5 Iowa Football X-Factors in 2024

Lots of good choices for a list like this for sure. Overall it's the health issue. How much depth is there on either line of scrimmage and everywhere else just about. RB and LB I think they are pretty solid at depth wise but you get to the 2 line everywhere else and it's a lot of question marks. If Iowa's going to make serious noise this yr they'll have to stay mostly healthy and have guys catch on quick to the new O.

Good write-up.

McNamara obviously is the biggest X-factor this season (probably the biggest X-factor Iowa football has had coming into a season for many years...). I will say, even if Cade plays well, I hope the staff will find ways to get the back-ups more reps during the season compared to past years.

Another player I'll point out that should make the list is Hayden Large, for two reasons. One, Iowa's run game is exponentially more effective when it has an effective hammer at FB. Two, it is rumored that Lester is going to implement some Shanahan-tree NFL concepts, which not only utilize deceptive pre-snap motion, but also incorporate the H-back role to a large degree. With his receiving experience, Large has the skill set to shine there.

I am curious about the pash rush. Rob mentioned Llewellyn, but a couple of other young guys could also make noise as situational rushers: Brian Allen, Caden Crawford, Kenneth Merriweather. If none of those guys can generate a consistent edge rush, Phil might have to give some of the young edge recruits a chance in obvious pass-rushing situations, or get more creative in using his experienced LBs.

We are deep at DL. Rotating fresh bodies who can create some push and pressure will be key. That has not been too much of an issue the last few years. We have a veteran back 7 that should be in good position most of the time to hopefully give the DL time get after it. This D should be salty.

1) CM’s ability to stay healthy.
2) What do they have on the o-line? They have a lot of experience, but will that translate into a good o-line? We don’t know.
3) Depth among the defensive line. If injuries occur, there is a lot of unknown behind the starters.
4) Getting production out of the wide receivers.
5) Rhys Dakin will not be Tory Taylor, but how close is he?

We are deep at DL. Rotating fresh bodies who can create some push and pressure will be key. That has not been too much of an issue the last few years. We have a veteran back 7 that should be in good position most of the time to hopefully give the DL time get after it. This D should be salty.
I'm not quite as confident in saying that they are deep on the DL. I think the starting 4 are more then solid. But if you get to looking who's behind the DTs and Pittman is about the only one that's had any amount of snaps to speak of. I'm as fired up as anyone for Graves and Black to be out there doing damage I'm just afraid they might have to play too many snaps limiting their effectiveness in 4th qs of games.

DEs yeah I think they have 4 guys for those 2 spots that we should be comfortable seeing out there. I think Brian Allen could make a name for himself this yr. So we'll see about that. We really need Craig to play like we wished he woulda last yr. That'd be huge for the DL.

The depth chart shows that they listed 3-deep at every DL spot. There are very few other positions going 3-deep. I know some of those names have not seen snaps, but that was just a numbers game last year. The coaches have been very high on some of these young guys. We have 4 stud starters, and a couple back-ups who have played some and looked good. I am confident a couple more guys will step up this season. When Iowa rotates 7-8 guys along that front, the defense is tough to beat. DL is not my worry. Cornerback depth is about it for me on D.

I am curious about the pash rush. Rob mentioned Llewellyn, but a couple of other young guys could also make noise as situational rushers: Brian Allen, Caden Crawford, Kenneth Merriweather. If none of those guys can generate a consistent edge rush, Phil might have to give some of the young edge recruits a chance in obvious pass-rushing situations, or get more creative in using his experienced LBs.
I forgot to mention in my post that I was glad to see Rob include Llewellyn amongst his five. I think he is a big break-out candidate this season. He doesn't get much press, but by the end of the season he may end up being one of Iowa's most impactful players if he stays healthy.

I just meant that X was in his name, not for any performance or expectation reasons.

Ah. Sorry. Misunderstood. I think he will take a step forward this fall. His physical development and improved knowledge should click together for him to meet his potential. It would make Iowa's defense better by being able to keep Castro at cash.

Ah. Sorry. Misunderstood. I think he will take a step forward this fall. His physical development and improved knowledge should click together for him to meet his potential. It would make Iowa's defense better by being able to keep Castro at cash.
I was wrong about Castro being at cash last yr. I kinda thought flipping he and XN woulda been a better fit. I thought having a taller longer cash woulda been the way to go But Castro at the cash has been as good of a fit as there's ever been.

The depth chart shows that they listed 3-deep at every DL spot. There are very few other positions going 3-deep. I know some of those names have not seen snaps, but that was just a numbers game last year. The coaches have been very high on some of these young guys. We have 4 stud starters, and a couple back-ups who have played some and looked good. I am confident a couple more guys will step up this season. When Iowa rotates 7-8 guys along that front, the defense is tough to beat. DL is not my worry. Cornerback depth is about it for me on D.

Hubert and Gaffney are walk-ons. Bowie was a promising recruit but he hasn't seen significant snaps. I'm not as comfortable with the D-Line depth as you are. More than anything, injuries could really test this group.

Hubert and Gaffney are walk-ons. Bowie was a promising recruit but he hasn't seen significant snaps. I'm not as comfortable with the D-Line depth as you are. More than anything, injuries could really test this group.
I get it. Iowa is never more than an injury or two away from being behind the 8ball no matter what position we are discussing. We are not Ohio State.

I think KF and the Parkers learned after the Clayborn senior year that rotating in backups with lesser talent, but who are fresh, is better than playing an All-American every snap. Keeping a fresh DL is wise and I expect we will see a rotation whether the youngsters are fully ready or not.

I'm not quite as confident in saying that they are deep on the DL. I think the starting 4 are more then solid. But if you get to looking who's behind the DTs and Pittman is about the only one that's had any amount of snaps to speak of. I'm as fired up as anyone for Graves and Black to be out there doing damage I'm just afraid they might have to play too many snaps limiting their effectiveness in 4th qs of games.

DEs yeah I think they have 4 guys for those 2 spots that we should be comfortable seeing out there. I think Brian Allen could make a name for himself this yr. So we'll see about that. We really need Craig to play like we wished he woulda last yr. That'd be huge for the DL.

I wish Anterio Thompson would have stayed. His size was a bit unconventional, but that dude was explosive as hell.

Latest posts