6/23: Iowa Lands Texas WR

I will always trust the judgement of Kirk & Co. but this commit seems to be a bit underwhelming. At some point do we need to worry about things like this impacting our ability to land the more heralded recruits? While I understand that the coaching staff doesn't just offer kids for no reason, you've got to think that some of them are "just in case" offers in the event we don't land our first choices and they are taking the roster spots before our primary targets pull the trigger.

I support the staff and I understand they have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, but there is just something kind of unsettling about commits like this. I'll probably be wrong and the kid will end up an All-Big 10 selection by his senior year. I hope I'm wrong.

I will always trust the judgement of Kirk & Co. but this commit seems to be a bit underwhelming. At some point do we need to worry about things like this impacting our ability to land the more heralded recruits? While I understand that the coaching staff doesn't just offer kids for no reason, you've got to think that some of them are "just in case" offers in the event we don't land our first choices and they are taking the roster spots before our primary targets pull the trigger.

I support the staff and I understand they have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, but there is just something kind of unsettling about commits like this. I'll probably be wrong and the kid will end up an All-Big 10 selection by his senior year. I hope I'm wrong.

if they are a 'just in case' offer, they would be offered conditionally. I'm guessing this guy is high on the board for iowa, otherwise, an offer and acceptance of a verbal commitment wouldn't happen.

if they are a 'just in case' offer, they would be offered conditionally. I'm guessing this guy is high on the board for iowa, otherwise, an offer and acceptance of a verbal commitment wouldn't happen.

I agree. I also think that the coaches have been stepping up the aggressiveness in their recruiting and they are no longer giving recruits an eternity to make a decision. If targets have visited the program quite a bit but haven't given the coaches a clear signal of their leanings ... I think that the coaches just move forward with their offers.

As we've been observing ... the more aggressive approach in recruiting has been reaping some rewards with regard to landing guys who are high or pretty high on our recruiting board.

3rd WR in this class. Depth is now there- welcome aboard. Once again, the coaches probably see something in this guy on tape or at his combine/workout that makes them warrant the offer.

my gut feeling is we could take one more WR if it is the "splash" name that all the message board recruiting geniuses are hoping for.

You probably will be.

In 11 years this staff has been among the nation's best as identifying talent in players that others don't see and then developing that talent. I give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing because they have proven it over and over. And they have more information than we do.

You probably know nothing about recruiting and nothing about how the Hawkeyes recruit. They dont offer just anyone or throw just in case offers out there. I trust Coach Campbell and I am sure this kid is worth the offer and commitment. He performed quite well at the Nike Combine against some top notch talent.........

You probably know nothing about recruiting and nothing about how the Hawkeyes recruit. They dont offer just anyone or throw just in case offers out there. I trust Coach Campbell and I am sure this kid is worth the offer and commitment. He performed quite well at the Nike Combine against some top notch talent.........

At what point did I say that I knew about recruiting and the way the Hawkeyes specifically recruit? I even stated that I was likely wrong and that they have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know. As a fan who supports the program and university financially, I have a right to voice my opinion, even if it's wrong. Deal with it, whiner.

As for the coaching staff not throwing out "just in case" offers. You are wrong. You can't honestly believe that they value every scholarship offer equally. You are saying that no kid is any more important than another and that all offers and players are equal. Why do you suppose it is that programs offer 80 kids when they only have 15-20 available scholarships? They are covering their butts in the event that their primary targets choose to go elsewhere. As I iterated in my initial post, I believe in the coaching staff and their decision making ability, but I don't have to have the exact same opinion about a particular kid as they do.

At what point did I say that I knew about recruiting and the way the Hawkeyes specifically recruit? I even stated that I was likely wrong and that they have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know. As a fan who supports the program and university financially, I have a right to voice my opinion, even if it's wrong. Deal with it, whiner.

As for the coaching staff not throwing out "just in case" offers. You are wrong. You can't honestly believe that they value every scholarship offer equally. You are saying that no kid is any more important than another and that all offers and players are equal. Why do you suppose it is that programs offer 80 kids when they only have 15-20 available scholarships? They are covering their butts in the event that their primary targets choose to go elsewhere. As I iterated in my initial post, I believe in the coaching staff and their decision making ability, but I don't have to have the exact same opinion about a particular kid as they do.

At this point in recruiting for 2011, I can guarantee they are not offering anyone they feel they might be reaching with. If they offered this kid in Dec., or Jan. then maybe that is the case. They offered him as soon as they evaluated him....means they wanted him....

At this point in recruiting for 2011, I can guarantee they are not offering anyone they feel they might be reaching with. If they offered this kid in Dec., or Jan. then maybe that is the case. They offered him as soon as they evaluated him....means they wanted him....

I agree. I certainly never meant that they didn't want the kid at all. They clearly see something they like and they have a lot more to base their decision off of than we do. My opinion is clearly much less informed, but it is my opinion nonetheless.

I agree. I certainly never meant that they didn't want the kid at all. They clearly see something they like and they have a lot more to base their decision off of than we do. My opinion is clearly much less informed, but it is my opinion nonetheless.

I agree about opinions....mine are frequently called into question also! :D

Latest posts