5 to 7 Rides left, positions targeted?

spudhawk

After Sunday's haul Iowa stands at 15 known commits. This class should have 20 to 22 rides avaiable. By my math Iowa heads into next season with 67 rides spoken for. Here is a rough breakdown of the roster with commits and existing rides at each position, feel free to correct my numbers.

QB 1 (3)
TB 0 (5)
FB 0 (1)
WR 3 (8)
TE 1 (4)
OL 2 (11)
DE 1 (8)
DT 2 (5)
LB 1 (9)
CB 1(5)
S 1 (5)
K 0 (1)
P 0 (2)

After Sunday's haul Iowa stands at 15 known commits. This class should have 20 to 22 rides avaiable. By my math Iowa heads into next season with 67 rides spoken for. Here is a rough breakdown of the roster with commits and existing rides at each position, feel free to correct my numbers.QB 1 (3)TB 0 (5)FB 0 (1)WR 3 (8)TE 1 (4)OL 2 (11)DE 1 (8)DT 2 (5)LB 1 (9)CB 1(5)S 1 (5)K 0 (1)P 0 (2)

Forgot 2 commits- additional safety and linebacker.

i have to believe we want 1 tb, at least 1 more ol and dl each, 1 or 2 more lbs, and 1 or 2 more dbs.

i have to believe we want 1 tb, at least 1 more ol and dl each, 1 or 2 more lbs, and 1 or 2 more dbs.

I thought they would want one more OL but apparently the only other guy with an offer Thomas Schoaf told 247 sports that Iowa told him it was done with OL for this year and they didn't have room for him anymore.

Wont we have 4 Qb's next year with this year's commit?

The number in paranthesis is players already accounting for 'ships at each spot. So next season we have Rudock, Sokol, and Beathard who account for the (3). The (5) at tailback would be Johnson, Bullock, Canzeri, Garmon and Hill. Etc.

Also forgot about Nate Meier- don't know where he will land but bumps accounted schollies to 68.

Finally I would like Iowa to target at least one tailback, a Mike linebacker, another corner and one more DT. Otherwise best player available.

1x LB, 1x RB seem the most direly needed spots to fill left.

I'd like to see 1x DE/DL and 1x TE added as well.

Perhaps they pulled that kid from southern Indiana's schollie offer because they were thinking they could get a kid from Iowa to walk on easier, as far as another OL recruit..

Maybe Borens is a priority there?? Despite Wisco being his early leader..

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about Dante Copeland and JJ Hahn (In addition to the more publicized Borens), as far as Iowa interest??

Seems like we need some lb's; maybe they're going to "grow" a couple guys. Rb for this year seems concerning.

Or it may just be the best player available. Someone like Young might project into numerous positions..one never knows where some these all around athletes may end up based purely on need.

I'm not sure where our Scholarships stand at, but in this article in another thread, it seems to say we have room for 15 this year.....

‘Several’ commits come in, now it’s 15 | TheGazette

Scholarship math is always somewhat shadowy. Iowa doesn’t announce when it gives walk-ons scholarships, but 15 might put Iowa at the 85 limit for the 2013 season.

According to Rivals.com recruiting rankings, Iowa’s 2013 recruiting class is now No. 26 in the national team rankings. In the Big Ten, only Michigan has more commitments with 22, Rivals’ No. 1 class in the country. Eight schools have more commitments than Iowa at this point. The Hawkeyes are tied with Texas for ninth in the country.

I count 68 players with eligibilty left for next season (including incoming freshman) so that would leave 17 open to me. Account for some attrition (NFL, transfers, injuries etc.) would make 20 about the right number.

A list of Seniors I know have scholarships:
QB JVB, Wienke
FB Gimm
WR Davis (Staggs was a walk on, may have a schollie now)
TE Derby was a walk on, but I think he is on scholarship now.
OL Ferentz (Tobin another former walk on, think he has a schollie)
DL Bigach, Gaglione, McMillan,
LB None, but 4 Jr eligibility this season including 3 projected starters
DB Hyde , Castillo, Swanson (Sleeper and Donatell walk ons, think it is possible they both have schollies)
K/P None
So 11 for sure and up to 15 seniors under Schollie

I count 68 players with eligibilty left for next season (including incoming freshman) so that would leave 17 open to me. Account for some attrition (NFL, transfers, injuries etc.) would make 20 about the right number.

A list of Seniors I know have scholarships:
QB JVB, Wienke
FB Gimm
WR Davis (Staggs was a walk on, may have a schollie now)
TE Derby was a walk on, but I think he is on scholarship now.
OL Ferentz (Tobin another former walk on, think he has a schollie)
DL Bigach, Gaglione, McMillan,
LB None, but 4 Jr eligibility this season including 3 projected starters
DB Hyde , Castillo, Swanson (Sleeper and Donatell walk ons, think it is possible they both have schollies)
K/P None
So 11 for sure and up to 15 seniors under Schollie

Donatell has been put on scholarship. Mossbrucker should be on there.

Last edited:

Latest posts