6 Weeks Until Kickoff...

Hawkfromnorwalk

Sorry guys, had a pretty busy weekend and didn't get this posted right when I wanted to...

Each week I will start a new topic and we can discuss until it's time for the season to start.

Week 1: Brew/drink of choice at the tailgate...done
Week 2: Best menu item...done
Week 3: Tailgate setup
Week 4: Tailgate spots
Week 5: Tailgate arrival time
Week 6: Tailgate games
Week 7: Best Tailgate moment/memory
Week 8: Best game day/Melrose/Kinnick experiences/stories

On to your tailgate setup. This can be a converasation ranging from what you bring now to maybe things you have on you're wish list.

I'll start. We come in two cars. We meet at the rest stop out on I-80 west of town and come in together this way we can park next to each other. We have a Hawk canopy that gets set up rain or shine. Of course plenty of Hawk folding chairs and a table. Our grill is a Coleman fold down Road Trip grill which we have both grates for grilling and griddle plates for eggs and such. We also got a propain heater for those really cold games. Both vehicles have at least two window Hawk flags, most of the time my vehicle has one in all four windows. Not only that, but I have a larger Hawk flag that attaches to the window when we aren't driving. It's pretty slick.

As for wants, well, where to begin. There are a couple of things we are looking into this year. One of them is an even larger Hawkeye flag. Scheels has the ones that are like 7' tall that you wedge the base under your tire to hold it up. I thnk they cost around $70.00. I am also going to get the DirecTV Sat-Go unit. It's a briefcase sized unit that unfolds revealing a flatscreen. You then just have to set it anywhere where there is an open view of the southern sky and it will pick up DirecTV. It'll be great for watching College Gameday and other games when Iowa starts later or when we decide to stick around after the game.

The biggest prize for us is an RV. Were looking to buy an older RV just to use for tailgating. Unfortunately this year we haven't found anything we would like to commit to. Hopefully somewhere down the road we will be able to pick one up. I think tailgating with an RV would be badass!

Anyway, that's my story. Let's see what you got!

I pack the chrysler concorde the night before.10ft x10ft hawkeye tent goes on floor in back seat,tailgating tote full of plates,coolies,spoons, forks and garbage bags go on back seat.6ft and 4ft table,2 hawkeye chairs,washer game,tailgating grill on wheels,cabelas propane crock pot and Mr Buddy heater for cold games all go in trunk(trunks 4ft x 4ft).Coolers to big for trunk so it goes in back seat also.Put the flags and the magnets on and put it back in garage.We pack the cooler that morning.How many flags have you lost do to some one rolling down the window while driving.3 for us so far.Were also looking for something bigger just for home games.

Park at my friends house in coralville (usually get there on Friday night)right off the strip. get hammered on friday night. and then saturday walk down to melrose/side streets and just go to all of the parties. Im over the whole traditional tailgating thing.

Just like the food thread I'm pretty basic. I pack a table, the cooler, a smallish Walmart type gas grill (not the smallest but the second smallest),chairs, hawkeye car flags,hawkeye car magnate. Only own a grand am so can't pack much.

I usually pack the non perishable stuff on Friday Night. Then pack the food,beer and pop in the morning.

Norwalk-

I am really intrigued by the DirectTV Sat-Go unit. Has it worked well for you guys? I think that may need to be an addition to our tailgate this fall.

What time do you typically leave the DM area/arrive in IC on gameday?

Go Hawks!

Norwalk-

I am really intrigued by the DirectTV Sat-Go unit. Has it worked well for you guys? I think that may need to be an addition to our tailgate this fall.

What time do you typically leave the DM area/arrive in IC on gameday?

Go Hawks!

another question on the sat-go...can you hook it up to a bigger TV?

Everything gets packed Friday night except the coffee for the road. I load up the van with 4 chairs (might buy some more this year), the Weber tailgate grill (also have a cheap WalMart back up, if needed), Hawkeye Baggo set, ladders, 2 portable tailgate propane tanks, cooler(s) filled with beer, pop, water, food and tons of ice (it's colder in that cooler than in my fridge, and food goes on the bottom and stays absolutely frigid, even for warm games), and a large box with paper plates, paper towels/napkins, plastic silverware, grilling utensils, foil, 7 or 8 coozies, seasonings & grill spray, garbage bag, and non-refrigerated food items (cookies, candy, nuts, etc). Just picked up a Hawkeye tailgate/beer pong table for this year, so that will be coming along as well (used to just use the back of the van w/ hatch open and back 2 seats folded down for the spread). I also throw in a Hawkeye football and a Hawkeye padded seat cover (for cold/rainy games) for Mrs. IHTINB. Also, I occasionally fill the Hawkeye football helmet nacho bowl thingamagjigger with some goodies and bring that along as well. Finally, I affix the window flag to the driver's side window. Van's all set, except for the carafe of coffee for the drive down. Coffee timer is set to brew a pot 30-40 minutes before we depart, and the first cup is poured in my Hawkeye traveling mug and we're off.

