8 - Game Schedule

WinOneThisCentury

Ok...here is the regular 10 game schedule...let's hope we can maybe drop OSU as a crossover...or at least Penn State. Those are two ROAD crossovers that would be a bit penal in an 8 game schedule.

• Sept. 5: vs. Maryland
  • Sept. 12: at Purdue
  • Sept. 19: at Minnesota
  • Sept. 26: vs. Nebraska
  • Oct. 3: vs. Northwestern
  • Oct. 10: at Illinois
  • Oct. 17: Bye
  • Oct. 24: at Penn State
  • Oct. 31: vs. Michigan State
  • Nov. 7: Bye
  • Nov. 14: vs. Wisconsin
  • Nov. 21: at Ohio State

Ok...here is the regular 10 game schedule...let's hope we can maybe drop OSU as a crossover...or at least Penn State. Those are two ROAD crossovers that would be a bit penal in an 8 game schedule.

I think that schedule contemplated an open week prior to the title game. No way in hell the B1G is going to want to risk its prize fighter with a December game against Iowa with no bye week because that's the kind of game where even if OSU wins it loses because its linemen are gonna be beat to shit. Absolutely no way. Give that game to Northwestern or something. The conference needs to keep OSU absolutely pristine to try to push it into the playoff for the cash bince the bowl season is toast.

They'll likely keep one of those road games. Hopefully Wisconsin has to keep their road game vs Michigan and Minnesota will keep their home date with Michigan. Otherwise those crossovers will get very unbalanced.

But if the schedule does include those games, poor Michigan. Playing the East division with crossovers vs Wisconsin and Minnesota. That wouldn't be fair to them.

Just a lot of moving parts here that will have a huge impact on the divisional race in the West.

One thing I don’t get about crossover games—if the point is to make sure each student-athlete gets a chance to play each team from other side, why a ‘protected rival’. We play PSU SIX STRAIGHT times. That kinda defeats the purpose of cycling thru the opponents from the East

One thing I don’t get about crossover games—if the point is to make sure each student-athlete gets a chance to play each team from other side, why a ‘protected rival’. We play PSU SIX STRAIGHT times. That kinda defeats the purpose of cycling thru the opponents from the East

I believe it is simply a lack of imagination on the Big Ten's part. The problem starts with Indy and Purdue needing to play every year. If not for that, they could simply set up a 7 year schedule where everybody plays everybody 3 times in 7 years.

I have a hunch after 2021 or 2022, the Big Ten is going to scrap divisions and just have the top 2 teams play in the championship game. Each team will get 5 protected rivals they play each year and they will play the other 8 teams 50% of the time.

They'll likely keep one of those road games. Hopefully Wisconsin has to keep their road game vs Michigan and Minnesota will keep their home date with Michigan. Otherwise those crossovers will get very unbalanced.

But if the schedule does include those games, poor Michigan. Playing the East division with crossovers vs Wisconsin and Minnesota. That wouldn't be fair to them.

Just a lot of moving parts here that will have a huge impact on the divisional race in the West.

I'm sorry but there isn't a scenario in which you'd ever hear "poor Michigan" come out of my mouth or typed on this board. Harbaugh could be the only one to show up at one of his slumber parties and I still wouldn't feel an ounce of sympathy toward him or that program. I think that would be perfectly fair to see them playing at Wisconsin and Minnesota.

I saw on BTN that there is going to be a 9th game. On the last day of the season, the day of the B1G title game, all B`G teams will plays. The schedule will be:

B!G West #1 vs B1G East #1
B1G West #2 vs B1G East #2
B1G West #3 vs B1G Est #3
Big West #4 vs B1G Weat #4

and son on.

My initial thought is I like it, my second thought is who will the Hawks play? I'll bet it's a tough match up.

I saw on BTN that there is going to be a 9th game. On the last day of the season, the day of the B1G title game, all B`G teams will plays. The schedule will be:

and son on.

My initial thought is I like it, my second thought is who will the Hawks play? I'll bet it's a tough match up.

Yeah...I would have liked them to see them play a non-con rival. Let's say we are #2 to and play Penn State #2 (possibly AGAIN, right)...that makes no sense. I'd rather see us play Iowa State.

I did read somewhere that for the 9th game they would try to avoid rematches and match teams up with someone who they had not yet played. Don't know if that is going to happen or not.

and son on.

I have been wondering if the scheduling for champions round will be somewhat flexible to avoid rematches. So if 2nd has already played 2nd, then 2nd will play 3rd instead, etc.

I haven't seen this confirmed but they were talking about this on the radio in the Twin Cities and basically the ADs are going with the preCOVID 9 game schedule as the template for this season and cutting it down.

Everyone is keeping the locked in crossover game that they've been playing since 2016. They want to keep that 6 game series even with 3/3 split. This season its West teams @ East teams.

For Iowa that's @PSU.

And then keeping the crossover game in which the East team is @ West.

So that would mean MSU coming to Kinnick. And the @OSU contest doesn't happen.

I like the East vs. West match-ups at the end, but isn't that all the more reason to limit the season to a six game divisional schedule with a couple bye weeks worked in? That'd allow for flexibility for re-scheduling missed games, and give the kids a bit of a break here and there given we may see more injuries this season. It'd also make the East vs. West jamboree so much more compelling at the end of the season. We could have debates about the better division all fall, without any data points for comparison. And like 2020 has already had enough misery, if Illinois and Rutgers play twice in a month it's time to jerk the wheel into a goddamn bridge abutment.

Latest posts