8-4 or 5-7

5-7 at this point. A QB can make a break a team as we have learned. Until one of the two shows they can play I will go for a disappointing season. NIU should be a pretty good barometer of how we will do. If we struggle then we will probably have a rough season.

I would only value a prediction from someone who, at the very least, has seen the team practice after this week and next. All the people predicting around 6-6 and offering that up as some kind of insight is become humorous.

Anyone that thinks this team is capable of 8-4 is just delusional. I mean that is straight Loony Tunes territory.

based on what? You're a great fan. I'm beginning to remember why I quit this site for several months more than once, but half the guys on here know more than Ferentz because they go by Rivals stars. Brilliant zombies drooling stars. Try being a fan and believe in the program and can the bs. That's what fans do, support the team and staff. If you know more than Ferentz what are you doing on this silly forum when you could be making millions? This team will compete count on it

I would like to see what some of these 5-7 trash talkers were saying at this time in 2002 or even 2009. I was at the UNI game and I predicted at that time they would have a great season. I encountered trash talkers that said they would not even beat the cyclowns. Many of those are the same people as the 5-7 crowd now.

All you have to do is look at what we have going on in the trenches to feel optimistic about the coming year. Last year, we were in nearly every ballgame with a chance to win in the fourth quarter, save maybe three games. In 2013, we will be much, much better on the offensive line and the defensive line. Guys are older, stronger, bigger, and motivated, so in my mind, that reasons we will be in every game again this year. That's where the game is won and lost boys...in the trenches.

Now, you have a couple of RBs that showed some pop last year (bullock and weisman), and 3 guys that will contribute this year...Malloy, Hill, and Canzeri. You have options. Our TE's have the potential to be a critical component to this offense. We are deep, big, and physical at TE. We will be able to run the ball...even with 7 or 8 in the box. The key to our offense will be the inexperienced QB, but they don't have to be game breakers to be effective. Play action will work, and they just need to get the ball where it belongs. I think that happens.

I think they are up tempo on offense this entire camp...except when the B10 Network is there. They are going to get as many reps for these QBs as possible. I'm leaning on 8-4 or 9-3. We turn the ship.

I can easily see a 6-6 season, it's from that point that the view gets murky. Win the first five and one more conference game and it's 6-6. It's not a automatic by any means. And every game lost in September is tough to make up in October and November.

Minnesota, Purdue, Michigan State and Wisconsin are the best chances for a Hawk victory. Minnesota being the most likely and Wisconsin the least likely. Northwestern, Michigan Nebraska and Ohio State are the toughest opponents in order. Northwestern is a possible upset because it's at home, but Nebraska and Ohio State are away games. It would surprise me if Iowa is within 10 points of Ohio State at halftime.

Last edited:
All you have to do is look at what we have going on in the trenches to feel optimistic about the coming year. Last year, we were in nearly every ballgame with a chance to win in the fourth quarter, save maybe three games. In 2013, we will be much, much better on the offensive line and the defensive line. Guys are older, stronger, bigger, and motivated, so in my mind, that reasons we will be in every game again this year. That's where the game is won and lost boys...in the trenches.

Now, you have a couple of RBs that showed some pop last year (bullock and weisman), and 3 guys that will contribute this year...Malloy, Hill, and Canzeri. You have options. Our TE's have the potential to be a critical component to this offense. We are deep, big, and physical at TE. We will be able to run the ball...even with 7 or 8 in the box. The key to our offense will be the inexperienced QB, but they don't have to be game breakers to be effective. Play action will work, and they just need to get the ball where it belongs. I think that happens.

I think they are up tempo on offense this entire camp...except when the B10 Network is there. They are going to get as many reps for these QBs as possible. I'm leaning on 8-4 or 9-3. We turn the ship.

I agree to a certain extent. I think this year is going to be better than last year. I don't think we are there yet, and 2014 will be the year. I hope you are right and some kids develop faster than what I think, and we get to 8 or 9 wins this year. I am hedging my bets on that and thinking 6 or 7 wins, with 2014 being the year we get close to 10 again.

Anyone that thinks this team is capable of 8-4 is just delusional. I mean that is straight Loony Tunes territory.

wow, your logic and reasoning is hard to argue with. due to that, you have convinced me and i'm officially joining your bandwagon.

anyone who thinks iowa is capable of 8-4 this season is absolutely delusional because

I think a reasonable expectation for this team is 5-7. Anything beyond that a bonus. If Iowa beats ISU in Ames, then perhaps we are justified in adjusting our expectations. Not that ISU is a good team or anything, but lets face it....Iowa has sucked on the road lately, regardless of opponent.

based on what? You're a great fan. I'm beginning to remember why I quit this site for several months more than once, but half the guys on here know more than Ferentz because they go by Rivals stars. Brilliant zombies drooling stars. Try being a fan and believe in the program and can the bs. That's what fans do, support the team and staff. If you know more than Ferentz what are you doing on this silly forum when you could be making millions? This team will compete count on it

No, he is not a great fan. He is someone that was ousted and comes back under a different name to stir the pot.

I think a reasonable expectation for this team is 5-7. Anything beyond that a bonus. If Iowa beats ISU in Ames, then perhaps we are justified in adjusting our expectations. Not that ISU is a good team or anything, but lets face it....Iowa has sucked on the road lately, regardless of opponent.

i don't see this team folding down the stretch. If they beat NIU, they will start the season at 5-1, and split the rest of the way.

I would only value a prediction from someone who, at the very least, has seen the team practice after this week and next. All the people predicting around 6-6 and offering that up as some kind of insight is become humorous.

Yep. My "official" prediction (as if there's anything official about MY prediction) is 4-8. I'm basing that on where the program left off last year, having a 1st year and inexperienced QB, and a tougher schedule this year. But all of that is also based on not having seen the team play in spring THIS YEAR. A year can sometimes make all the difference. After the 2007 season, who expected a 9-4 season in 2008? Stranger things have happened.

That said, Iowa has only gone 8-4 or better in the regular season two times since 2004. Based on where this program was in November of 2012, this is not the year for me to feel good about predicting 8-4. So I have to answer the OP with "5-7".

Not sure why 8-4 is Loony Tunes territory. Is it likely? Not really. Is it possible? Sure, especially if one of the QB's turns out to be above average. Not even great, just above average. One game, at OSU, is in the unwinnable category. Another, Nebraska, highly unlikely. Perhaps Michigan in the highly unlikely category as well, but it's at home. But the rest of the teams have loads of question marks as well. It's all in how well those question marks get answered.

Latest posts