5 teams that have most exceeded expectations -YAHOO.com

HawkAttack

Five teams that have most exceeded expectations so far this season | The Dagger: College Basketball Blog - Yahoo! Sports

No Iowa on the list, but #1 and #2 are familiar and beating Iowa is now considered a 'Quality Win':

1. Virginia Tech (7-0)
Quality wins: Oklahoma State 81-71, Iowa 95-79, at UNC Greensboro 96-87
Why they've exceeded expectations: When top recruit Montrezl Harrell and highly touted forward Dorian Finney-Smith transferred after Seth Greenberg's firing last spring, Virginia Tech appeared headed for a second straight down season. Instead the Hokies have won seven straight after upsetting 15th-ranked Oklahoma State on Saturday. The biggest reason for Virginia Tech's unexpected rise is that guard Erick Green is playing at an All-American level. He has scored 20 or more points in all seven of the Hokies' games.
Are they legit or a mirage? It's safe to say the Hokies are at least a middle-of-the-pack ACC team, but it's too soon to tout them as an NCAA tournament team. They've yet to win away from home against anyone besides UNC Greensboro. Nonetheless, there's a lot to like about Virginia Tech's torrid start, especially the efficiency in which it is scoring so far. The Hokies lead the ACC in 3-point shooting and in points per possession and they get to the foul line more than any team in the league. Plus, while Green's production will inevitably taper off a bit, he's a real threat in the race for ACC player of the year.

2. Wichita State (8-0)
Quality wins: at VCU 53-51, DePaul 75-62, Iowa 75-63, at Air Force 72-69
Why they've exceeded expectations: Wichita State lost its five leading scorers from last season's NCAA tournament team to graduation, so little was expected of the Shockers this year. Sure, the arrival of junior college standout Cleanthony Early and Oregon transfer Malcolm Armstead offered hope of an upper half finish in the Valley, but even optimists wouldn't have guessed Wichita State would be unbeaten in the first week of December. The impact of Early and the development of Carl Hall have been the biggest factors. That forward duo has combined to average 28.1 points and 14 rebounds so far this season.
Are they legit or a mirage? Creighton is still the best team in the Valley, but it's time to buy the Shockers as a potential NCAA tournament contender and one of the Bluejays two biggest threats along with Illinois State. Very few teams will win at VCU this season, and winning at Air Force is more difficult than most people realize. The formula for success for Wichita State thus far has been smothering defense, control of the glass and an ability to get to the free throw line. More consistency from Armstead would help and poor outside shooting is a concern, but that blueprint will win a lot of games in the Valley this year.

We're ba...ahhh, forget it.

Thank you for not saying it. It's such a bad cliche anyhow....

I'm not liking Illannoy on that list. I was hoping for a few down years to pluck some of the talent across the river. No matter I guess. Caff is recruiting just fine I would say. ;)

Latest posts