6 Quick Hits of #6 Seed

STILLBUSTER

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...14/misc_non_event/tourneyrecords_web_1314.pdf

#6 is 15-1 in first round of BTT
#6 is 8-7 in quarterfinals
#6 is 3-5 in semifinals
#6 is 1-2 in the finals

Iowa (2001) is the only #6 to have won the BTT.

Though #6 has only reached the finals 3 times, it has occurred twice in the last 4 tournaments (Goofer in 2010 and Nit Lions in 2011)

For the 2nd consecutive year, Iowa is #6 and will face the same 2 teams in #11 NwU and #3 MSU.
(It's Groundhog Day; let's get it right this time!)

#6 seed has 2nd most wins (27) and 3rd best record (27-15, .643) in BTT history. #3 is only 12-14, .462.

If you take absolute +/- values of #6 record, 27-15 = 12 & #3 record, 12-14 = 2. 12 / 2 = 6.
This year, #6 beats #3.

Go Hawks!

It is just sooo difficult to watch 2 full days of basketball before you finally step on the court at 8 o'clock the second day. The 6 seed plays at the exact same time the night before so they have a routine. These 2 things give the 6 seed a big advantage over the 3. The advantage is usually enough to counter the difference in talent between the 2 teams. Since this year the disparity in talent is less between the 2 teams than most years, Iowa wins by 10!

Just like the NCAA tournament, the 6 seed is not a bad place to be. The only issue really is that 4th game if you get that far, in terms of freshness, but otherwise, the match ups are usually pretty manageable if you're in this slot.

I agree that teams who play on Thursday may have an edge over teams playing for the first time on Friday. Less rust.

The problem this year is that the best team in the conference was banged up pretty much the entire season and ended as a #3 seed.

I would still have preferred the 5 seed and, obviously, the first round bye. The 6th seed has such a great record because up until Nebraska joined the conference 2 years ago the 5th seed got a bye and the 6th seed played the last place team in the first round.

this. i would like Iowa's chances much more against Michigan than against MSU.

It would have been ideal if we would have won and northwestern would have lost. Then we would have had to go northwestern, Nebraska, Michigan, to get to the title game.

I wanted a bye but in retrospect love our draw. Below is my perfect storm.

1st - (Northwestern)...I want nothing to do with Purdue especially in Indianapolis. They are better than Northwestern IMO. We don't need a bye right now. We have to win a game handily. I don't care about resting for future rounds. Leave no doubt.

2nd - (Michigan State)...We match up pretty well with them. They aren't playing their best...also lost last weekend. We will have a game under our belts. We have the advantage after playing Thursday IMO. We had them beat in this same scenario last year and lost to the whistles. We may lose but I want the opportunity to handle one more item on Fran's bucket list this year. Finally, I hate Izzo and his thugs. I want Iowa to be the team that sends them packing.

Semi-Finals - (Wisconsin)...This team should not have swept us. I don't like Wisconsin. I don't like Bo. I dislike every player on this team...probably the team manager as well. They can get the Nebraska loss out of their system on Friday...probably against Minnesota. This is the game where we start going deeper in the rotation. I want to be the team that sends them packing.

Finals - (Indiana)...The tournament is in Indianapolis so this is possible. They should not have beaten us. They will also be playing 4 games in 4 days. Their piece of garbage arena contributed to our end of season slide. I want Crean and his boys to get right to the brink of the NCAA tournament and then snatch it away from them. Seeing them in the "Last 4 out" group would be very gratifying.

1st - (Northwestern)...I want nothing to do with Purdue especially in Indianapolis. They are better than Northwestern IMO. We don't need a bye right now. We have to win a game handily. I don't care about resting for future rounds. Leave no doubt.

2nd - (Michigan State)...We match up pretty well with them. They aren't playing their best...also lost last weekend. We will have a game under our belts. We have the advantage after playing Thursday IMO. We had them beat in this same scenario last year and lost to the whistles. We may lose but I want the opportunity to handle one more item on Fran's bucket list this year. Finally, I hate Izzo and his thugs. I want Iowa to be the team that sends them packing.

Semi-Finals - (Wisconsin)...This team should not have swept us. I don't like Wisconsin. I don't like Bo. I dislike every player on this team...probably the team manager as well. They can get the Nebraska loss out of their system on Friday...probably against Minnesota. This is the game where we start going deeper in the rotation. I want to be the team that sends them packing.

Finals - (Indiana)...The tournament is in Indianapolis so this is possible. They should not have beaten us. They will also be playing 4 games in 4 days. Their piece of garbage arena contributed to our end of season slide. I want Crean and his boys to get right to the brink of the NCAA tournament and then snatch it away from them. Seeing them in the "Last 4 out" group would be very gratifying.

Agree with everything except the team manager from Wisconsin. That dude actually seems pretty cool.

As disappointing as getting the #6 seed is based on where we were a few weeks ago, I agree that this set up nicely.

-Start off with the one team in the B1G we know we're better than. Knock off the rust and regain some confidence.
-Get a chance to get the MSU monkey off our backs in a meaningful way.
-Too hard to predict who we'd see from there, but if we get rolling with those first two wins, I think we'd have an advantage the rest of the way.

The only thing I would change about your perfect storm is beating Michigan in the finals. Neutral court wins over the top 3 seeds in the BTT: MSU, Wisconsin, & Michigan would earn Iowa their best possible seed in the NCAA tournament. However I'm not to greedy, I'll take any wins they can get at this point.

Latest posts