One other thing I do when packing the tailgate: I am the keeper of game tickets for our group. All tickets for that week's game are carefully removed and placed in a sealed envelope. The envelope goes in my right pants pocket and is not removed or opened until we approach our gate at the northwest corner of the stadium.

Holy hell, I gotta pack the van in 39 days and I'm already pacing like a caged babboon trying to think if I'm forgetting anything.

Holy specific Batman. Did you forget to mention you put gas in the van too?

My tailgate was the easiest. Drove over, parked, and walked over to a buddy's sweet set up complete with Hawk gear, food, and beer.

Easy, fun, and no work picking up.

Everything gets packed Friday night except the coffee for the road. I load up the van with 4 chairs (might buy some more this year), the Weber tailgate grill (also have a cheap WalMart back up, if needed), Hawkeye Baggo set, ladders, 2 portable tailgate propane tanks, cooler(s) filled with beer, pop, water, food and tons of ice (it's colder in that cooler than in my fridge, and food goes on the bottom and stays absolutely frigid, even for warm games), and a large box with paper plates, paper towels/napkins, plastic silverware, grilling utensils, foil, 7 or 8 coozies, seasonings & grill spray, garbage bag, and non-refrigerated food items (cookies, candy, nuts, etc). Just picked up a Hawkeye tailgate/beer pong table for this year, so that will be coming along as well (used to just use the back of the van w/ hatch open and back 2 seats folded down for the spread). I also throw in a Hawkeye football and a Hawkeye padded seat cover (for cold/rainy games) for Mrs. IHTINB. Also, I occasionally fill the Hawkeye football helmet nacho bowl thingamagjigger with some goodies and bring that along as well. Finally, I affix the window flag to the driver's side window. Van's all set, except for the carafe of coffee for the drive down. Coffee timer is set to brew a pot 30-40 minutes before we depart, and the first cup is poured in my Hawkeye traveling mug and we're off.

One other thing I do when packing the tailgate: I am the keeper of game tickets for our group. All tickets for that week's game are carefully removed and placed in a sealed envelope. The envelope goes in my right pants pocket and is not removed or opened until we approach our gate at the northwest corner of the stadium.

Holy hell, I gotta pack the van in 39 days and I'm already pacing like a caged babboon trying to think if I'm forgetting anything.

I have a "nerf" Hawkeye football. I think it's still in the plastic wrap. Like Nigel Tufnel's "price-tag" guitar, "It can never be played". I also have, from a UCF game, a generic black-n-gold nerf football. THAT can be used.

I have a Dodge Dakota with the requisite hawkeye magnet on the door. The Hawkeye window flag gets more love and respect than half my family members, but will break it out when actually going to a "live" Hawks game (I live in Orlando, so I don't do much Kinnick, unfortunately). Bring a small grill, a propane camp stove, charcoal, and coolers LOADED!

Basically, a pick-up truck affords all the luxuries of bringing chairs, grills, etc, but without a place for the "amateurs" to pass out (pre- OR post-game) or the females to have a little "privacy". Like I should worry about either of those, ANYway, since Hawkeye football is WAY more important than where a female goes to the bathroom or whether or not little Cousin Stevie can handle three shots of Black Velvet and three beers on an empty stomach. Sheesh! I don't have time for tailgate wusses!

I don't do TVs or radios, since someone else in the vicinity will ALWAYS have one, and it would be better than whatever I would buy. But...that DirecTV Sat-Go sounds ridiculously cool and tempting. Amazingly tempting.

Pack the truck Friday night, Hawkeye canopy (last year bought 3 side panels, was great for the Michigan game with the snow and wind) Hawk chairs, Tigerhawk flag and Gold "I" flag. Six foot table, baby Weber gas grill. Two Coleman single burners (attach to small propane bottles) and usually three coolers. If it's cold, I bring a small charcoal grill to use for warming hands and other body parts. Hawkeye magnets and window flags are the finishing touch.

Leave DSM by 4:15am, stop at the Tiffen rest area to pour the first bloody in a 55oz Kum and Go cup...nice warm glow by the time we are parked (Myrtle Lot or the Library lot, depending on the game)

Every year we buy something to add to the Hawk tailgate collection. Need to replace a couple of chairs, but might be time to buy a cornhole game.

10101880A~Dustin-Hoffman-Rain-Man-Posters.jpg

Hawkfromnorwalk-

I assume that since you still use the DirectTV Sat-Go it works well for you and your tailgating crew?

Based on what you have said, I am considering buying one and just wanted to get your take on how it has worked.

Thanks.

Go Hawks!

Hawkfromnorwalk-

I assume that since you still use the DirectTV Sat-Go it works well for you and your tailgating crew?

Based on what you have said, I am considering buying one and just wanted to get your take on how it has worked.

Thanks.

Go Hawks!

Sorry for the confusion, the SatGo is on my wishlist for this year. I hope to be ordering it within the next couple of weeks. I tried posting a youtube link but I keep getting a message that a moderator needs to approve my post. If you go to youtube and search "satgo" there are a few video reviews. It looks promising.

Latest posts