8 Big Ten teams in ESPN's Top 40 Recruiting Classes for 2013

Originally posted by papathawki
So, you end up in the hospital because the "strength" coach over did things, and it's the players fault? So the players should have been kicked off the team??
Survival of the fittest, sucka.

Honestly, one of my closest friends played for the Hawks a few years back and, when the rhabdo thing came out, he said, "Yeah, it's hard, but it's not that hard. We did plenty of tough, tough workouts, but the coaches never sat there forcing you to finish if you absolutely couldn't do it."

He believed it could have been a hydration issue or players simply not following coaches' instructions and doing the workout too fast in order to look good/tough.

Originally posted by dave3912It just sucks because it seems that Kenny is the guy who many felt was the type of athlete at DE would have had the potential a Adrian Clayborn type guy in the pass rush.

Hill was a guy that few of the recruiting analysts said you could build a defense around.

That being said, I think DE will be a major concern on the recruiting trail next season. But this class really addresses DB's pretty well but Hill would have been nice to hang onto.
College football would be greatly helped by an early signing period first and foremost, but also forcing all conferences to follow the same rules as it applies to recruits (oversigning).

The latter wouldn't have made much difference for Iowa, in this case, because Kenney and Hill went to a pair of Big 10 conference teams.

In general, those two rules would really help college football's "middle class teams", so to speak.

And Iowa isn't one of them.

Lest this be taken as another negative post about Iowa football, feel free to construe this any way you want to.

Another poor to terrible recruiting class should mean 5 wins a year for the conceivable future.

* The "you won't know how good they are until they hit the field" comment regarding talent assessment.....how good has that been working for the last several years? They've been hitting the field and we know the outcome.

The problem the last several years is way, way too many 2* and walk on players in the two deeps and starting.

Iowa hasn't had the best luck with the higher star players that they have recruited at the skill positions, they either got into trouble and left school or had injury problems and played very minimal in their careers at Iowa.

See Jordan Bernstein, Jake Christiansen, Keenan Davis, Marcus Coker, Mikail McCall. All guys who either didn't live up to their recruiting hype or left early for whatever reason or had injury problems. Tony Moeaki was injuried more often than not.

The 2* guys or walk ons seem to be the ones who can stay healthy, keep their noses clean and take to the system better than the 3* plus star talent that Iowa recruits at the skill positions.

We don't need 'em. Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark 2*'s. Osceola is a hot bed of DE talent. Rumor has it some kid out there with the physical attributes of Jadaveon Clowney is only in 8th grade.

We don't need 'em. Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark 2*'s. Osceola is a hot bed of DE talent. Rumor has it some kid out there with the physical attributes of Jadaveon Clowney is only in 8th grade.

Sweet, should I start dropping off bags of cash now? Knowing our luck he is a closet ISU fan.

And Iowa isn't one of them.

Lest this be taken as another negative post about Iowa football, feel free to construe this any way you want to.

I wonder how much difference really exists between the 20th and 40th ranked teams in recuiting. My guess is that there is very little real difference. The big difference is probably between the top 10-15 teams (over a four year period) and all others. Iowa will never be a top 10-15 team in recruiting so the rankings aren't terribly relevent to me.

I may be missing your cynicism/sarcastic and tongue in cheek post... Mr Wise Elder.

You can have the most wonderful mind set, an incredible work ethic and discipline, smarter than all the other recruits but if you don't have the physical talent and athletic ability you aren't going to WIN in college football including the B1G TEN.

Players can be fundamentally sound, out work the opposition and be better coached... but if they don't have the talent, the athleticism and the physical edge they will LOSE.

True, but i would counter that outside of the clear elite 5 stars, when you factor in these are 17,18 year olds and development, growth potential...i would say very little separates many 3 and 4 star recruits. Ultimately it will usually come down to unknown talent and development, and the amount if surprise diamonds for Iowa.

Sure, i would love to see a few more "ready to go" level talents...buts never really been that way and isnt likely to change...even with success in the w/l column.

I feel decent about the young talent and the incoming class seems decent. Not great...but not awful.

Future is unknown, but i do believe we will see some improvement on the lines, which wil always be the make/break for the hawks.

I wonder how much difference really exists between the 20th and 40th ranked teams in recuiting. My guess is that there is very little real difference. The big difference is probably between the top 10-15 teams (over a four year period) and all others. Iowa will never be a top 10-15 team in recruiting so the rankings aren't terribly relevent to me.

My thought as well.

Latest posts