5 Observations: Iowa-Rutgers Men's Basketball

I never blame refs for losses. Certainly the JT call at the end of the half is barely worth mentioning. It was close, but we had a half to make up for that and played shitty.

But, that call at the end of the game is worth bringing up. When you make a bad call like that with 2 seconds to go, you really take the game out of the players hands and its the ref who functionally declares the winner. There isn't a person in the arena or at home that would have screamed bloody murder if that foul was NOT called. There was little contact, he was not in the act of shooting, and he still had time to create space and get his shot off. You gotta swallow your whistle in that moment, especially given that fouls like that had not been whistled all night!

I wish refs could be more accountable. Why shouldn't they be interviewed after the game like coaches? Would love to hear the guy say, yep, probably should have let them play on. We all make mistakes, but its easier to take when there is ownership of it.

In close games like that you can probably point to 20 things. So frustrating. Missed FTs the front end of 1 & 1s I hate. I didn't think Rebraca sucked at them but I guess he does. We missed some makeable shots. JBo was terrible pretty much. He had some open looks and just couldn't hit em. Of course the refs all game long not just at the end were tough. A call or 2 goes our way and that's all it'd have taken.

BTW JT got that shot off it shoulda counted

I hate blaming the refs for a loss, because if Iowa had perimeter players who could consistently hit open shoots the Hawks win last night comfortably.

However, that call was horrible. Even Harper turned around not knowing why the whistle was blown. While it may be funny to joke that the ref must have had a flight to catch, or worse he had money on Rutgers, I wonder if refs get so tired of Fran's constant bitching and temper tantrums on the sideline that they subconsciously will call fouls on Iowa that normally they would not on another team?

I hate blaming the refs for a loss, because if Iowa had perimeter players who could consistently hit open shoots the Hawks win last night comfortably.

However, that call was horrible. Even Harper turned around not knowing why the whistle was blown. While it may be funny to joke that the ref must have had a flight to catch, or worse he had money on Rutgers, I wonder if refs get so tired of Fran's constant bitching and temper tantrums on the sideline that they subconsciously will call fouls on Iowa that normally they would not on another team?
By this rationale, Izzo would have 50 fouls called against his team a night.........but I kinda wondered about this myself. My wife was upstairs, and after the game she asked if there was a bad call. I asked how she knew, and she replied because everyone within two doors down from us heard me yell bullshit..........I normally dont jump on the "its bad officiating rants", especially when our play all game was pretty miserable, but you just can't call a foul like that with 2 seconds left when the refs were letting them play as physical as they were all night.

In college football there are definitely Big Ten crews, Big 12 crews etc. that only work games in those conferences and I assume have a boss in the commissioner's office. Does it work the same way in basketball, and the basketball officials are Big Ten employees?

It will be curious to see how long it is before that official gets assigned an Iowa game again. And I doubt he'd be sent to Carver anytime soon, although that would be one way to get the Carver crowd really loud!

In college football there are definitely Big Ten crews, Big 12 crews etc. that only work games in those conferences and I assume have a boss in the commissioner's office. Does it work the same way in basketball, and the basketball officials are Big Ten employees?

It will be curious to see how long it is before that official gets assigned an Iowa game again. And I doubt he'd be sent to Carver anytime soon, although that would be one way to get the Carver crowd really loud!
It has shades of the Jim Bain fiasco........its Deja Vu all over again.....................

I said to my son with a couple minutes left the loser can’t complain. Either team could have won by 20 the way the other played. I thought both deserved to lose…wish we could have pulled out the win. But I’m not blaming the refs with the hundred things we did wrong.

I observe that Minny beat Rutgers with like 7 players and we should have as well. :)

Don't care about the refs in the game. Elsewhere I mentioned that getting some home cooking is part of the home court advantage so I can't complain that Rutgers got a "home" call.

It was there for the taking and you gotta take it.