5star

When was the last time if ever in the last twenty yrs have we landed a 5 star recruit in football?

Stars don't mean anything...
Dallas Clark
Bob Sanders
Chad Greenway
Bryan Bulaga
Adrian Clayborn
Robert Gallery

I'm for sure missing players, but they were all 5 star caliber guys. So imo, the last real 5 star guy Iowa landed is probably Clayborn.

Dallas Clark
Bob Sanders
Chad Greenway
Bryan Bulaga
Adrian Clayborn
Robert Gallery

I'm for sure missing players, but they were all 5 star caliber guys. So imo, the last real 5 star guy Iowa landed is probably
Clayborn.

Clayborn 4* per rivals. last rivals 5* was Dan Doering class of '05.

Dallas Clark
Bob Sanders
Chad Greenway
Bryan Bulaga
Adrian Clayborn
Robert Gallery

I'm for sure missing players, but they were all 5 star caliber guys. So imo, the last real 5 star guy Iowa landed is probably Clayborn.

Bulaga was also a 4*, but by that logic then Scherff would also be a 5* correct? He's in the company of the ones you mentioned. Reiff also? Mike Daniels is having himself apretty good NFL start in Green Bay, how about him?

Bulaga was also a 4*, but by that logic then Scherff would also be a 5* correct? He's in the company of the ones you mentioned. Reiff also? Mike Daniels is having himself apretty good NFL start in Green Bay, how about him?

So is Micah Hyde a 5 star? He has done 1000X more than Gallery and basically equalled Bulaga since he has only played about a season

So is Micah Hyde a 5 star? He has done 1000X more than Gallery and basically equalled Bulaga since he has only played about a season

No, absolutely not. I was responding stevoskin's post claiming that Sanders, Clark, Bulaga, etc. should be 5*. I don't think it matters what you do at college. THose rankings are based on what you do before college and once you step foot on campus those stars don't mean much.

Dallas Clark
Bob Sanders
Chad Greenway
Bryan Bulaga
Adrian Clayborn
Robert Gallery

I'd guess if you tracked the amount of 4 & 5 star players each school in the nation has gotten over the past 10 years, those rankings would correlate closely with the rankings of the schools with the top winning percentages over the same time span.

In short, stars do matter. They're not the end all, be all, but the best teams got the most on a annual basis, therefore have more margin for error when one burns out, gets hurt, goes pro early. And the cycle continues.

I'd guess if you tracked the amount of 4 & 5 star players each school in the nation has gotten over the past 10 years, those rankings would correlate closely with the rankings of the schools with the top winning percentages over the same time span.

In short, stars do matter. They're not the end all, be all, but the best teams got the most on a annual basis, therefore have more margin for error when one burns out, gets hurt, goes pro early. And the cycle continues.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...llege-football-recruiting-teams-championships

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...-matters-why-the-sites-get-the-rankings-right

This. Landing a ton of blue-chip recruits is like winning the pole position in a stock car or Indy car race. It doesn't guarantee a win, but it puts you in a better position than everyone else to start the race.

Dallas Clark
Bob Sanders
Chad Greenway
Bryan Bulaga
Adrian Clayborn
Robert Gallery

Ferentz doesn't know how to coach a player with great athletic ability (when he gets a player with great athletic ability, he sits him on the bench). Every player has to play to Ferentz's style.

Ferentz's style is slow bruising running backs, QBs who know the playbook (nerds) and don't make mistakes, defensive backs that don't take chances, wide receivers who 'learn how to block downfield', and field position for the team. Any 2 or 3 star can play on this type of team. And the 5 stars are scared away.

Exactly. "Stars don't mean anything..." is a great weight room slogan, but as far as W/L% goes, I'm guessing the statistics would indicate stars matter A LOT.

We really have to give Gallery the benefit of the doubt...you could have put Jonathan Ogden out there in Oakland...and he may have washed out.

When you have 6 coordinators and 7 line coaches in 8 years (or whatever it was)...you're facing an uphill battle.

Robert's biggest mistake was not running...as fast as possible from Oakland.

Getting a 5* or 2 isn't a big deal unless they're a skill position guy and as Xerxes and tm mentioned, it's the teams that load up on 5* talents who benefit from them because you still have to sift through who's going to work for it and having someone just as good busting their *** for your starting spot makes the whole equal to the sum of the parts whereas Iowa relies on the whole being greater than the sum.

Getting a 5* or 2 isn't a big deal unless they're a skill position guy and as Xerxes and tm mentioned, it's the teams that load up on 5* talents who benefit from them because you still have to sift through who's going to work for it and having someone just as good busting their *** for your starting spot makes the whole equal to the sum of the parts whereas Iowa relies on the whole being greater than the sum.

okay herby, how about a period once in awhile!

Latest posts