also going to hurt Iowa in recruiting and already has..

"...To respond to your initial question; Will Hawkeyenation still support this program if they fail to compete year in and year out...the answer is yes. If you don't get that, then you don't understand Iowa.

Its a different time...back in the day it was true, today - no, they won't continue to show up in the same numbers. I think the basketball situation tells you how this plays out these days...empty seats and lots of them

Its a different time...back in the day it was true, today - no, they won't continue to show up in the same numbers. I think the basketball situation tells you how this plays out these days...empty seats and lots of them

That was basketball, not football. It has nothing to do with "these days". Iowa football is an unrivaled event, and we'll always have more than 60,000 in that barn.

The love that most people have for Iowa football does go beyond just the games themselves. The tailgating, the atmosphere etc. etc, have a lot to do with it.

I mean, we sucked hard this year and I still would have loved to have been at every game. I can't say the same for basketball (and I like basketball more than football)

The love that most people have for Iowa football does go beyond just the games themselves. The tailgating, the atmosphere etc. etc, have a lot to do with it.

I mean, we sucked hard this year and I still would have loved to have been at every game. I can't say the same for basketball (and I like basketball more than football)

Basketball's not an event. You have 4 times as many home basketball games, and they are not a whole day event, they are a 2.5 hour event.

How DARE YOU NOTICE !

gorilla-in-the-room2.jpg

I don't know about that. So far O'Brien has kept it together, far better than I would have guessed. Will have to see what happens in the off-season and whether he can still get the players, even with the sanctions. With the support of a fan base and student body PO'd at the NCAA and anyone who would dare besmirch the school or JoePa in the wake of the scandal, he sure seems to be working the "We are Penn State" approach well. At this point I wouldn't bet against him.

I'm not betting against O'Brien as far as where he can lead PSU in the future. But it's gonna be tough for him once the numbers game goes into effect. Like I said, everyone figured this and possibly next season would be there chance to make some noise. Once the scholarship limitations start making an impact, it will be very tough for him to have any real success. Once you start having depth issues, it's pretty tough to have success.

Again, I think he's a quality coach. But I would have no problem in betting against him once the sanctions take hold.

Again, I think he's a quality coach. But I would have no problem in betting against him once the sanctions take hold.

Yep. This year was, as far as his situation goes, as good as it's gonna get. From this point out, he has zero margin for error in recruiting. Nick Saban couldn't win in those circumstances.

The good news about sucking in football... I don't see football ticket prices going up. I think we will always get good crowds, but I doubt we'll sell out Kinnick winning 4 games a year.

The good news about sucking in football... I don't see football ticket prices going up. I think we will always get good crowds, but I doubt we'll sell out Kinnick winning 4 games a year.

Hope you're correct (I'm a season ticket holder).

However....the Athletic Dept is going to play "fruit basket upset" again this winter regarding re-arranging where one sits and what "premium" one pays to sit there.

Section 138 (where I'm at) currently has no premium surcharge. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there was "surcharge creep" where previously no-surcharge, or lower-surcharge seats 'creep' into the next surcharge level, or, the surcharges simply go up in the already established areas.

Raising ticket prices is like killing a frog in a pot of water. If you put a frog into boiling water, it immediately jumps out. If you put that same frog into warm water, then slowly raise the temp, the frog will eventually be overcome and is dead, and had no idea what hit him.

Latest posts