4th Quarter defense needs an overhaul

jo12208

In ALL of our 6 losses last year and today, Iowa's opponents needed a touchdown to win or tie the game in the last 5 minutes or so. In ALL 6 of those losses the opposing team marched down the field in the last few minutes.

Something needs to change.

I think you meant 4 quarters of defense needs an overhaul? Combine today with last year, and I feel like we're in some sort of downhill slide. Very worrisome.

In ALL of our 6 losses last year and today, Iowa's opponents needed a touchdown to win or tie the game in the last 5 minutes or so. In ALL 6 of those losses the opposing team marched down the field in the last few minutes.

Something needs to change.

You are absolutely right. All our games last year and this one today. We did blitz today a lot more than we have in the past so we did try to change it up, but we've lost a ton of games recently when we just had to make one play to end a game. Today all we had to do was stop a 3rd and 15 or a 3rd and 20 and game over. We didn't do it. That is a bad sign for me.

Today all we had to do was stop a 3rd and 15 or a 3rd and 20 and game over. We didn't do it. That is a bad sign for me.

That 3rd and 20 was the most disconcerting for me. Had I not already had those "Northwestern feelings" going through me, that would have clinched it. I have no earthly idea, on a 3rd and 20, why our CB's wouldn't drop deep, force a short throw, come up and make a tackle and force ISU to convert on 4th and medium/long. Depressing...

I don't think the entire defense needs an overhaul, but the situational defense sure needs one. Were my eyes deceiving me today, or on that 3rd and 20 were we in a based 4-3 playing just 2 safeties? How in the world are there not 6 DBs in with 3 deep safeties in a coverage that not only allows, but forces ISU to throw something underneath?

I think our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarter defense needs overhauled :) ... This year we will need to rely on our offense to carry the load ...

I don't think the entire defense needs an overhaul, but the situational defense sure needs one. Were my eyes deceiving me today, or on that 3rd and 20 were we in a based 4-3 playing just 2 safeties? How in the world are there not 6 DBs in with 3 deep safeties in a coverage that not only allows, but forces ISU to throw something underneath?

YES! I like Norm's strategy and I do NOT want to have a complete over-haul BUT I do want him to make subtle changes in different situations. I would like to see him mix in a couple more blitzes to give a qb a little pressure. The main thing I think would help us is to walk our corners up tighter and not give the huge cushion on 3rd and longs....

YES! I like Norm's strategy and I do NOT want to have a complete over-haul BUT I do want him to make subtle changes in different situations. I would like to see him mix in a couple more blitzes to give a qb a little pressure. The main thing I think would help us is to walk our corners up tighter and not give the huge cushion on 3rd and longs....

Totally agree. I've always said the same thing about mixing in more blitzes. But how many times did they try it today? How many times did it work out...? I would've killed to see some corner blitzing with someone like Spivey in years past. Almost seems like they blitz more now with less experience on D than they did with our recent Juggernauts.. Could just be me.

Regarding the blitzes, it's not just that we need more blitzing. We also need more bluff blitzing. Whenever we show blitz, we blitz. I'm sure I've missed some, but I really can't recall ever seen us crowd the line, show blitz and then back off at the snap. So even when we do blitz it's not quite as effective because the QB and o-line can see it coming and know it's coming.

Latest posts