8 Big Ten teams in ESPN's Top 40 Recruiting Classes for 2013

homes

And Iowa isn't one of them.

Lest this be taken as another negative post about Iowa football, feel free to construe this any way you want to.

Doyle's downfall began when we didn't kick the kids who got Rhabado off of the team. He separated the men from the boys, but KF didn't have the balls to boot those slackers off the squad.

So, you end up in the hospital because the "strength" coach over did things, and it's the players fault? So the players should have been kicked off the team??

Doyle's downfall began when we didn't kick the kids who got Rhabado off of the team. He separated the men from the boys, but KF didn't have the balls to boot those slackers off the squad.

Yes, that would have been the thing to do, then when they all filed lawsuits and the school would have been looking at a huge settlement for all those players.

And Iowa isn't one of them.

Lest this be taken as another negative post about Iowa football, feel free to construe this any way you want to.

I follow the recruiting so I'm at least familiar with the kids when they come in and may even get a little excited over some game tape of a particular recruit, but it ultimately comes down to what the kids do when on campus. Weisman is one of the players I'm excited about most going into next year and dude is a walk-on. It sucks we lost Kenny and Hill, but Iowa ran into some bad luck with those guys. They were gone no matter what Iowa did this year. I'm still optimistic about a lot of the recruits in this class.

So, you end up in the hospital because the "strength" coach over did things, and it's the players fault? So the players should have been kicked off the team??

You weren't there, you don't know that he overdid things. He had done that drill many times in the past and no one got hurt. Kids are just softer these days. Anyway, Ferentz had a chat with him and has made sure it won't happen again and because of that, other teams cannot negatively recruit us.

I follow the recruiting so I'm at least familiar with the kids when they come in and may even get a little excited over some game tape of a particular recruit, but it ultimately comes down to what the kids do when on campus. Weisman is one of the players I'm excited about most going into next year and dude is a walk-on. It sucks we lost Kenny and Hill, but Iowa ran into some bad luck with those guys. They were gone no matter what Iowa did this year. I'm still optimistic about a lot of the recruits in this class.

It just sucks because it seems that Kenny is the guy who many felt was the type of athlete at DE would have had the potential a Adrian Clayborn type guy in the pass rush.

Hill was a guy that few of the recruiting analysts said you could build a defense around.

That being said, I think DE will be a major concern on the recruiting trail next season. But this class really addresses DB's pretty well but Hill would have been nice to hang onto.

Thats it right there. Heck with stars and all that, what is most important is mind set.

It just sucks because it seems that Kenny is the guy who many felt was the type of athlete at DE would have had the potential a Adrian Clayborn type guy in the pass rush.

Hill was a guy that few of the recruiting analysts said you could build a defense around.

That being said, I think DE will be a major concern on the recruiting trail next season. But this class really addresses DB's pretty well but Hill would have been nice to hang onto.

That is good, as every B10 team is looking to add speed on the edges. I am not saying the B10 is going to the spread, but in the next few years I bet you see the rise of the pass game again. As MSU and Iowa and Wisky all search for the right guys to get it going, the rest will be graduating qb's and wr's, but many of those can just reload. All signs point to a strong conf in 2 to 3 years.

Thats it right there. Heck with stars and all that, what is most important is mind set.

I may be missing your cynicism/sarcastic and tongue in cheek post... Mr Wise Elder.

You can have the most wonderful mind set, an incredible work ethic and discipline, smarter than all the other recruits but if you don't have the physical talent and athletic ability you aren't going to WIN in college football including the B1G TEN.

Players can be fundamentally sound, out work the opposition and be better coached... but if they don't have the talent, the athleticism and the physical edge they will LOSE.

Rankings can be scewd by hiw many u have verbeled/signed etc so sometimes you take it w a grain of salt.

I may be missing your cynicism/sarcastic and tongue in cheek post... Mr Wise Elder.

You can have the most wonderful mind set, an incredible work ethic and discipline, smarter than all the other recruits but if you don't have the physical talent and athletic ability you aren't going to WIN in college football including the B1G TEN.

Players can be fundamentally sound, out work the opposition and be better coached... but if they don't have the talent, the athleticism and the physical edge they will LOSE.

No what I was saying is, if ISU and Macs and our own past has shown us anything, it is not always the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. I would rather bring in a kid who will run thru a wall if asked and rs him to add 25 pounds, then a player who is at weight and all starred up, but has far less drive.
One thing I have noticed over the years, is not only can the numbers be skewed a bit, but I also noticed many guys putting on 30 or more pounds from JR to SR year in HS. Most of the time it is not good weight, but a last ditch effort to get in where they want. Then Doyle has to undo, before he can build.
If this is what OK4P meant by "soft" I agree.

* You don't build a team on player exceptions ( 3 star players that break through to stardom) * Ferentz has been late to the trends of recruiting* If you don't like the star rating systems then show the system you use to determine a prospect's potential* The "you won't know how good they are until they hit the field" comment regarding talent assessment.....how good has that been working for the last several years? They've been hitting the field and we know the outcome.* Best gauge for talent potential.....look at how many Top 20 caliber teams have extended offers to the player. They're the ones who go to games, attend camps, visit with coaches, review film, etc.The recruiting game has changed and continues to change with technology. Used to be you would be rewarded for your hard work and talent assessment more so. Now the player data and reputation are more widely known to all programs. The heavy lifting of the past is decreased. You can go to the internet to see game film, follow what your competition is doing regarding certain prospects on various websites, etc. So now it becomes more of a sales game. The key is not so much the "finding" as it is the "selling" these days. Winning solves many recruiting issues but so does the recruiting talent of your staff and the importance the head coach puts on that facet of the game.

Don't know why my first posting all filled in but should be...........

* You don't build a team on player exceptions ( 3 star players that break through to stardom)

* Ferentz has been late to the trends of recruiting

* If you don't like the star rating systems then show the system you use to determine a prospect's potential

* The "you won't know how good they are until they hit the field" comment regarding talent assessment.....how good has that been working for the last several years? They've been hitting the field and we know the outcome.

* Best gauge for talent potential.....look at how many Top 20 caliber teams have extended offers to the player. They're the ones who go to games, attend camps, visit with coaches, review film, etc.

The recruiting game has changed and continues to change with technology. Used to be you would be rewarded for your hard work and talent assessment more so. Now the player data and reputation are more widely known to all programs. The heavy lifting of the past is decreased. You can go to the internet to see game film, follow what your competition is doing regarding certain prospects on various websites, etc. So now it becomes more of a sales game. The key is not so much the "finding" as it is the "selling" these days.

Winning solves many recruiting issues but so does the recruiting talent of your staff and the importance the head coach puts on that facet of the game.

Latest posts