6/23: Iowa Lands Texas WR

... but there is just something kind of unsettling about commits like this. I'll probably be wrong and the kid will end up an All-Big 10 selection by his senior year. I hope I'm wrong.

Being a little over dramatic there aren't you? Arkansas, Arizona, Utah, Iowa State and Louisiana Tech offered the kid, but more importantly Soup Campbell wants him and that should damn well be good enough for any Iowa fan.

Being a little over dramatic there aren't you? Arkansas, Arizona, Utah, Iowa State and Louisiana Tech offered the kid, but more importantly Soup Campbell wants him and that should damn well be good enough for any Iowa fan.

Additionally, the kid had an offer since the spring. By Iowa's "normal" standards ... that's pretty darn EARLY. That means that the coaches must really like what the kid brings to the table!

Glad to see us getting more good talent.

One concern is the recent tight end commit. I live near Mt. Pleasant and I'm hearing the young man is very talented but is a head case ready to explode.

I wish him the best and hope I have been mislead.

Glad to see us getting more good talent.

One concern is the recent tight end commit. I live near Mt. Pleasant and I'm hearing the young man is very talented but is a head case ready to explode.

I wish him the best and hope I have been mislead.

Sometimes these head-cases mature. Considering that he'll be battling behind Fiedorowicz ... he's going to have to bring his A game to earn any early playing time.

Sometimes these head-cases mature. Considering that he'll be battling behind Fiedorowicz ... he's going to have to bring his A game to earn any early playing time.

Hope you're right about the head-case thing. I don't want to lump Pat Angerer into that category, but KF and Pat himself made it clear that early in his career his head wasn't in the right place. At one point I believe he almost quit football all together. He clearly got his sh!t together which gives me hope for some of the other youngsters out there.

Hope you're right about the head-case thing. I don't want to lump Pat Angerer into that category, but KF and Pat himself made it clear that early in his career his head wasn't in the right place. At one point I believe he almost quit football all together. He clearly got his sh!t together which gives me hope for some of the other youngsters out there.

I can think of several guys who started things off a little rocky and ended up still maturing into fine ambassadors for the Hawkeye nation. By my recollection, DRob arguably fits into that category. Also, there have been plenty of guys who had trouble finding proactive outlets (to vent and whatnot) early in their careers ... and many turned out fine. Heck, guys like Reiff and Ferentz kinda count in the latter category ... and both will likely be starters for us in 2010. What's more ... I also expect that both of those guys likely have the immature crap behind them now.

You probably will be.

In 11 years this staff has been among the nation's best as identifying talent in players that others don't see and then developing that talent. I give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing because they have proven it over and over. And they have more information than we do.

C'mon Jon...probably will be wrong...that might be overstepping it a little bit considering that the statement he made was that he didn't see the kid being All Big-Ten...while the coaching staff is very adept at finding some diamonds in the rough here and there...that doesn't mean that just because we offer a kid a scholarship that he's automatically a diamond in the rough. Sometimes you have career special teamers that landed scholarships...good for them...we've got something like 100 scholarships...they can't all be starters.

Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, Chad Greenway...etc etc. Why should we doubt what this group can do with players that THEY want? I won't question it and when they win games and have very few if no issues at all during thier tenures at Iowa I will continue to not have a problem with them. I trust the staff and how long will it be before EVERYBODY is on board with this? Seriously to still question the staff after having 4 top ten finishes(spread out no less), 2 BCS trips, 8 bowl games(5-3 record), and 2 B10 championships this decade alone is a bit wierd to me.

(I think these guys know talent when they see it)

Mosi Tatupu Award Kahlil Hill (2001)WR/ST
Heisman #2 Brad Banks(2002)QB
AP POY Brad Banks(2002)QB
Davey O'Brien Brad Banks(2002)QB
John Mackey Award Dallas Clark(2002)TE
Lou Groza Award Nate Kaeding(2002)K
Walter Camp COY Kirk Ferentz(2002)HC(3-B10 COY)
Outland Trophy Robert Gallery(2003)OL
Doak Walker Award Shonn Greene(2008)RB
Def. POY/Yr(CFPA) Adrian Clayborn(2009)DE
Superbowl D-MVP Bob Sanders

(In comparison to the great Coach Hayden's awards while the coach)6-7-1 bowl record and 3 B10 championships.

Heisman #2 Chuck Long(1985)QB
Maxwell Award Chuck Long(1985)QB
Davey O'Brien Chuck Long(1985)QB
B10 COY Hayden Fry(3)

Last edited:

Latest posts