5-7 teams going bowling?

judzeehawk

With the BIG changing the landscape of scheduling I was curious to see how Hawkeye Nation feels toward a 5-7 team going bowling. Prime example is if we beat the fuskers they will still have a chance to go to a bowl game. I can't see such a power house as nebby accepting a bid. Would that not prove that they are no longer what they think they are?

With the BIG changing the landscape of scheduling I was curious to see how Hawkeye Nation feels toward a 5-7 team going bowling. Prime example is if we beat the fuskers they will still have a chance to go to a bowl game. I can't see such a power house as nebby accepting a bid. Would that not prove that they are no longer what they think they are?

Fans might say that, but coaches will almost always take the added practice time. I could see a highly egotistical coach declining, but I don't think Riley is that way.

Is the 5-7 thing JUST to fill conference-affiliated slots? If so, those bowls need to be able to give those to 6-6 -or-better teams from non-P5 and other loser conferences and/or independents. Or, frankly, let 7-5-or-better FCS teams fill them. ANYthing but a 5-7 team that finishes nowhere NEAR the top of its conference.

There has been at least one exception that I remember. North Texas, at 5-7, won their conference about 10 years (approx.) ago and got the exemption as league champ, as that league (Sun Belt?) only had one tie-in, and North Texas actually went undefeated in conference play, IIRC.

It's bad enough there are so many bowls that 6-6 teams are "needed". The fact a 5-7 team from a P5 can get a bowl bid is ridiculous.