A Closer Look at Some AP Ballots

I like Sipple. Have met him and a real genuine cat.

But right after the Holiday bowl, he said Nebraska's defense would be better this year than last, without Suh...I remain unconvinced.

Man, I wonder what is that kool aid of the two guys who gave Iowa votes at #3. I want some of that!

Looking at Hlas' ballot, I wonder if he was just screwing around at 24 and 25.

#3 seems a little low to me, but it is the most realistic when viewing the AP voters as a whole. OK to put Alabama 1 (although I don't think they'll repeat), they're last years champs so until someone knocks them off, 1 it is. OK to put Ohio State at 2 (although I don't think they're the best team in the Big Ten this year), they've won the Big Ten nearly every year this past decade and have played in a few NC games - they're a sure top 10 team this year. Besides those "respect" picks, you can't really put anyone else in front of Iowa. Boise State...they'll lose to VT and should be booted from the top 25 cause they don't play anyone else all year. TCU...ditto. Florida, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas...all take a step back. Georgia Tech...whachyou smokin' and can I have some?

#3 seems a little low to me, but it is the most realistic when viewing the AP voters as a whole. OK to put Alabama 1 (although I don't think they'll repeat), they're last years champs so until someone knocks them off, 1 it is. OK to put Ohio State at 2 (although I don't think they're the best team in the Big Ten this year), they've won the Big Ten nearly every year this past decade and have played in a few NC games - they're a sure top 10 team this year. Besides those "respect" picks, you can't really put anyone else in front of Iowa. Boise State...they'll lose to VT and should be booted from the top 25 cause they don't play anyone else all year. TCU...ditto. Florida, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas...all take a step back. Georgia Tech...whachyou smokin' and can I have some?

They also play Oregon State. So if VT were to win in overtime (in what is basically a home game for them), and then BSU were to bounce back and beat OSU fairly convincingly, they should still be completely out of the Top 25? Give me a break. I don't think they lose both of those games, either. They may win both, but I don't see them losing both.

In the Pollstalker section on the side of the page, enter in College Football '09 for the sport. Then select AP poll CFB '09 for the poll (don't pick the AP/BCS poll). Then you can select any of the 60 voters' ballots for any week during the season.

Either I did that wrong, or you missed the joke.

Edit: (in case it doesn't say edit, in which case I'm being redundent) I did it right. Not funny?

#3 seems a little low to me], but it is the most realistic when viewing the AP voters as a whole. OK to put Alabama 1 (although I don't think they'll repeat), they're last years champs so until someone knocks them off, 1 it is. OK to put Ohio State at 2 (although I don't think they're the best team in the Big Ten this year), they've won the Big Ten nearly every year this past decade and have played in a few NC games - they're a sure top 10 team this year. Besides those "respect" picks, you can't really put anyone else in front of Iowa. Boise State...they'll lose to VT and should be booted from the top 25 cause they don't play anyone else all year. TCU...ditto. Florida, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas...all take a step back. Georgia Tech...whachyou smokin' and can I have some?

Does that mean you would have the Hawks higher?

When I see "low" as it refers to these polls, is the higher number usually referred to as a lower ranking, and vice-versa?

Jon, as a member of the media, what is the standard practice, if there is one?

I consider #3 to be a high ranking, while the number itself is actually low. Perhaps I'm just way overthinking it.

Last edited:
Either I did that wrong, or you missed the joke.

Edit: (in case it doesn't say edit, in which case I'm being redundent) I did it right. Not funny?

I just didn't click on the link in your OP, so I just missed the joke lol. But now that I clicked on it, it was pretty humorous :D

Not to push any buttons but you guys are freaking out for being in the top 10. How the hell would you react if you were in the top 5.

Not to push any buttons but you guys are freaking out for being in the top 10. How the hell would you react if you were in the top 5.

It's just not often that we are in this position. And with the past decade's performance, this could be a real opportunity to move up the CFB heirarchy by a rung or two, and get to where we can compete regularly with the OSU's of the world, rather than just when we put together one of our best squads.

Latest posts