7/5 PTL...

JHHawk

Sounds like Hubbard(36pts) had a big nite in the big showdown with Basabe(36pts),Gatens and White,winning in OT 121-115.
Basabe hit a jumper at the buzzer to take it into OT.
Basabe vowed after the game to have a re-match in the tourny final and beat them,as he thinks they are still the better team.
Hubb was a beast in OT.

Other games of interest: Cartwright's team got the win over Devyn Marble(36pts). Bryce played well. Brommer played for the first time on his repaired knee and looked good. Says that Fran told him the center position is his if he grabs it...and he is hungry.
White had 19pts,Gatens 25,Oglesby 18,Olaseni 10,May 10,McCabe 19....good competition out there from the sounds of it.

Note: Mrs Fran and kids attended to watch the games...

Sounds like Hubbard(36pts) had a big nite in the big showdown with Basabe(36pts),Gatens and White,winning in OT 121-115.
Basabe vowed after the game to have a re-match in the tourny final and beat them,as he thinks they are still the better team.
Hubb was a beast in OT.

Other games of interest: Cartwright's team got the win over Devyn Marble(36pts). Bryce played well. Brommer played for the first time on his repaired knee and looked good. Says that Fran told him the center position is his if he grabs it...and he is hungry.
White had 19pts,Gatens 25,Oglesby 18,Olaseni 10,May 10,McCabe 19....good competition out there from the sounds of it.

Glad to hear Hub played well, but that is four UNI players beating three Iowa players. Don't like the sound of that.

I hear that Hub has bonded with his UNI teammates and will be seeking a transfer. I guess CAAR was right to be worried about him playing with that team.

Glad to hear Hub played well, but that is four UNI players beating three Iowa players. Don't like the sound of that.

I think its quite a feat that the Iowa players took the UNI players to OT when they had a 4 on 3 advantage the entire game. :cool:

Last edited:
Hubb was a beast in OT.

thanks, great reporting! can hubbard play some point when cartwright needs a breather?

I hear that Hub has bonded with his UNI teammates and will be seeking a transfer. I guess CAAR was right to be worried about him playing with that team.

I knew we should have been worried. CAAR was right, spending two hours a week with the UNI guys is obviously much more meaningful than the countless hours he spends practicing, working out and just hanging out with his iowa teammates.

I have never seen Gatens get to the rim as well as he did in that clip.

I've never seen a PTL game with as much defensive intensity as a B10 game either. But yes, it was nice to see, although I'd be far more impressed with a one/two dribble pull up game from 10-15. That's what he really needs.

Saw much of the game...

Hubb was a beast in OT.

Good game for the PTL. Teams were contrasts. Gatens/Basabe had no one under 6-5, while Hubbard's team had smaller/quicker players. Hubbard will help Iowa. He is physically mature, not sure I would call him an explosive athlete, but definitely a Big 10 body and has basketball smarts. Knows how to create contact and space using his strength and not afraid to challenge people. If he is able to knock down the perimeter shot, he will be very difficult to guard. With the two guys from UNI and another guard from Upper Iowa who played well, Hubbard was never initiating offense, so didn't see enough of that part of his game to tell if he can handle PG in a Big 10 game.
The two smallish guards from UNI (James and Mitchell) can play. They aren't big, but confident with the ball. James had a huge second half last night.
Basabe has improved, better complement of moves to go with the right-hand jump hook he had last year. Of course we will see if he is as confident in those moves in a Big 10 game, but Mel plays with confidence/swagger, which this team needs. White has skill (can't teach 6-8 and shooting) but will have ups and downs like any freshman.

Holy cow is Devyn fun to watch! He looks much more confident and smoother in the PTL after one year to physically mature and work on his skills. It is PTL however, but very impressive clips.

From the video, Melsahn's outside shot looks good. We need better shooting from every position on this team...last year was a struggle to make shots. Devyn also seems to be shooting his turnaround quite well. Hubb made a few 16 fters...he needs to be able to knock down mid-range shot at minimum,to command respect off the dribble.
Our depth should be much better,but can our 5 on the floor beat their 5 in the Big Ten.I really think that it is going to be a scrum in the league after OSU and MSU.
We have to win our share in those games to make significant progress,and really hope to snag Woody,Gesell,and Lee...just to keep up with the 2012 recruiting at IU,Ill,OSU,MSU,PU,ect.

Latest posts