5 Thoughts

SixAMtailgate

Resisted the urge to get on the message boards right after the game, went to dinner with the wife and did some "way too early" christmas shopping, now 6+ hours later here are the things that are sticking with me.

1. To the people on these boards and those on sound off who were saying that the fans need to understand that "we are Iowa and not a traditional power".......I am ok with that so long as I don't have to keep shelling out my athletic donation in order to pay a coach in the same range as the coaches at those traditional powers.

2. The only thing that would make this loss worse is if Barta takes to the podium on Tuesday to announce a contract extension and a raise for KF.

3. The one good thing about this loss is that the size of the meltdown shows that Iowa fans still care and we are not to a point of apathy like we saw with basketball. But I am fearful that if this type of performance is the norm for the next year and a half you will see fans becoming apathetic.

4. I am more concerned about the coaching staff losing the team than I am about the fans becoming apathetic about Iowa football.

5. Ultimately I think that the defense will continue to decline unless there is a change in philosophy or leadership.

Exceptional post. Agree completely. KF is great at developing talent. When losing to inferior oponents becomes a consistency then changes must be made. KF is paid far to much for the types of losses to go unaddressed.
Definitely concerned about team uniry goibg forward. KF is traditinally a good motivator.

While I think the staff including the coach is great! I think his game plan is poor. I believe he is working w/ the wrong formua for better word.
NFL style.
The reason why we are so vulnerible is not our players, its our game plan?

Resisted the urge to get on the message boards right after the game, went to dinner with the wife and did some "way too early" christmas shopping, now 6+ hours later here are the things that are sticking with me.

1. To the people on these boards and those on sound off who were saying that the fans need to understand that "we are Iowa and not a traditional power".......I am ok with that so long as I don't have to keep shelling out my athletic donation in order to pay a coach in the same range as the coaches at those traditional powers.

2. The only thing that would make this loss worse is if Barta takes to the podium on Tuesday to announce a contract extension and a raise for KF.

3. The one good thing about this loss is that the size of the meltdown shows that Iowa fans still care and we are not to a point of apathy like we saw with basketball. But I am fearful that if this type of performance is the norm for the next year and a half you will see fans becoming apathetic.

4. I am more concerned about the coaching staff losing the team than I am about the fans becoming apathetic about Iowa football.

5. Ultimately I think that the defense will continue to decline unless there is a change in philosophy or leadership.

That's what I was thinking shortly after the game. The biggest test for this coaching staff is how they pull the team together for next week, and the rest of the season. If they lose bad, then Ferentz may not be around another five years. If they win out then I'd say they're the best coaching staff at Iowa ever.

KF goes three down years, three up years, three down years, three up years.

People act like this is unusual. It isn't.

The question is whether having a coach like that is okay with you? Also, whether or not you are okay spending your money during the down years?

The final question is whether or not you can accept that last year was a good year?

Iowa will go to Michigan and have changed nothing on defense...absolutely nothing. Michigan's offense could very well put 600 yards on this Iowa defense and all Norm will say is that Iowa should tackle better.

It is so infuriating to see Iowa's bend and break defense get pounded and picked apart game after game after game and Norm does nothing to change it...absolutely nothing.

Iowa fans saw their last win of the year last week. This coming month, Iowa is going to get pi$$pounded into the ground against at least three of the last four opponents. AND they will go to Purdue and lose to another bad team.

After the Michigan game, Ferentz will have no control over the team. He will have completely lost them like he did last year.

To top it off, good recruits looking at Iowa will begin looking elsewhere because they want to play for a winner not a program quickly going downhill.

They might even want to play for a program with some sizzle!

Ummm, why is everyone picking on the defense. We should have been up 21 points going into the fourth quarter and Minnesota offense had 5 first downs in 3 quarters of football. Granted, they gave up a score with 8 minutes left, but if our coaching staff has their heads out of their butt, we get the ball on the Minnesota side of the field. This loss isn't on the defense. Offensive ineptitude in the red zone (mostly play selection) and poor coaching game decisions.

They did look gassed though at the end of the second drive...one in which should not have been possible.

Latest posts